Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia QB takeaways from Scrimmage One sends Kirby Smart to film room

SystemSystem Posts: 10,460 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia QB takeaways from Scrimmage One sends Kirby Smart to film room

ATHENS — Kirby Smart was uncharacteristically reserved when asked to asses Georgia quarterback play following Scrimmage One on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

The good news is that Bennett has most always found ways to be good enough to win, even on his toughest days.

That's a throw-away line. We shall see if Smart's assessment of quarterbacks is as questionable as many think. I hope I'm wrong. I hope he proves me wrong, but letting go the stellar quarterbacks that he has in favor of inferior ones gives me pause.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2022

@Tom_Bomadil

First off great handle you got there.

CKS goes with the safe, reliable choice at QB rather than taking risks with more talented but less consistent players to increase offensive production at the cost of more mistakes. Some people think that UGA wins more titles had CKS did what Saban and Swinney did in benching Hurts and Bryant for more talented players. That is impossible to know. What we do know is that CKS's approach has made recruiting QBs, WRs and RBs harder, as those players are going to schools that play QBs with more ability and use them to throw more, especially downfield. Does UGA win more titles if Smart had recruited as many 1st round picks on offense as on defense? Now THAT is a good question. The only QB, WR, TE or RB to be drafted in the first round in the CKS era was Sony Michel, and he was a Richt recruit. Clemson and Bama have had a lot more than that and have won more titles. And we are still seeing how even with trophy in hand UGA is doing much better recruiting top 100 players on defense than offense, with the elite offense guys they are getting mostly being OL and TE. At some point CKS may change philosophy if only to keep up in recruiting.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2022

Stetson Bennett is without a doubt, the best QB in GA's current QB room, in terms of executions and making plays. He's currently still the QB that gives GA the best chances of winning. If you can't see that, then that means your analytical skills is not your strong suit and the issues lie with you and not with Stetson Bennett. If you really need a place to channel all your hatred and frustrations, then the best place to do that would be the "mirror."

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m curious about what games we would have definitely won if those “5-star” QBs had stayed on campus…..especially Fields and Eason. Please don’t mention the Florida game because Bennett had us up by 14 points before his injury or the Bama game because Fields lost by 11 points more than Bennett to the same team…..and Stetson played in Tuscaloosa while Justin played on a neutral field. I find it interesting how some folks think the outcomes would have been so different if our 5-stars had stayed and played. Maybe we would have crushed LSU in the SEC CG had those guys played……NOT!!! Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2022

Are you responding to what I wrote or what you believe that I wrote? What I actually did write:

"Some people think that UGA wins more titles had CKS did what Saban and Swinney did in benching Hurts and Bryant for more talented players. That is impossible to know." Got that? If you only wish to argue by pretending that I wrote something other than that, please do me a favor and don't respond. Go tilt at windmills someplace else. I will say this though: Fields lost by 11 points more than Bennett to the same team. Yeah, genius but not WITH the same team. The draft after 2021, Fields was Ohio State's only #1 draft pick. Alabama had 6 #1 picks. Clearly the more talented team than Ohio State. And yes, UGA had 15 draft picks, 5 in the first round, so way more talented than 2021 Ohio State also. My guess? Replace Fields with SB IV on UGA and they likely still win the title. Meanwhile replace Fields with SB IV on Ohio State and they win 7 games at best. UGA is a defensive program under CKS where the offense and especially the passing game doesn't do much. Ohio State is an offensive program under Ryan Day that requires a QB who can make plays all over the field, including the situations that CKS and Monken used their great defense and running game to keep SB IV out of last season. That is why the last 2 QBs to start under Ryan Day's system have been 1st round draft picks and the current one will likely be the #1 pick in the draft. By contrast CKS has produced a 5th round pick who is out of the NFL already and another guy in SB IV whose only shot at getting drafted in the 7th round (likely by the Falcons to placate angry UGA fans) will be by winning back-to-back titles.

In any event, even if you believe SB IV to be the next Joe Montana the fact is that he will be gone after this season. Another fact is that UGA won't be able to take advantage of the simultaneous declines at Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Miami, FSU and Florida to recruit a defense that holds teams to 6.9 points a game again. Florida, Miami and Tennessee have the #9, #10 and #11 recruiting classes, currently, all of which contain players that would have come to UGA in the recent past. Meanwhile South Carolina under Beamer is signing a good class "for them" so more of the same, and Auburn will rectify their mistake of hiring a Boise coach who can't recruit the southeast and likely raid the Alabama and UGA staffs for guys who can by November.

So my second ACTUAL point - UGA under their current system is only able to recruit elite OLs and TEs on offense - is about to become VERY important. We already know from the 2017 NCG, the 2018 SECCG, the 2019 SECCG and the 2021 SECCG that what Kirby Smart has built in Athens doesn't do so hot in second half shootouts. And yes, the only reason why Alabama wasn't able to turn the 2021 NCG into a second half shootout is because they didn't have their WRs. Of course, as Brandon Adams pointed out in a recent podcast, Saban and Alabama fans should blame subpar recruiting and development for the fact that Alabama in 2021 had only 2 guys on their whole roster capable of making plays catching the ball - and no one capable of making plays running it as well as problems on their OL - to begin with. Injuries are part of the game so if you are going to be so reliant on 2 guys in the first place things are likely going to fall apart. If those guys had gotten hurt in preseason or earlier in the season like UGA's WRs did, Alabama doesn't even make the playoff to begin with. But facts are still facts. UGA would have been hard-pressed to beat a loaded offense in the playoffs last year like Alabama had in 2020, LSU in 2019, Clemson in 2018 and 2016, Alabama in 2015, Ohio State in 2014 etc. and that is something that is going to need to be fixed going forward.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow, 9 practices and 1 scrimmage into the '22 season, and SBIV's detractors are already babbling nonsense. Hey Stetson, what have you done for them lately lol? Tough crowd...

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m so sick of hearing the stinking excuses that the team we beat for the national championship were missing their best WRs and now some Georgia fans are even saying it. Good grief. Our last 3 TDs scored in the game were by a freshman WR, a freshman TE and a redshirt freshman DB. I don’t want to hear that stinking excuse anymore. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

Dang,

I’ve never seen someone respond with a lengthy essay and not get close to answering a simple question. I didn’t imply the Mailman was better than Fields or the other 5-stars. Never even hinted at that so you need to work on your reading skills. All I asked was exactly what games have we lost that we likely would have won if our 5-stars had all stayed on campus. Simple question….that’s all. Go Dawgs!!!