Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia 2021 ‘No-Name Defense’ shorted on ESPN all-time defense list

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia 2021 ‘No-Name Defense’ shorted on ESPN all-time defense list

ATHENS — The 2021 Georgia defense deserves better than what ESPN is doling out when it comes to its assigned all-time ranking.

Read the full story here

Comments

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, when I read that a couple of days ago, I was really disappointed in ESPN. I figured since the picture of Walker was on the website main page, we would be at least top 5. But I think it was just lazy writing and he just lumped the years together of the same team so he didn’t have to spread them out!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

I guess it's not an official stat for some reason, but it should be, and I'm surprised it gets as overlooked as it does in these discussions - net scoring defense. This Georgia defense made it like halfway through the season before permanently surrendering more points than they scored. I'd be curious to see how any of the defenses supposedly ranked ahead of them compare in that.

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

It's the against UGA bias, again...😎

UGA is motivated regardless, but yeah this adds to it for the season. As diehard fans we never say die and we never give up. Go Dawgz Sic'em.😎

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

See, this list is why freedom of the press is not that good of an idea/s

• pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

Yeah, this list is total garbage. It doesn't have any of the 1990s FSU or Nebraska defenses on it. Those 1990s FSU defenses were crazy. Their backups would get drafted and go on to have long NFL careers. And as for Nebraska, let us just say that SEC fans remember their defenses well after they crushed Florida and Tennessee in a pair of title games. And those weren't fraud products of a weak SEC, as the Gators and Vols both won national titles the next year.

Also, everyone knows that the best defenses the Miami Hurricanes ever had were in the Jimmy Johnson era. One of Johnson's teams was upset over being passed up for a national title game so they took it out on poor Arkansas in a bowl game. Miami racked up more penalty yards on personal fouls that their defense racked up on purpose than Arkansas generated on offense! And finally those Warren Sapp/Ray Lewis defenses in the mid-90s were better than the 1991 squad.

A combination of recency bias and clickbait.

• pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

First don't bite my head off ... I take a contrarian stance often but it is difficult to argue that perhaps the best front seven ever combined with 1st rounder Lewis Cine, draft pick Derion Kendrick and Keelee Ringo and several veterans in the alleged weak link secondary isn't one of the best all time.

With that being said, 2021 was NOT a good year for the SEC offensively. And by playing in the SEC East, UGA avoided 2 of the 3 best offenses in the SEC (the Mississippi schools).

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another espn "expert" at work..🤡

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It makes no sense to rate three years of defenses as if they were the same squads -- especially with all the year-to-year turnover nowadays. It makes even less sense to rate defenses from two different schools in the same year as if they're the same "defense."

The whole list is riddled with inconsistencies. In rating the '16-'17 Bama defense No. 1, Connelly writes that he's more impressed with "allowing a few points in an era of offensive explosion" than "allowing almost no points in an era when points were a rarity." Yet he rates at least 10 defenses from pre-explosive-offense era ahead of Georgia. AND Georgia actually gave up fewer points than either of those two Alabama squads -- the fewest since 2011 in fact! Maybe, he should have been plainer about it by writing that he's impressed with "allowing a few points in an era of offensive explosion, except if it's Georgia."

I'm not one who believes the media has a built-in bias against UGA. Our own biases make it difficult to evaluate the slants of others and natural for us get chips on our shoulders. But it does irritate me to see such obvious misinformation at Georgia's expense. I don't know if Connelly was just going out of his way to write something controversial or was just sleepwalking through the article. But ranking last year's generational defense outside the five or so -- and outside probably top two in this century -- is ridiculous.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone is entitled to their opinions so I feel I’m no exception. To me there Absolutely IS a Clear bias with some sports media outlets In Particular ESPN. USA Today is another so called sports media outlet that would much rather drink raw green persimmon juice than give the Dawgs any credit !! I used to try to maintain a logical stand and tell myself No it’s just all in my mind. But if something burns you so many times you just might figure out that what ever that something is is Hot !! The Only way that the UGA Dawgs are get sustained credibility and respect is to Take It !! That means continue to Win, Win, Win at the highest levels consistently !! Since Kirby has been HC at UGA he and his coaching staff and players have pretty much Done That, including a Ntl. Title. But it’s Still not enough for ESPN and USA Today and some more sports media outlets. Kirby and our beloved Dawgs will have to end this coming season & post season At A Minimum of #3 in my opinion or those same folks will be calling Kirby and our Dawgs one hit wonders. Sad but so. If Kirby could pull off a repeat and win it All again that would be Huge in slapping the pie in the faces of these “experts” !! I really think he has the coaching staff and players to pull it off, if not a repeat I think Very, Very close to the top. We’ll see……… Go Dawgs !!

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

I couldn't read it because I don't subscribe, but did the guy compare draft positions for the greatest D's like Mike did between Bama's best and the Dawgs of '21? UGA set the all-time record for total draft picks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we also set the record for the highest average defensive drafts ever. We appear to be stronger than Bama's supposedly greatest D, as their defensive average pick is a little over 100 and ours is just over 60. That's not counting punters and comparing the 8 vs 8 average. Obviously, that's a professional second opinion on the quality of the teams being compared, and Bama's supposed best ever can't hold a candle to the Dawgs of '21!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...I don't subscribe, either...and NEVER WILL!!!

This is what happens when you have kids that have been warped by their liberal HS & College Professors. They become reporters for the likes of ESPN and spew out any ole garbage that will create controversy. That's what they live on. They aren't serious reporters. In fact there aren't many serious reporters left. It's all about click-bait and controversy. The more controvery...the more Twitter and Facebook activity. The more Twitter/Facebook activity...the more advertising exposure...and dollars. It's all bent and crooked.

Finebaum had one of these millennial smurfs on, from "College Football News" (CFN), the other day, that actually predicted, Florida would finish 9-3 this season with a possible win over UGA. Needless to say, Paul made mincemeat of him. LOL