Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Jake Fromm provides insight into Georgia quarterbacks, Bulldogs’ offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Jake Fromm provides insight into Georgia quarterbacks, Bulldogs’ offense

ATHENS — Jake Fromm knows what winning football looks like, and he likes the Bulldogs’ quarterbacks and offensive coordinator Todd Monken.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2022

I can’t wait for all the articles this year and next year of how good JT Daniels is playing for WV or is that just for Fields?

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Good to hear from Jake Fromm. I wonder if he will eventually be a grad student on Kirby's staff.....Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Daniels gets charged with an interception and pick six on a perfectly thrown pass to a wide open receiver. Guy is cursed.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake already sounds like a coach and a future offensive coordinator.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well he did play like one 2017-2019. Unfortunately the guys that he was playing against in games that mattered i.e. Tua, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow were future NFL starters, and UGA didn't have the overwhelming 15 draft picks talent back then to win a title with that type of QB. Even Baker Mayfield took Fromm into OT, a game that UGA only won because they had Nick Chubb AND Sony Michel.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t recall Mayfield playing even one down against Fromm! I also don’t recall Fromm blowing coverage against Tua which kept Fromm from being a national championship winning QB.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JT almost pulled off the upset of Pitt last night. His receiver turned the ball over twice, one led to a pick six, popped right out of his hands and the other was a fumble around the 20-30 yard line that led to an eventual TD for Pitt. A 4th and 16 (I beleve) last ditch pass to the 1 yard line needed another 6 inches of air and they would have pulled it off, the receiver had it for a moment and bobbled it when hitting the ground. Oh, and from what I read the WV coach had a 4th and inches at the Pitt side of the 50 and instead of going for it with 6 minutes left in the game with a lead he punted, a call that left everyone scratching their heads.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Much Love from this Dawgs Fan to Jake Fromm !! He did a Great job at UGA. Decided he wanted to live his dream of going to the NFL instead of coming back. I don’t knock him even a micro smidgen. He did what he thought was best at the time. It didn’t pan out. But Jake is No Quitter, he Will take his life down a different path. I Hope he does pursue a Coaching career. I think with time and experience he’d probably become a very good one. I also appreciate his take on our QB room especially on Stets. Each to his own but in My eyes Jake Fromm is now and will always be a DGD !! I wish him the Very Best Life has to offer !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    edited September 2022

No, what kept Fromm from being a national championship QB was going 16-32 for 231 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs and as a result led an offense that was shut out in the 1st and 4th quarters and only scored once in the entire second half of regulation. It is hilarious that your type wants the QB to get all the credit but none of the blame. "The rest of the team didn't play well enough for my boy to be a champion!" is nonsense. That defense was dog tired from Fromm leading nothing but 3-and-outs and 6-and-outs all game. Didn't put points on the board or even keep Bama off the field and didn't even mount a single scoring drive from halfway through the third quarter on that would have sealed the deal despite a million chances to. Meanwhile Tua throws 3 TDs in a single half. If he plays the whole game it is a blowout and no one whines about the 4th and 26.

• Options

Wow Oh Yeah I fully agree !! JT’s receivers let him down pretty bad !! And his O Line was Very inconsistent, they allowed him to take several wicked hits !! On purely His Part alone I thought he did pretty dawg gone good !! The one thing negative that stood out is his lack of mobility. But if his O Line was more consistent in protecting him and giving him time to look down field that wouldn’t be Nearly as much of an issue. I tell you that game really high lighted the differences between a mobile QB and a more true pocket type QB. It showed me better Why you need a O Line built and able to match up to which ever type QB you have. Now To Me here’s the Great News and I honestly Believe this to be true, we’ll see as time goes on. But I Believe UGA is Blessed with an O Line ( Players) and Coaches they can play Equally good whether they have a more mobile type QB like Stets or a more pocket type QB say perhaps Beck under center. And before someone pounces me, Lol, No I’m Not saying Beck has no mobility I’m saying compared to Stets he’s more of a pure pocket type QB. And in closing I see Much positive benefits in having Both types of QBs on the roster as long as you have a flexible O Line that can rapidly change to accommodate which ever QB is in the game at a given time. Coach Monken truly has a Loaded Offense to attack rivals with !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    edited September 2022

Mac Jones proved just 2 years ago that you can very much win with a pocket passer. Also Clemson won a title with Trevor Lawrence, and while they did do a lot of RPOs and draw plays with Lawrence I seriously doubt that Beck is any less mobile. Add to that the 2013 title with Jameis Winston and FSU, the 2014 title with Cardale Jones, the 2015 title with Jacob Coker and this "you need a mobile QB" is overhyped. Maybe the game - regrettably - can no longer use true pocket passers who can't run at all like Phil Simms, Dan Marino and Dan Fouts but no one that Kirby Smart has ever recruited beyond keeping Jacob Eason from following Mark Richt to Miami fits that description. If Beck was mobile enough to be highly coveted by Dan Mullen to play in the same offense that Alex Smith, Tim Tebow and Dak Prescott did then he is mobile enough to play at UGA and for the SEC. If "mobility" is being used as a reason to choose Vandagriff over Beck my guess is that the real reason is that Beck makes too many mistakes while trying to make plays downfield and Smart wants someone that will prioritize protecting the football and letting the RBs and defense be the ones who actually wins games.

