Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football winners and losers following Week 1 win over Oregon

SystemSystem Posts: 11,143 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following Week 1 win over Oregon

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Just a couple of years ago the negative recruiting centered around Kirby’s use of tight ends. “Why should an elite TE go to Georgia? All they do is block.” That myth is totally debunked. Kirby is well on his way to debunking the use of skill position players myth.

By the way, that was not a horse collar tackle. Smith had his hand over the shoulder pad. Also, the personal foul called for unnecessary roughness when the Dawg defender did what was necessary to make a one-on-one tackle was pure incompetence! Those All Cupcake Conference officials should be working powder puff football games.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Darnell is gonna be a problem the rest of the year, lol. He keeps making plays like that and he'll be called right behind Carter in the draft. Absolute beast of a man. McConkey is gonna be drafted easily. Could be an Edelman type receiver in the NFL. Amazing speed and separation. Glad to see Milton finally looking fully healthy. All of our guys played hard.

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our TE's catch and run as well as they block, I believe that's called elite. Absolutely that was not a horse collar tackle the replay proves that out, however they called it anyway w/o review. 😎

• khummelkhummel Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, the horse collar and unnecessary roughness calls were incredibly lame. Maybe the Zebras were just trying to keep the game from being a ridiculous blowout. Go Dawgs!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our WRs also take immense pride in blocking. On the first McConkey TD (video above), Adonai Mitchell completely mauled his defender with every bit of nasty as Brock Bowers did his. Go Dawgs!

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think a big winner from the game is Daijun Edwards. He looked stronger, more agile, and quicker than Milton . . . by a lot.

I also think that CKs is a winner - if only because he finally gave some clock to his QB bench. With SBIV returning, he has to give more time to the back-ups or they would transfer (of course). Not that I doubted that he would, it's just that he never has before. Good for him.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Ok I was holding back in the officiating complaints, but since we're doing this... yes, both of those calls were asinine. Also, on our last possession of the first half, McConkey was tackled by the facemask. Ref standing right there with an unobstructed view didn't call it. But they caught one of Truss' fingers briefly getting into a guy's facemask.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Another absolutely great Connor article... the embedded vids were particularly good, and I watched each one. A big part that doesn't get enough coverage from the majors is the amazing downfield blocking UGA does; fundamental to the lopsided score this past Saturday, and I'd guess the same going forward.

However, the biggest thing that struck me was what a class-act Dan Lanning is. Contrast his "our players are ready for an opportunity to grow... anxious to get back out on the practice field" with Saban's blaming his own players and nary a word about the culpability of himself or his staff. I will be rooting for Lanning and his team the rest of the season, for sure.

• DawgyStyleDawgyStyle Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Need to have a ...

"Winners to Losers" category ...

Players challenge to Smart and Muschamp ...

Get yo butts in the gym and lose your "equators"

Kirby adjusted his coverup smock just before the game began, and national audience saw that bubble hiding beneath it ...

Muschamp looked like a sweathog as he coached the sidelines ...

Sorry, Not Sorry for this post, keeping our elite coaches in check.

Equators are for retirees ...

Go Dawgs

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It absolutely was a horse collar tackle. When the whole audience gasps and watches to make sure that a kid doesn't shred both his knees from getting taken down by his shoulders from behind, that is going to be a personal foul. Also, even if it wasn't a horse collar the tackle took place when it was way out of bounds. So it was going to be 15 years either way.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

Yeah, you are rooting for Lanning because you know that you will always beat him. Lanning and his underaged, possibly unqualified staff didn't make a single adjustment all game long. A coaching staff actually trying to win would have at the very least benched Bo Nix after he threw that 50/50 ball to a 5'8" wide receiver on first down when they were approaching scoring position and were a couple more positive plays from at least a good shot at a field goal (third and 15 from your own 35 is another story as it is essentially a punt). That is why you "contrast him" with the negative example of a coach that has beaten UGA every time but once. Typical "fan" root for the losers that you can beat while rooting against the winners that actually have a shot at beating you. Let me guess: you were a big fan of the "heart" and "gumption" showed by Vanderbilt, Duke, Kentucky and Wake Forest back in the day when they used to go 1-11 and 3-9 every year weren't you? Respect like that from opposing fans is the sort that programs don't need.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 13,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great post! Especially loved the blast on Saban. His lack of coaching development of his skill players (by relying on Metchie and Williams all year) and his subsequent blaming of those young men was totally unacceptable …..but typical!

Ain’t it great to be a Georgia Bulldawg!?

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

Yikes… how’re those anger management classes going? Appreciate you demonstrating yet another contrast to the notion of “class act.” The notion of admiring someone for the content of their character seems to be foreign to you, but I perceive it to be a shared value for the majority of posters on this site. Not to worry, though, my first and last response to one of your posts on DN.

Enjoy the holiday, all!

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate