Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football stock report: The Giant Mismatch is soaring, teams have no answer

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: The Giant Mismatch is soaring, teams have no answer

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart might now be the third-highest-paid coach in college football, but his team is ranked No. 1.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I thought our OL would run block a little better than they have so far. Our longest run of the year from a RB is what 16 yards? HUh? I like KMac catching balls out of the backfield, I think Kendall M is a load to tackle, and hopefully the more touches he gets he gets better, but either a lack of OL run blocking or a combination of just OKism along the O-line and in the backfield means SB is going to set all kinds of passing records for UGA to be able to move the ball and score.

We've run just OK against 2 teams we have beaten handily by a combined score of 82-3. Under 275 yards riushing in those 2 games combined. Not proportionate to the score.

• Options
    Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

The O-line looked like it sleep walked through the Samford game, and slept still in the red zone. I was a bit embarrassed for them.

Arik Gilbert going to get touches again this year? Can't imagine someone flagged as a 1st round talent sticking around if he'll ride the bench.

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

GA-Florida needs to be home and home. Ditch Jacksonville.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

UGA running game really struggling. Really struggling. I only mention it because MG has "stock up" for KM squared. KMc has 33 yards rushing in 2 games. He'll need to average 80(?) y/g to reach MG's predicted 1000 yd season. And 70(?) y/g to surpass bell cow ZWhite's yardage total from last season. Not likely w/UGA demonstrating a desire to throw more this season (and current OL play). KMil's impressive 19 yd run comment by MG made me recall fondly that 75 yard breakaway run ZWhite had against FU in '20. Amazing how underappreciated ZWhite is/was.

Since MG pegged SBIV as "stock soaring" amid "real" Heisman consideration I thought I'd add a comparison from saturday. For those that wondered how JTD did. He had a really solid day. Played against a higher competition level than UGA did. Behind an OL that is not even close to the UGA OL. With weapons that pale in comparison to UGA's weapons.

JTD    28/40  70.0%  359  9.0  3  1  0  0  165.1

SBIV   24/34  70.6%  300  7.8  1  0  1  17  154.4

Unfortunately JT's D gave up 55 pts and WVU lost in OT. Interesting that the immobile statue was not sacked with 40 pass attempts.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not trying to knock on Bennett, but the short hop throws Saturday need to be cleaned up. That's not a teachable thing in practice really, that's more of an effort kind of thing. Seemed the whole offense was just going thru the motions on Saturday.

If the FL game stays in Jacksonville, needs to be a 3 game rotation. Home-home-jax. That way a little bit of the tradition stays intact. Or make it Jax-Atl rotational? That way it would be still neutral, but not as advantageous to Florida every year.

• Options
    FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

"Arik Gilbert going to get touches again this year? Can't imagine someone flagged as a 1st round talent sticking around if he'll ride the bench."

I'm not wasting any of my concerns on Arik Gilbert. I wish he could be everything that he has the ability to be, but this guy has some issues. Kirby has done everything he could to accommodate him, and he still hasn't earned playing time and the respect of the coaches.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't know that Bennett's stock is "soaring". I'd give it "even" as a lot of throws were badly missed (end zone passes) and that sack was awful. 300 yards is a nice number and I'm not taking anything away from him but that was not the type game I consider as one of your best.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree but also, if you are in the Heisman conversation you are still soaring, despite the last game.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gainesville and Athens, home and home, or Jacksonville and Atlanta, neutral and neutral. Either option is cool, with me. But spotting Florida a yearly home game is BS.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Gilbert can't manage to stay on the field, in College....what makes you think an NFL Team is going to gamble on him? He can always try out for a team.

It appears he has a ways to go, mentally. He'll get it together, but, it probably won't be anytime soon. Give him time and space, to figure it out and find his place in this offense.

That's the scary part of this team. Most of these guy's, particularly on defense, are still finding their niche. By the time they play FLA, they should be clicking on all cylinders.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's made penalties in both games with limited play. He needs to get it together.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, uh, I don't think ANYONE on Georgia's team was "soaring" after that weak win with 5 out of 13 on 3rd downs and FGs needed when deep in the red zone.

If Bennett's stock "soared" with a 24 out of 35 with only 1 TD for a QB rating of 63 then something is wrong there. Not to mention he wound up with a REALLY BAD sack (really bad!) and wound up with -13 yards rushing.Washington did a great job blocking, but just 2 touches. Gilbert made yet ANOTHER penalty in limited time (the rest of the team just made 3) and I'm sure his Fantasy Football (if they do it for NCAA) is tanking as odds of NFL draft is dwindling. Beck did "okay" with 5/7 but had -2 yards rushing and a fumble.

Overall, it was a game everyone would rather forget. Hopefully this fires up the team to get it back together.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My only concern with this team is the O line. On the running plays, it was the RB on their own for too many of those plays and there were quite a few O lineman either moving backwards or standing straight up with no surge. Not sure what the deal is but they should’ve been 5-7 yards downfield on those straight runs and the RBs shouldn’t be touched for those yards. Too many running plays had the RBs getting hit at the line of scrimmage. Bennett doing a great job but not sure i would label it “soaring”, but that is just being picky. Looking forward to taking care of some yard birds. Go DAWGS.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...I didn't realize UGA had so many "statisticians" in their fanbase. I just wish they knew how to use the stats in their evaluations. I'll call em the "Georgia Cherry Pickers".

Just to put a stamp of realism on all these stats being thrown around, to validate earlier projections and predictions, below are the only statistics that really matter for Bennett and Daniels.

Bennett...W/L 2-0......yds/comp = 10.1......TDs Resp = 5......INT = 0...SACKS = 1......Comp % = 74.2......QBR =174.3

Daniels....W/L 0-2......yds/comp = 7.4......TDs Resp = 5......INT = 3......SACKS = 3......Comp % = 63.8......QBR = 139.1

Oh yeah...how many points did Oregon hang on the board last week? 70 points? And, UGA held em to 3? Some of you guys are getting your panties in a twist over nothing.

I saw a quote today, from one of the many experts airing opinions. He said that Oregon didn't run into a "buzz saw" when they played UGA, cause "UGA is what makes buzz saws weep". LOL. That's exactly what I see. They would have to have 5 or 6 turnovers, for a team to keep it close.

UGA isn't just playing against the team on the other side of the field. They are playing to achieve perfection against their standard and that's a great place to be, as a team.

They have the best perimeter and down-field blocking, I think I've ever seen. The interior guys haven't been playing together long. They will learn to communicate with each other, to make sure everybody gets a hat on a hat...and it's the right hat. That takes time. The Dawgs have a good veteran:youth mix, so it shouldn't take more than 5 games, for everybody to get up to speed. I'm not worried about ANY of those guys losing their one-on-one battles...that's not even an issue.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JT did have a costly pick 6 in overtime.

• Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 80 ✭✭ Sophomore

Ga. vs. Fl. game should be home and home. I believe that's fair!