Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: Georgia QB Stetson Bennett asking more questions about offense, better prepared

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: Georgia QB Stetson Bennett asking more questions about offense, better prepared

ATHENS — Kirby Smart says this is the best quarterback room he’s ever had at Georgia, and Stetson Bennett’s improved football study habits are likely part of the reason why the head coach feels that way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, I still do not believe that SBIV is the best QB, has the highest ceiling/most potential to be an elite player, or even offers the most in the way of making plays. But, I will concede (with great difficulty) that he is the logical and even obvious starter (for at least the first few games). SBIV is a known quantity at this point . . . and, reliability is something that the schemers can scheme around. Got it.

I think what is bothering me about him now is that he seems to have figured out where the weight room is. While, of course, achieving a higher level of fitness is laudable, why did it take him 6 years of college to find it? Obviously, single-rep max for preacher curl probably has little-to-no real value for a QB. What else is this delayed or retarded dedication to excellence/improvement/development/etc. indicate? Why, for example, is the 6th year starter just now asking the deeper questions about the playbook?

Just saying that, in my line of work, you don't go to war with fella leading the charge. I know that this is a game . . . but, the principles of leadership and recognizable characteristics translate quite well.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2022

I am not overly concerned with Kirby Smart's decision to continue with SB IV as QB. I am more concerned with Smart's longstanding philosophy of not giving backups more minutes. This has gone on since CKS took the job. In 2016 there were no options or chances to do so. But why not give Eason playing time in 2017? Fields in 2018? There was no real backup in 2019. 2020 was ... a mess, but it is still frustrating that the only playing time that D'Wan Mathis got was being put into an impossible situation against Florida. And 2021 Beck and Vandagriff combined for 11 passes.

There are no excuses for this to continue. We know that SB IV is unconditionally leaving at the end of this season, and that his draft status isn't going to meaningfully change from being taken by the Falcons in the 6th round even if the plays every single snap. Sure maybe play SB IV the entire game Oregon game (though if it is indeed a blowout as I expect getting Beck in the game to throw some deep passes would send a message to QB and WR recruits watching on national TV) afterwards there is nothing but a bunch of unranked teams - including cupcakes Kent State and Samford (UGA really does need to replace those with Georgia Southern, Georgia State and Kennesaw State more often to keep that money in state, and the same with Georgia Tech) - until the 4 game stretch of Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Kentucky starting October 29. Maybe it will be possible to convince yourself that the trip to Columbia the 3rd week in the season will be a "high alert status" game but everything else should be over by halftime. So there will be no reason for Beck not to be in the game in the 3rd quarter throwing the ball downfield to Gilbert, Smith and company. If he throws a pick, yank him, put SB IV back in and rely on a defense that will produce at least 6 draft picks the next 2 years. Otherwise Beck will be entering his 4th season in Athens and we won't have any idea whether the second most physically gifted QB Smart has ever reeled in (only Fields was better in the arm strength/mobility/build/athleticism combo) can actually play or not and that makes absolutely no sense.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hilarious, but not in a good way. The anointed one is only now, in his 6th year of college football, becoming more curious about the offense and more detailed in his preparation? Remarkable statement by KS, but not surprising considering his perplexing lack of understanding and frequently curious handling of the QB position. Thank goodness for Todd Monken.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thank you! Made my day... I literally LOLed in the airport lounge 🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Despite what transpires this season.....I think a SEC & Natty championship and a Heisman nomination???? this is all predicated on the fact that I see more talent/potential talent this year than last year...SB IV most likely never breaks into the NFL.....I'd hire him as a QB coach.....nobody knows Monken/playbook better!

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Okay - to the guy that just accidentally searched for logical fallacies (not a strawman argument, perhaps a false premise . . . at least the other guy made good use of a line from STRIPES) instead of phallus, you must be related to SBIV. And, I understand that. I will stand up for family no matter what.

Do you remember a couple years ago when, after the GT game, Mecole Hardman (I think) asked a player on the other team if they even worked out? SBIV has always been the only player in silver britches that deserves the same raised eyebrow. Until, of course, this summer. You can toss around the tired "I trust Kirby" line all you please, but it's been clear that even he has had questions about the young man (who should be a few years into working for the family business by now).

Lastly, if you prefer the mindless mantra of "shut up and dribble," you may find Sportscenter more to your liking. Maybe next time you'll accidentally type "Socrates" into the search bar.

Have a pleasant weekend.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

If ever Kirby mishandled the QB room it was 2018. Did you watch any of the games? Fromm would have the offense clicking then Kirby would send in Fields for his entire series of entitlement snaps which usually resulted in one-look-tuck-and-run plays and a three and out except when he would occasionally make a play in a game against a cupcake defense.

I am glad Kirby learned his lesson and now makes his QBs actually earn their playing time like every other position group.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2022

@dogs_n_braves Yea, I dunno which is the right description; but I like to think if I had used Google I could have gotten it right. My point was that it seems like those who oppose Stetson continue to reach further, and FURTHER for reasons to oppose him. That’s all.

I dunno about Socrates; but yea… you do your thing this weekend too. CFB is back.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

So, just curious, how many NCs has YOUR favorite team won?

That IS the ultimate goal, is it not…!?

just sayin’…..…..