Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kibry Smart unsure of how of expanded playoff impacts Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,434 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageKibry Smart unsure of how of expanded playoff impacts Georgia football

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart didn't say whether expanding the playoff was a good or bad idea.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

It insures that if we stay top 12, we will get into playoffs…Kirby just playing dumb!

• Options
    CapeCodDawgCapeCodDawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

For the love of Dawg, please proofread before posting

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you end up having to play through as many as17 games...what are the chances of some pretty significant injuries? I believe that was what Ratledge was intimating. Smart as well. It may be a matter of player attrition who stays and who plays. You could have a substantially different looking team at playoff time. Football is a very physical sport...injuries can have a major impact on a team's outcome. That is the negative side. UGA has depth and would likely finish well inside that negative parameter. Others probably not so much. I agree, would have to wait and see.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

12 team playoff is about TV money. It will prolong the college season and unnecessarily put college players at risk of career ending injury. Any team ranked from 5 to 12 doesn't belong in post game playoff. They're not good enough to beat the top 4 teams. Did anyone see the Orange Bowl in Jan. 2022? The big 10 champs were run off the field.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still don’t understand how Division I players can’t sustain a 15 game season and playoffs while ALL other college divisions and NFL teams play more games than that. In fact, the NFL requires 20 games to win the Super Bowl. Do those guys play little guy football? Also, to win state in Georgia HS a team must play 15 games and that’s with only a 10 game regular season. I know Bama lost several great wide receivers at the end of the season, but heck, UGA lost 5 receivers at the beginning of the season. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok, one final time. Here’s my response to the team we BEAT for the national championship, our last 3 TDs were scored by a freshman WR, a freshman TE,(thrown to by a walk on QB) and a redshirt freshman DB. Time to bury that 6 feet deep and don’t mention their injuries again. It’s how you coach up what you have, not cry about what you didn’t have.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

It depends how they seat/seed teams. IT SEEMS that the top 4 CONFERENCE WINNERS will be seeded 1-4 and receive byes (talk about an unfair advantage!). That is bad for the SEC runner up.

IF the remaining team (5-12) are reranked 1-8 that means the SEC runner up will be rated #5 overall. Assuming (logic) the SEC winner is ranked #1 overall that means after #5 beats #4 the SEC runner up will face the #1 seed (the SEC winner) in Rd 3(!).

Barring an upset (9-12 win rd 1 and 2 or 6-8 rd 2) an all SEC final is unlikely.

They SHOULD re-rank all 12 teams prior to the playoff. HOWEVER making the 4 byes "conference winners" bars ND from getting a bye and will put pressure on ND to join a conference.

• Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman
    edited September 2022

Wouldn't we have made the playoff in 2018 and 19 as well?

Update: after rereading the article you mentioned we were #5 twice. I'm assuming that's 2018 and 19.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

More than likely, they will only play 10 games and get rid of conference championships

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FCS and Div-II have been playing in 12 and 16 team playoffs for years. You deal with injuries and such every year. That's why depth is so important for any team to make it through the gauntlet.

Conference Championships are not going away, because that decides who gets the Bye in the first round.