Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Media makes the case for why Georgia football can repeat as National Champions in 2022

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageNational Media makes the case for why Georgia football can repeat as National Champions in 2022

Georgia football has a chance to repeat as National Champions this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not sold on Alabama. Bryce isn't a superstar, regardless how the media spins it. If you put pressure on him, he won't play well. Their coordinators are not as good as they once were when kirby and lane were there. There is more opportunity than in the past.

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I respectfully disagree with you, kind sir. I do believe that Bryce Young is a super star and in my humble opinion, a true generational QB. Just like Stetson Bennett, not all INTs are the QB's fault. Sometimes it's the result of wrong routes by intended targets or miscommunications. Bryce is highly mobile, has extremely high football IQ, can see the entire field while on the move, has a cannon arm and is very accurate. However, I think the Dawgs can beat Bama this year because of Bama's weak O-Line and no depth in that one area.

• pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited July 2022

All right genius. If Bryce Young isn't a superstar, who is? Give me the list of QBs who would have done better than Bryce Young against UGA's historically dominant defense while stuck with a mediocre OL, no breakaway threats at TB and without their two best WRs in a rematch that gave 3 of the best defensive minds in football - Smart, Muschamp, Lanning - a whole month to prepare after they got torched 41-24 the first time. I am certain that you can come up with a very long list of "real superstars." That's right, Young set the SEC championship game record for total offense and passing yards against the UGA defense that had all those draft picks, yet somehow isn't a superstar.

As for Bill O'Brien versus Lane Kiffin, that is rich. Kiffin lost the title in the first round of the 2014 playoff to an Ohio State team playing their third string QB because he only called 13 running plays for Derrick Henry. He had Blake Sims, a converted RB, throw the ball 36 times and he threw the game away with 3 INTs. Yes, Bama beat Clemson the next year but only because Watson had to play that game without his two best WRs, Mike Williams and Deon Cain. He only had Hunter Renfrow, who was a true freshman at the time. The next year Bama lost again thanks to - again - Kiffin's playcalling. Hurts didn't play great but - again - you should call more running plays when you are getting seven yards per carry AND you need to keep Deshaun Watson off the field. And by the way, though O'Brien got fired by the Texans at least he won a few playoff games for that franchise first. Which is a lot better than how Lane Kiffin's stint with the Raiders went.

Good grief, what is wrong with some of you people? There's homerism, and there's somehow forgetting that the mighty Kiffin went 1-2 in the playoff against much less talented Ohio State and Clemson squads. And oh yeah, and that Smart's defenses were roasted for 40 and 42 points in those games by Ohio State and Clemson offenses that weren't even at full strength.

Also, it isn't even going to be a 2 team thing this year anyway. Expect both Ohio State and Clemson to be back. The Buckeyes are probably going to be better than Alabama on offense (they will have a much better OL) and of course you remember how UGA's offense only produced a field goal against Clemson's defense last season. Thinking that the college football landscape is this duopoloy between Alabama and UGA is delusional. UGA has won the same number of titles in the playoff era as Ohio State and LSU, one less title than Clemson, and has made the playoff less times than Ohio State and Clemson (and the same number of times as Notre Dame). It really does seem as if UGA fans are somehow thinking that only the 2021 and 2017 seasons are the only ones in college football history or something.

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

We can repeat. It is possible, it's always hard and never easy. This applies in all things of life, Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17. Go Dawgz Sic'em.😎

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of course they had to say it..."They're not better than Alabama."

I hope Kirby plasters that ALL over the locker room!

"Who's that coming down the track? It's a mean machine in red & black!"

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2022

IMHO, the only thing that Kirby has whiffed on this off-season was missing the opportunity around that Media Days "hunted" question to leave a more memorable one-liner: "we won't be the hunted, we'll be the hunter"... but maybe, per Herbstreit, CKS was "crazy like a fox" to not give other SEC programs bulletin board material 😁🤣💪

Other than that, 5-star off-season so far!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Young's mobility??? LOL. That's a good one. He managed 0 (zero) yds on 81 rushing attempts last year and took 39 sacks behind a better offensive line than he's gonna have this year. @jdatl3 is right....the jury's still out on him. Let's see how he does behind a mediocre offensive line with average receivers....then we'll talk.

And as for "homers"...you sound like a BAMA Homer, except even BAMA Fans were calling for the heads of O'Brien and Golden last year. Besides the A&M game, they almost blew games to FLA, LSU and AUB. They also allowed ARK and TENN to hang around make a legitimate run at beating them.

LOL...You stand by your little statistics if you want to. Like Dan Mullin said after the Kentucky loss, "We didn't beat em on the scoreboard, but, we had more yards than they did.". A moral victory, right?

I can think of a few teams that will probably be better than BAMA this year, and Clemson ain't one of em. How long you been a Dawg Fan? 10 years? Where were you in 2007 or 2012. UGA's been knocking on the door with 10-12 win seasons for a while. Last I checked, there's only 1 Champion declared every year. or at least since GT split the Natty in 1990 and College Football moved into the BCS era.

It's not so much about what UGA's done, but, more about program trajectory. I like where their headed and I don't think we've seen nothin' yet. Clemson is all but done...stick a fork in em. OSU will probably be among the final 4, we'll see. It's not just about having the talent...it's what can you do with em when you get em. By all rights, OSU had the "talent" to be there last year...but, you have to WIN THE GAMES.

FYI...For those of you out there that care....Vegas has Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State at 78% probability to be in the CFP vs the field. The 4th team in is a toss-up.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SOme of you need to get real....Byrce is a Super Star. Go back and rewatch the NC game. Without MEtchie and without Williams in the 2nd half he led his team to a virtual comeback against a generational defense. He hit his receivers in the hands with passes as he was scrambling and they stone cold dropped them or let them bounce off their hands or pads. LOL! I'm glad we won, but that loss wasn't on Young, he played as cool as a cucumber aside from that one inteception by RIngo. Any other QB and that game is over by halftime.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh, and there's alread talk about the Falcons drafting him with the first pick. Any Falcon fans out there like to have him as your next QB? I would in a heart beat.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Personally, I think our chances of repeating as National Champions depends on 2 key things:

1) Limiting Injuries - especially next month leading up to the start of the season. Most major injuries occur during practices and outside actual games. I'll be holding my breath the entire month of August hoping for no major injury headlines.

2) How well Stetson (or whichever QB) and the offense perform. The offense will probably need to improve since they won't have the experienced stellar defense of last season to lean on.

Once again, our SEC slate sets up nicely for winning the East, and we'd have to make a major blunder to miss out on the SEC Championship game if we play up to Kirby's standards.

For the most part,, I agree. The injury bug has been UGA's biggest rivalry over the last few years. It'd be nice to, at least, see em get through a Fall camp with no significant injuries, for a change. LOL

If Bennett goes down early in the year, I don't think they stand much of a chance of getting to the CFP. I'm not convinced, yet, that the Dawgs have enough peripheral talent/experience to override the inexperience of the other 3 QB's. They need to get Beck and BVG involved in the offense, early and often.

Remember when Bennett was injured in the FLA game, in 2020? All they had to fall back on, was an inexperienced Dwan Mathis. Their season was over. Doesn't matter that Daniels started the next week, losing the FLA game was an unrecoverable loss and kept em out of the SECC.

I don't care who you are...winning a Championship requires a little luck and fortunate timing. BAMA has had more than their share of both, (until last year's post season)...throw in some positive media hype and favorable officiating, and you see the difference between BAMA and other equally talented and well coached teams, over the last decade, or so.

All that is catching up to em. You can't ride the Ferris Wheel forever. I think the mighty BAMA is going to join mere mortals, this year and Saban is going to be drawn toward the light (retirement). It'll be the end of an era, but, the beginning of another..."The Decade of the Dawg". The College Football world will be participating in "The Kirby Derby, with UGA ridin' in The Smart Kart". LOL

Go Dawgs...Git 'er done.