Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football assistants Glenn Schumann, Dell McGee share thoughts on becoming a head coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,567 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football assistants Glenn Schumann, Dell McGee share thoughts on becoming a head coach

Dell McGee and Glenn Schumann offer up their thoughts on possibly becoming head coaches one day.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Class acts! I wish the best for these men, but hope that they can continue to be with Georgia as long as possible. The quality of their coaching shows every time their players hit the field. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

A true asset having Dell McGee on the UGA Staff. Obviously a great coach, recruiter, and also great man, on, and off the field. It'll be a big loss for UGA when he gets that chance to be a Head Coach. No doubt he'll have the desire to win and he will have plenty of support to help him. Not many coaches would have worn a players Jersey, but McGee did just that, to support James Cook when his father passed away. That speaks volumes about the kind of person Dell McGee really is..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Both coaches are crack at their specific jobs...but I suspect it is just a matter of time before they get the call to head coach. I cannot see them making lateral moves to another school. McGee says he already feels like a head coach of his specific areas of control. Great attitude. My feeling is Schumann will be the first to leave. He is young and a real dynamic leader on the field. A lot like Lanning. I hope they stick around for a while more. Monken has already turned down opportunities.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby was smart hiring McGee when he had little college coaching experience. After 10 years as an assistant and head coach in high school, he had his first year in college ball as an off-the-field analyst for Auburn(just more evidence of why Auburn is how they are by letting him get away after one year). Heck he could be their head coach by now and they would be much better off with him! Heck he even went to Auburn! When they come calling him one day and they probably will, I hope he turns em' down! But he probably wouldn't.

But 1 year at 45 minutes away from his home at AU, 1 year at GA Southern as a RB coach and the next year RB coach and assistant HC and then Kirby snatched him up when he wasn't chosen to fill the HC opening at GSU.

Like someone else said, he is a good man, cares about the kids, it was hard for him to leave being HC in high school leaving the kids in that area of Columbus and where they won state championships or were top contenders every year. But 10 years in high school ball and it was very hard and he hated to leave but said it was time for him to put his family first. It didn't take long, 3 years and then he was hired by Kirby. 3 years and he went from a high school coach making peanuts to probably quadrupling his salary. And now he is getting close to knocking on a million a year.

He deserves it. He cares about the kids. He works hard, does a really good job and is trusted by Kirby. He is a really good recruiter. He is a really good person.

First time I spoke with him was when UGA was recruiting Crowell HARD, our church was giving an end of the season banquet for his football players and their families. He said it was rough how hard UGA was recruiting Crowell, he didn't seem to care for the pressure they were putting on Crowell at all(and probably him too somewhat), telling them Richt would probably get fired if Crowell didn't pick UGA and bugging them everyday. Crowell was the #1 rated RB in the nation and if UGA lost him it would been a very bad look. One thing I did like at the time was that he was set dead against him going to his alma mater Auburn! Who was recruiting Crowell just as hard as anyone.

But a half dozen or more of the men at church would go up to that particular high school, once a week during the football season and provide meals to the players after practice, the day before their games. Being around McGee and his program, it was easy to see how much he cared about those young men and their futures but also what a no-nonsense coach he was. And he had his hands very full, lot of kids from broken homes and tough backgrounds and circumstances, but he had those players respect and he provided them an alternative and hope. It helps when you are winning and playing for state championships yearly to have respect and to see the hope with the players signing scholarships. The guy before him was there for 30 years or so, Wallace Davis, who coached 15 players that made it to the NFL and that played in 8 Super Bowls, but when McGee took over when he retired, that program went to another level from what it had been the last 15-20 years and immediately! It wasn't where McGee went to high school, Kendrick, it was Carver and in a more disadvantaged and rougher part of town. But it was night and day when he took over.

Hard to leave them kids, but he said he had to go take care of his family and he has succeeded. He probably will make this year alone at UGA what would have taken him at least 15 years to make if he stayed in high school! Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Thank God that he is at UGA and not at Auburn! I bet he does too!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great coaches!!