Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart must decide on style points against FCS Samford, specifically, will there be any?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,496 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart must decide on style points against FCS Samford, specifically, will there be any?

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart has a decision to make when it comes to lighting up the scoreboard on Saturday against FCS Samford.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My take is that those Bulldogs will be trying their best to beat our Bulldawgs so, I say, take them to the woodshed!

They are getting paid to be there and Chris Hatcher should understand since he mentored both Coach Smart and Coach Muschamp.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA: Play 4 quarters....hard! Your team is playing their team not their coach. Both teams should give their all for 4 quarters, that is Georgia up to the standard football. Kirby said it...I am only repeating what he said.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

We shouldn't be playing these kind of games at all. Period. But since we are then let's get Beck, Vandagriff, and maybe even Stockton some ample playing time that involves passing the ball - not just handing it off in wet conditions. We need the 2nd and 3rd string players in there for all of the 2nd half if not part of the first. If we can't put away these Samford guys by halftime then something is seriously wrong.

As was mentioned by E_Roc in a previous article, we should be funding these FCS-type games but without actually playing a game in which all you do is have a team like Georgia risk injuries to its members. Sometimes, key injuries that simply didn't need to happen. This Saturday, we are going to play a game in a rainstorm, soaked turf, and the potential for torn ligaments, pulled muscles, and screwed up knees. It's simply an unnecessary risk when we have much bigger fish to fry. Use a pool of funds from all Power 5 schools to help out these FCS programs (who, by the way, have a much deeper playoff bracket than we do currently).

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is a perfect game to allow your starters a quarter and a half and then build depth, which game experience helps for if/when those unforseen injuries happen. your guys can learn from their mistakes and have already experienced playing in the big stadium with fans.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby will figure it out.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any time you play football there is a risk of injuries, that's the nature of the beast. Probably more folks get injured in practice than in games. Should they practice? Perhaps the real question is it worth it to play a game in which you know you will win? Let's face it, that's pretty much every game we play. Yeh, some will be more contested than others but we're in pretty high cotton these days. It doesn't matter if it's Charleston Southern, or jack State, or whoever....I mean we just beat the number 11 team by 46 points! Should we have not played them? I remember guys getting knee injuries from chest bumping. Should they stop that?

In the NFL they try to protect their starters in meaningless preseason, but even then, you have to get some practice in. All of our games mean something from here on out. The pollsters are watching! As one coach told his boys in a pep talk before the game, "Let's give em what they came to see!"

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’d feeling pretty confident in our guys, but a 52-point slug through what’s likely to be continuous heavy rain seems kind of unlikely. A lopsided win doesn’t sound crazy, but we may need to temper some expectations about how bright that scoreboard might get. I hope I’m wrong, not least because I’m going to be standing around IN that rain, and the last two times I did that were our ok ‘19 game against KY and that ‘20 game against a different set of bulldogs that was more frustrating than any game I remember ever attending, despite it being Daniels’ first start and the connections he was making with Burton…

• Options
    edited September 2022

@reddawg1....understand what you are saying, but if I was a PAYING alumni or whatever shelling out gobs of money for prime seats in the stadium then the last thing I would want - along with most all the fans in general - is a far inferior team come to town so we can play them and then write them a check. I don't want to pay money to see this. That's all this is. It's just so we can give them a handout. The biggest risk is actually losing the game and silly injuries. If we're going to get injured, let's do it against a 9th SEC team on the schedule. Let's do it against a non-Conference Power 5 or even Group of Five team.

This game is ridiculous. There's no way you can convince me otherwise. I'd rather have a BYE week and scrimmage amongst ourselves.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree with you in some ways, but am confused by the latter part of your post. If we were playing a tougher non-conference opponent, as opposed to something of a cupcake, wouldn’t we see even MORE injury potential? A game has to be played this Saturday, and I’d think that having some easier opponents before starting SEC play is a better and safer way to build up the Dawgs’ experience (and maybe even conditioning)…?

Truly seeking to understand… NOT trolling 😁

• Options
    edited September 2022

@Kudzu...it's not just injuries. I want a hard schedule - makes the team better. I'm a diehard fan, so I want better matchups. All fans want better prove-me games.

When do we start easy? We just played Oregon. We started with Clemson last season. Our 2nd game next season (after pitiful UT Martin) is Oklahoma. We don't start with easy games. Kirby doesn't want easy games. We need to prove ourselves. When we add that 9th SEC team plus a non-conference team like Oregon then we'll face the gauntlet from Day 1.

