Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

5 takeaways from Kirby Smart: Georgia football key players and areas to monitor

SystemSystem Posts: 11,122 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
image5 takeaways from Kirby Smart: Georgia football key players and areas to monitor

ATHENS — Georgia football is in no danger of losing to Sanford on Saturday, and probably not until November, for that matter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• David1David1 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, are you going on the Finebaum show and argue that Kirby is the greatest right now?

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@David1 Each Thursday in season, not sure Finebaum wants to argue anything negative about Kirby right now ... lots of momentum in Athens

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's far too early to proclaim the Kirby Death Star as fully functional.

Things I do feel are elite, QB, Tight ends, O-line. With good Receivers and Running backs, that adds up to an elite offense.

Despite the Oregon game results, there has to be a drop-off on defense, and it will show up at some point.

How good will the run defense be? How much pressure will they be able to apply to the QB? I do think the secondary will be better. It's a long season and Kirby's working on improving those young pups on defense.

Will the Kirby Death Star be fully functional in time for the SECCG?

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh Yes !!! Very Well said on your part regarding Bowers !!! If he doesn’t hurt you one way he’ll hurt you another !! And when his departure time to go to the NFL we can be rest assured the scouts Will take note of that blocking ability !! That’s a significant part of what made Tony Gonzalez so great !! Course Tony G like Bowers had Receiver Like hands to that we Really know about. Barring any injuries ( Please None !!) and his continued efforts and improvements Bowers will be waaaay up there when his time Does come !!! Go Dawgs !!!

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You know, Tony G is a great comparison for Bowers. I used to think Gronk, but Gonzales and Bowers have a LOT in common. It'll be interesting to see Brock's size when he gets into his early/mid-20s...

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The “experts” and even some in Dawg Nation were not convinced the Dawgs D was all that great after the first game last year. Instead, they were questioning Clemson’s offense. Sound familiar?

Not saying the D will be “Death Star” good by the SECCG, but one thing we can take to the bank is that Kirby will ensure the D is better by a factor of 12 from where they were at the beginning of fall camp. From what I saw Saturday, a Dawg D that is 12 times better (12 games) than the one Oregon faced should scare the bejesus out of our SECCG opponent and all opponents in between!

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ShoottheHooch I don't recall anyone questioning last year's defense after Clemson. Clemson had the No. 2 Defense in the nation, everyone knew that would be a tough game even before it was learned that JT was playing injured and Kearis Jackson wouldn't be ready to play WR, leaving a green WR corps

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. That Clemson game last year, set the tone. UGA's defense probably broke Clemson (among other opponents) and destroyed Uiagalelei's confidence, resulting in 2 more losses shortly after. Clemson eventually recovered, but, they were beat up. That was a great, physical game.

As far as this year, UGA's defense will be dominant again. Only...different. They will attack the offense using a different position group. Namely, using the Safeties and Corners to stop the run and bring pressure off the edge. Nothing fancy...just effective. We saw C. Smith and Lassiter step up and make run stops...1 TFL.

In time, communication between front-7 personnel will improve. In the meantime, they will have to depend on a much improved secondary and being opportunistic. With the offense Monkin has created and the defense we saw last Saturday...UGA controls the game and the clock. I don't see anybody beating them during the season.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seriously? I don’t recall any proclamations of greatness after that first game in regards to the Dawg D. I do remember questions concerning Clemson’s quarterback play with not enough credit going to UGA’s defense.

Mehhh....there were, by some in the media. What I do remember, is every mental midget in the Sportsworld, overlooking the obvious talent Stetson Bennett was packing after 3 years chasing the moon. He finally caught it in 2020.

He would have been a good to great QB, no matter where he played...BUT...you couple his talent and lengthy path to the top, with Todd Monkin's UGA coaching window, and you have "lightning in a bottle". The timing was perfect for both, Coach and Player, to find each other and bring out each other's best. Monkin was always going to increase and redefine the roll of the TE and RB. To have the perfect QB to run that system, was...unexpected, IMO.

These guys are going to make history this year and it's going to be a honor and privilege to watch it go down.

Curious to know how the ESPN Brown-noser, known as David Pollack, feels about his comments last week, in light of recent events. LOL

Reece Davis's quote of the year,,,,,,"We, in the media need to reflect what we see. Not, try to legitimize and justify our predictions."....(or words to that affect)...in response to a question by Paul Finebaum, on his Week 2 AP Poll pick. Reece moved UGA to #1 in his picks.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Last year when Davis and Wyatt decided to return I knew we would have a stout defense. One of the best of all time? No, I wasn't thinking that, but I was thinking as good as anyone else's. I knew in my heart we had a NC team, and I promoted it on here. I just thought it would be JT leading the way.

The big thing I remember on here among the writers was that it didn't "have" to be 2021. We would have other opportunities. True, but my thing was we needed to take that opportunity and strike while the iron was hot. We did! Go Dawgs!

I'd like to make one request of my fellow Dawg Nation Members.

If you "Vote Down" a fellow Member's Post....have the "balls" and "intelligence" to support your position in a Post of your own, so that the rest of us might pan your position.

Or, maybe you don't really have a position. Okay...say that. But, be an adult, not a child hiding behind Dawg Nation's skirt, firing **** shots from the dark. That's cowardly and insincere. LOL...definitely unbecoming of a Dawg Fan.