Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: ESPN anchor, Georgia fan Elle Duncan ‘incredibly nervous’ about Stetson Bennett

Comments

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Although i disagree, I can certainly see where this comes from. He may not be starting at a lot of schools, but he did at UGA and he led an offense that put up outstanding stats and won a NC. I believe if he stumbles too much, they will pull him. I don’t believe that Danny Wuerfful would’ve started at many SEC schools either, but he was a very solid college QB and was a leader and winner. They don’t have to win the stats contest; just lead and win and until proven wrong, Stet has done that.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do we need to block Mike?

Who cares what she and Paul think or have to say? Answer: Nobody but she and Paul and Mike.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Hey guys, please take the opportunity to compare QBs last season (Bryce Young vs Stetson Bennett). Please remember that UGA was minus 5 receivers most of the season while Bama had all hands on deck for most of the season and only lost receivers in the playoffs. Several things stood out to me: In MANY games Bama was battling to the final minutes while UGA and Bennett were annihilating ALL their opponents by halftime. ALL regular season games were decided shortly after halftime (many before halftime)….so there was no need to pass and run up meaningless stats. On the flip side, Bama with all their great receivers were in battles to literally the last second against LSU, aTm, Arkansas, Auburn, etc. Both UGA and Bama played Auburn at Auburn, but UGA and Bennett totally destroyed Auburn while Bryce Young struggled until the end of the 4th quarter when he finally put together a long drive and won in 4 OTs. Here’s an interesting stat that no one mentions: UGA and Bama played 4 common opponents (Ark, UT, Fla and Auburn). In those 4 games Bama won by a total of 39 points while the Bennett led Dawgs won by 112 points with the closest game decided by 24 points….and all games were basically over by the 3rd qtr or earlier. In the 2 games between Bama and UGA, Young had 4 TDs w/2 INTs while Bennett had 5 TDs w/2 INTs. Yes indeed Bennett had a questionable fumble in the 4th qtr that set-up a Bama TD, but don’t forget Bryce had a questionable fumble in the 1st qtr that UGA returned for a TD. UGA under Bennett’s leadership actually performed much better as a TEAM than Bama last season, but Young had the gaudy stats out of necessity and won the Heisman. Good grief I’m so sick and tired of folks bashing Bennett and not appreciating his accomplishments. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think she just went overboard to make sure people won't think she's biased. Just speak your heart, dear.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"if you caught me after certain games last year, I had my doubts."

Do you know why? Because that's been the narrative, led by Dawg Nation and AJC, since that kid took the field. And, despite winning a National Championship with not 1, but 2 MVP performances...that has been the "never-ending story" with some of these sportswriters. They just can't get over the fact, they misread the Bulldog QB situation from the get-go. They were wrrr...ong. Whew...almost couldn't say it. LOL

You won't see retractions...only justifications. LOL

Smart said in a Media Days interview that the QB situation wasn't as settled as it seemed, going into the 2021 season. JT Daniels was not a consensus pick to start against Clemson. Some of the other coaches thought Bennett gave them a better chance against "all of the opponents on their schedule". Not, JT. You won't hear that interview or report on Dawg Nation.

There isn't a QB playing, last year, that I didn't have questions about, after certain games...Including ; Bryce Young and Matt Corral. That's a pretty useless and subjective standard to judge a QB by. Sometimes, it's not the production, but, lack of errors that wins a game. A so-called "game manager", if you will. All QBs have to put on that hat, at some point. I went back and watched as Bennett extended drives or scored with his vision and legs, throughout the season. You could actually see him learn and improve...sometimes from one week to the next.

Bennett's performance in "The CFPs" were the result of him and Monkin putting it all together during the month of practice leading up to the Orange Bowl. The carry-over to this season should be nothing short of Amazing. But, hell...he's still nothing more than a walk-on underdog, right? Keep thinking that. LOL

You have to remove the "walk-on", "underdog" overlay that has been **** on you by the media, to appreciate the true talent Bennett has. I guarantee you, he wouldn't be QB'ing at UGA if he wasn't the most capable QB on the team. And, you're darned right, he could play for any team in the SEC, except...maybe FLA or BAMA.

• Options

BTW, below, is an excerpt of that interview by "DAWG POST".

"(Bennett) gives us the best chance to win the next game, and as long as he was the best one to win the next game, he was going to be the one out there,” Kirby said reflecting on staying with Bennett during the 2021 season. “There was thought among the staff that (Bennett) was the best guy at the beginning of the season. There were opinions that felt that way. It was not a consensus (that Daniels should start).”

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Another nice analysis by a "non-professsional"... fact-based and not making it personal. Much appreciated 😁👍

• Options

She might not be the brightest bulb UGA has ever educated...but, I gotta say, I like Elle Duncan. She's real. There's nothing fake about her. She's a Sweetheart and a Dawg Fan. My kinda people. I just don't happen to agree with her assessment, but, I do get the hesitant confidence. Any Dawg Fan that's been around a while, can understand her apprehension and guarded "Dawg-Pride". LOL

So many disappointments and "close calls" over the years. SMH. The 2021 Dawgs said, "No more". C'mon Elle, loosen up and climb on board the Smart-Kart. We're going to the 2022 Kirby-Derby. LOL

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what Ihave heard through the grapevine through a former UGA player who has connections is that SB has been the best QB in the fall camp by far! Not even close.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could understand to a degree if she had concerns about the lack of experience on defense or injuries to WRs or the punting game, or about the team as a whole, but not about SB. NC QB SB? LOL!

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2022

She probably doesn't date short guys, either. (btw: heisman trophy winner Bryce Young: 6'0, Stetson Bennett: 5'11).

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

Elle will eloquently and sincerely eat these words when Stetson proves her wrong. Let the games begin!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    CapeCawdDogCapeCawdDog Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited September 2022

Not bragging, but I could read at 4 - bet I'm not the only one here with that high honor! 😁 Apple not falling far from the tree might explain the rhetoric over logic approach; great description Henddawg!

So glad the games are coming! Talking heads will still keep talking but I have 100% confidence in how hard Kirby, coaches and players have been working and will continue to work. Gotta respect that amount of blood, sweet and tears. Can't wait to see what this season's team has in store for us! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t know what is so hard to understand about why Stetson is coming back. He loves to play football, simple as that. Plus he gets to be QB of one of the top college football teams in the country! It beats working for a living. Not only that, he can make big NIL money while he is still on the team. Once he quits, the money dries up and he has to go do something else that isn’t nearly as fun as playing football. Duh!