That's what we want. Get rid of the patsies. Write the patsies a check and play a competitive game against someone else. If I get injured playing Oregon then that's the price for admission. If I get seriously injured playing Samford....what? Was it worth it? Did that need to happen? Why are we even playing that game?

Folks have been discussing how easy our SEC schedule is right now anyway. Sure, KY, TN, or FL may end up being better than advertised, but in general, we do not have a hard schedule...at all compared to other SEC teams. You want to make the playoffs then who you play and how you play them can make the difference since SOS is a factor in a close decision of who makes it and who doesn't. Playing Samford and Kent State ain't helping us at all.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

@MikeGriffith

For the SEC, style points do not matter. It has been proven throughout the years with both Alabama and Georgia.

An undefeated SEC team will make the playoff as the first seed.

A one loss SEC team who wins the SEC title will make the playoff as the highest seed among the 1 loss teams.

A two loss SEC team has no shot. Period.

A lot of UGA fans are convinced that "style points" would have gotten them into the 2018 playoff. That is utterly false. No 2 loss team is going to get in over a 1 loss team no matter how good they believe themselves to be.

The converse is true. No 1 loss SEC team is going to be left out no matter how bad they look. The only exception is if there are somehow 4 undefeated teams. Well, that would mean undefeated Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC teams all in the same year. That is the only scenario where a 1 loss SEC team does not make the playoff. (No nonsense about if there are more than 2 SEC teams with a loss or fewer.)

Finally, you don't get style points against FCS teams anyway. You get dinged for not blowing them out badly enough. But whether you beat them by 28 points or 70, it doesn't matter. You only get style points for beating P5 and better G5 teams.

That being said, there are reasons for putting Beck, Vandagriff etc. in and letting them go at it: recruiting. Showing what the offense looks like after SB IV might land you some 4 star WRs and RBs this year and next. But even there, it would be far more useful to do that against Vandy, Missouri and Georgia Tech than Samford.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Style points "? You can't be serious. Just put the game away before halftime and play the backups. We don't need potential injuries to any player while trying to get Heisman recognition.

• Options
    Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

They're #2 in the country. They don't need style points. Do your game plan; try and play as many players as you can, and avoid injuries. End of story

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

This may be the best article from MG.....ever. The recruiting "angle" is on the mark and will tell us all about whether CKS is feeling the heat from elite offensive recruits on the recruiting trail.

It will be extremely difficult for UGA to cover a 52 pt spread. CKS is not one to run the score up on anyone especially this opponent. It also makes sense to liberally substitute in this game to minimize injury risk. This is a game that could be won by 3rd teamers. The flip side of getting guys game reps is managing who you will redshirt this year.

No one mentions the danger these overmatched teams and their players are exposed to. Basically these overmatched players are tackling dummies for the more skilled and much bigger elite teams. That puts those players at a higher risk for injury. All so that their schools can pocket a million dollars. Pitting elite vs overmatched teams for money (or an easy win) is possibly the single worst thing there is about college football. Hopefully conference expansion will eliminate these cupcake games. No one wants to see 55-0 games.

Style pts definitely matter to the people who vote on rankings. That has been made obvious in CFB over the last few seasons.

• Options
    Cali_DawgCali_Dawg Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

The best thing to do is get 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th string teams playing time about a quarter each. Let the future recruits see how Georgia develops all levels and showcase its depth. I want to see every qb play and excell along with every offense skill position. The defense force 2 turn overs and no mistakes on special teams block one punt and or fg attempt. The Dawgs eat! Little brother going run home with its tail between its legs so long as rain stays away for the game.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

“…this new-and-improved version of Bennett…” Hmmmm. Just two weeks ago MG insinuated that SBIV was the starter only because there was no other choice even though he was a Natty winner with a QBR just slightly below Young and Stroud. No, not new and improved, but finally getting the media credit he deserves which would have come a long time ago if MG and others had focused on results and not fostered a negative view based on Stetson not fitting someone’s biased view of what “credentials” a QB should have and “look” like!!!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Having "Elite Receivers " is so overrated. Tell me what receiver is clearly head and shoulders better than AD Mitchell. What slot receiver is clearly better than Ladd McConkey? Many have more catches but what about route running and good hands? More than likely, our offense is going to set records this season without one top 100 receiver and more than likely we'll be right back in the playoffs.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Let's give em what they came to see!” Wow……Nuff said!!

Look out “talking heads”, here comes the Georgia Bulldawgs!

Go Dawgs!