Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How about all these missed/wrong/bad calls all over sports lately???

joe_n_stefjoe_n_stef Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

I realize that people are exactly that, just people. We all make mistakes here and there. But ever since the NCG, I have noticed quite a few wrong calls that could been game-changers in a way. I was an all around athlete in high school and a little in college and if you have had the privilege to have been in any sport that you love and you are on the brink of winning, so much is going on in your head. All the adrenaline pumping. All the emotions soaring. And when a call is blatantly missed, or a player punches another player and doesn't get ejected, it can change your mind frame fast. We are human and it is in our DNA to want to be treated fairly. Any reasoning as to why they don't implement a referee to watch the plays on film to make sure bad calls or missed calls are corrected? Just something I've been debating with.

Comments

• joe_n_stefjoe_n_stef Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

Funny video about some primal feelings on fairness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiU6TxysCg

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@joe_n_stef said:
    I realize that people are exactly that, just people. We all make mistakes here and there. But ever since the NCG, I have noticed quite a few wrong calls that could been game-changers in a way. I was an all around athlete in high school and a little in college and if you have had the privilege to have been in any sport that you love and you are on the brink of winning, so much is going on in your head. All the adrenaline pumping. All the emotions soaring. And when a call is blatantly missed, or a player punches another player and doesn't get ejected, it can change your mind frame fast. We are human and it is in our DNA to want to be treated fairly. Any reasoning as to why they don't implement a referee to watch the plays on film to make sure bad calls or missed calls are corrected? Just something I've been debating with.

First of all the game takes way too long with reviewed plays as it is, so I don't see them ever implementing another official who just watches missed calls. Can you imagine him phoning down every time there's a holding call or a block in the back that officials missed. Games would last 6 hours. I've toyed with the idea of taking the human element out of officiating altogether. Have lasers and 3D computer markers that would pick up on things and call it, no questions asked. But that involves a lot of parameters and would cost a fortune to implement. I'm still miffed about the NCG but the bottom line, and I guarantee this is how CKS would spin it, is that we were up by 2 scores and we didn't finish. Period. Own it, and get better, because human officials and their mistakes aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

• joe_n_stefjoe_n_stef Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe they should let coaches have challenges like the NFL. But they should be able to challenge a refs calls as well.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A football game shouldn't be decided by a part-time referee when these athletes give everything that they have in order to win. Football is a multi-billion dollar industry, they should be able to get calls right.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe some younger refs with better eyes or ex players. Something needs to be done.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Grading standards for each game called. The Refs with the highest grade out at the end of the season are pooled to get a chance to call the playoffs and NC game. Conferences are thrown out in the deciding factor, so you eventually get a multi conference crew calling the playoffs and NC game. Or is this how it already works?

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My cousin is former SEC and NFL umpire Butch Hannah. I need to get his perspective on the subject.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BoroDawg said:
    A football game shouldn't be decided by a part-time referee when these athletes give everything that they have in order to win. Football is a multi-billion dollar industry, they should be able to get calls right.

You stated the problem part-time referees'. The only way it will improve is if they are refereeing as a full time job and that cost money.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@oldon42 said:

@BoroDawg said:

You stated the problem part-time referees'. The only way it will improve is if they are refereeing as a full time job and that cost money.

Exactly. The NFL won't justify making their refs full-time, what in the world makes us think the SEC/B10/ACC etc are going to? That said, the average SEC official makes about 3K a game. With the money pouring into the conference, pay officials 5K, that makes 60K a year (give bonuses to officials who meet the highest standards to officiate bowl-tie ins and SECC) and send them to camps and development seminars like other businesses do to justify full-time status and benefits. Yes it would cost around 1.5-2 mil a year but how much is quality officiating worth? That amount seems like a drop in the bucket to get quality officiating.

"Money isn't the correction of stupidity"

ghostofuga1 2018 :p

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:

If refereeing is a well paying job then it will drive competition and hopefully better called games.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@joe_n_stef said:
    Funny video about some primal feelings on fairness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiU6TxysCg

They are so funny and....human like.

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

If refereeing is a well paying job then it will drive competition and hopefully better called games.

Only if it based on a performance based incentive. Small base pay + grading scale for incentives yes. Straight salary would be a nightmare and turn the whole game over to the officials. It's already bad. Let's not wish for worse.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I used to umpire little league baseball for $8 a game. If I didn’t like the coach, or the kids, I expanded the strike zone.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I used to umpire little league baseball for $8 a game. If I didn’t like the coach, or the kids, I expanded the strike zone.

Tsk, tsk.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was 15.........

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only “reviewable” play I would like to see added is off sides or encroachment on defense – ONLY if it’s a big play result – touchdown play, 3rd and long conversion, BLOCKED PUNT. I know that might be difficult, but I think worth it. All that would have to be done is cutting one commercial break out – that would balance it to the same “game length.” Just have the sponsors pay an extra $X for their commercial runs – they would gladly do that. Just too many games with bad calls in that area that could have arguably made a difference in the outcome.

• bubbadawgbubbadawg Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Raiderbeater said:
    There just needs to be higher standards and even a disciplinary review for a game. Call a cleaner game and get a “bonus” ie premium pay. Call a crap game get a bad grade and get minimum wage and a $5.00 coupon to Dairy Queen.

This...

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They need to go to the NFL model. 2 red flags to review plays per coach, get the first two right you get a third. Reviews inside of 2 mins come from booth. This doesn’t necessarily solve a ton of bad calls, but for the love of god it keeps the flow of the game going. Way too many game stoppages to review everything in college ball these days.