Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart challenges Dillon Bell to emerge as next productive Georgia football freshman receiver

SystemSystem Posts: 11,108 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart challenges Dillon Bell to emerge as next productive Georgia football freshman receiver

Georgia freshman wide receiver Dillon Bell is making an early impact at Georgia. But Kirby Smart wants more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

WAIT! I have it on good authority that you don't build real champion teams with depth at WR.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad to hear the 3 star is doing well. Good luck to him.

WR has always been a difficult position for us to acquire. In the 2022 class we got (2) 4-stars and (2) 3-stars. Alabama got (3) 4-stars and a 4-star transfer. In 2021, we got (2) 3-stars while Bama got (1) 5-star, (3) 4-stars and (1) 3-star transfer.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's ok to have depth at WR, as long as you don't go developing your freshmen. One of these days Smart will learn...

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BEst receiver we've had in a while, just fell in our lap on signing day-Pickens, I don't even think he knows why he switched to UGA at the last second.

Hard to recruit the best receivers when you only average 20 tosses a game and you have the best TE's in the country. Not enough balls to go around.

And if the team you're considering playing for gets up by a couple of scores in the 3rd quarter the offense gets shut down the rest of the game. Can you say block?

All of that says nothing about winning or losing, just speaks to a mindset. Maybe this season we raise the average number of tosses to Oh, say 25 and still win the NC!

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2022

@reddawg1 The reason why Pickens chose UGA was well-documented: though this has been vehemently denied by those with an interest in doing so, there were indeed questions whether Pickens would academically qualify in time to be eligible for the 2019 season and what route he would take (prep school, JUCO etc.) if he didn't. That caused Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma etc. to take a "wait-and-see" approach. UGA gambled that he would and made a hard push, so Pickens justifiably went to the place that worked the hardest to land him. It is fair to say that UGA believed in Pickens more than the other schools did, and Pickens chose the school that showed the most faith in him. And UGA's gamble - or as it is fair to say their faith in Pickens - helped them win the title.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A lot of talk about DBell stepping up or needing to step up. What does that say about Blaylock, Meeks and MRJ? Guys will get hurt but Mitchell, McConky, KJ, Blaylock, Meeks, MRJ, ASmith should all be ahead of Bell at this time. With BB, AG and possibly Delp occasionally being able to split out or slot not sure why CKS is fixated on DBell developing quickly.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Oldddawg76 and @E_Roc:

I think the best approach to winning a national title is a defense that holds opponents to 6.9 points per game in the regular season. If you are certain that UGA can deliver this on a regular basis - as opposed to the possibility that 2021 was special due to a combination of the "pandemic year" extra eligibility and UGA benefiting from simultaneous recruiting collapses at LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, FSU, Florida and Miami - then sure, keep up the snark. The reality is that Beamer, Cristobal and particularly Napier have already landed commits from defensive players in the 2023 and 2024 classes that their predecessors allowed to waltz right to Athens (especially Napier, who in the past few months has gotten 8 commits from defensive players that UGA offered, including from a metro Atlanta safety and a metro Atlanta linebacker).

It was the 5 first round draft picks on defense (plus Butkus Award winner Nakobe Dean, All-SEC CB Derion Kendrick and 3rd round pick Channing Tindall ... to speak nothing of Jalen Carter, Robert Beal, Nolan Smith, Zion Logue, Kelee Ringo, Chris Smith and Will Poole that are going to be drafted in the first 3 rounds this year or next) that allowed UGA to win a national title without a WR that reached 500 yards receiving. Only if you are absolutely confident that CKS can keep that historic talent level coming should you continue with the WR snark.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

None of BAMA's so-called 4-star recruits stepped up after their 4-star transfer went down. The only reliable receiver they had last year, other than Williams (transfer), was Metchie (injured). Bolden did okay, but, he's gone, too. If Jermaine Burton is considered their best receiver in 2022...BAMA is worse off than UGA at the WR position. IMO.

That said, it was UGA's receivers that stepped up and made plays in the CFP...Pickens, Mitchell, Jackson, Cook and Bowers. That's right...UGA uses more than just the WR position to employ it's passing game.

"Star ratings", out of High School, do not equate to College success. It's only a projection of a player's potential. There are as many misses as there are hits, when it comes to those ratings. A lot of guys exceed their rating, while others never live up to it. It's just an educated guess and some Teams are better at evaluating talent than others.

I believe that Kirby Smart was equally responsible for BAMA's success, early in Saban's BAMA run. Everybody assumes Saban taught Kirby everything he knows. I don't believe that was the case. I think they fed off of each other and Smart was Saban's recruiting ace-in-the-hole.

Coaches don't put as much stock in those ratings as Fans do. If they did, guys like Jordan Davis, Ladd McConkey and Stetson Bennett, would never get a shot at playing for a Power 5 team.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...Yep, you're wrong. The low football IQ of Gator Fans never ceases to amaze me.

Was it Nakobe Dean that ran for 70 uds yards to set up UGA's go-ahead TD in CFCG...or maybe that was actually little 3-star Jordan Davis that caught the finishing 50 yd TD in the corner of the endzone.

UGA had a helluva "Team" in 2021 and EVERYBODY had the COVID year benefit...Everybody, including LSU, FLA, BAMA, and all the other teams on your selective radar. Some of the Dawgs that left last year, had another year of eligibility and some of the ones that came back this year, didn't have to. Nolan Smith could've been drafted. That should scare the hell out of every team in the SEC, right now.

It doesn't matter what FLA recruits...they don't have UGA's Coaching and development staff or their facilities. Good luck to em. They're gonna be running around, behind the Bulldogs with pooper-scooper, for years to come. LOL

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok I'll put the snark aside and simply state that you completely missed the point.

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Strange thing, I don't remember writing this. Not my writing style and I try to stay away from "snark" ???