As for JT Daniels, I wouldn't say that the OL was inconsistent ... just that they aren't particularly talented. Pitt has recruited better players for their front seven than WVU has for their OL. Now WVU's WRs were better than Pitt's DBs in theory, but when it was time for them to make tough - or even routine - plays they ran bad routes and dropped passes, including that disastrous pick six. I knew that WVU had these issues on their roster. Which is why I still don't understand why he chose WVU over Notre Dame. Notre Dame has a great OL, good defense, good RBs and WRs ... all they needed was a QB. Yet Daniels chose a program that will have to fight to go 7-5 this year and (should he play a 6th season) next.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with you @ShoottheHooch about Fromm. I don't care what anyone says, in that National Championship Game he had led us to a 13-0 LEAD at the half and still had us in THE LEAD late. Then we had THE LEAD in OT. If the defense does its job, any of those times, Jake and that team are National Champions. Jake didn't have to be spectacular in that game, just steady. And he was. If certain defensive backs make the plays they were SUPPOSED to make, we're not even having a Jake Fromm discussion. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Team loss and team win. That said, Jake had no magic in the 2nd half. Defense almost had Tua tackled for losses a couple of times and he managed to escape and make a big play. Kirby IMO tried at 1st to run the clock too early and the offense lost it's aggressiveness and momentum shifted to the Tide Defense then our offense was zapped and eventually momentum shifted to their offense.

Don't forget they missed a chip shot FG in regulation. We were lucky to get into overtime or am I misremembering?

• Options
    edited September 2022

Yeah, and that attitude is why UGA wins a national title about once every 50 years. In reality, to win national titles both the offense and the defense has to do their job. But again, you are someone else who believes that it is the job of 21 players to actually win the game so that guys like Jake Fromm can soak up all the credit. That doesn't work when the other team has playmakers all over the field. You guys act as if UGA was beating up on Vanderbilt, Kentucky and South Carolina like it is UGA's "tradition" to. The truth is that you can't keep another great team with future NFL starters all over out of the end zone for an entire half, especially when you help them out by throwing 2 picks like Fromm did.

Let me say it again: you can't keep a team with future NFL starters at QB, WR and RB out of the end zone. Not even NFL defenses can do that. What makes you think that college defenses should even try? Alabama barely got out of their 2015 title game with Clemson alive 45-40 and even needed an onside kick because Saban admitted that they didn't want to let the ball get back into Watson's hands because they couldn't stop him. (Who was the defensive coordinator in that game? Kirby Smart). The next year what happened? Because Alabama's RB got injured and Jalen Hurts couldn't move the ball by himself, Alabama's defense got tired and gave up 3 TDs to Watson in the fourth quarter.

Thinking that it is the defense's job to cover for an ineffective QB who isn't carrying his weight is nonsense. Which is precisely why Saban benched Jalen Hurts against Georgia, played Tua for the second half and won a title. The next year Dabo Swinney did the same - benched his starting QB for Lawrence - and won the same. I am serious, do you guys watch any football other than UGA games? Because if you did, you would know that any championship caliber team can EASILY overcome a 13 point lead if the other team isn't putting points on the board (which Fromm wasn't) and is turning the ball over (which Fromm was). That is why they are actual championship teams instead of frauds like the 2007 team that didn't even win the SEC East yet UGA fans are still claiming got robbed of a title.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thadec, the fact of the matter is our defense didn't have to keep Alabama out of the end zone for an entire half; they just had to keep them out for ONE PLAY! But whatever. We are National Champions NOW. Debating prior woulda, coulda, shoulda's is pointless. Go Dawg!

• Options

I didn’t say Anywhere in my comments that you Can’t win and win big with a true pocket passer. What I Did say is that a team is Very Blessed when they have BOTH a very good pocket passer and a mobile passer on the roster. And I said that a team is Even More Blessed when their O Line can be just as consistent when Either type QB is in the game. I also Didn’t Say that Beck is not mobile at all, I Said he was more along the lines of that than Stetson is. That’s Not a knock on Beck it’s merely that he has a different style of playing his game. Also you must have watched a different game than the WVU vs. Pitt than I did because YES the WVU O Line missed several, several times thus causing JT to take some wicked hits. And YES they Were Very inconsistent Especially early in the game. BUT it was their very first game of the season, I get that, I won’t be utterly shocked if the Dawgs O Line is a bit shaky at first. Though Hopefully they won’t be. Lastly I am convinced you Sir are a UF Mud Lizard TROLL. Though I must commend you on how slick you are in going about it you Bash on the Dawgs at every opportunity, but you do it in a very clever and sneaky way so as to Appear to be a True Dawgs Fan. You even said on another post “ that you better be careful as you don’t want to be banned”. You just gush fountains of Love over the UF new Head Coach. And when comparisons are made about UGA vs our rivals you always pop up with “data” and “stats” to make the Dawgs look bad in comparison. Well News Flash for you, your cover is blown because myself and I’m convinced numerous other Real Dawgs Fans here have come to realize you are a Troll !! All one need do is go back and look at the vast majority of your posts. Oh occasionally you’ll throw out some tepid bragging on the Dawgs in a very condescending way to try to keep your cover intact. But it still Shows. Must really stink for you that the Dawgs are the Reigning National Champs and just might do it Again this year !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Amen !! And I’m convinced he’s a Troll !! More than apt a mud lizard Troll. I thought he was gonna drown in his own drool bragging on Billy Napier in a previous post !! But he always manages to knock on our Dawgs in a sly and sneaky sort of way. Yep the Current National Champs and just might be about to do it Again !! Go Dawgs !!