Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 things: How Kirby Smart critiqued 48-7 Georgia win over South Carolina

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
image3 things: How Kirby Smart critiqued 48-7 Georgia win over South Carolina

COLUMBIA — Kirby Smart was ready to see his No. 1-ranked Georgia football team get tested on the road at South Carolina.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart's bar is high. That is indisputable. He has praised Stetson many times but he is also critical of his "bonehead" mistakes. Lobbing a screen and that lunge at the line. These are critical if the score is close and the opposition is much better than it was yesterday. He could afford those mistakes against the gamelesscocks.....and that was evident. Yet, Smart does praise Bennett and did for his pure grit being sick and that darting run into the House.....lolol...did you see the defender almost stumble on his face when Stetson suddenly re-directed his scamper route into the end zone? Hilarious.

• Options
    TransplantedDawgTransplantedDawg Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m going to agree with Henddawg-our running game is looking a little ragged. DeJuan looks strong but the offensive line isn’t getting into next level blocks much IMO

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ditto on folks below agreeing our OL road graders aren't exactly mauling at this point, as expected. Also like how Kirby is calling out players like Norton, Alexander, and Miller, saying they have gobs of talent but have to "grow up faster"... if they want to play bad enough, on the best team in the country, no less, there's actually a place for them... and we need them all, sooner rather than later. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

I like what Kirby is doing here. Dude is building a dynastic program. I don't post much but I have to give props. He's doing things that not only benefit us now, but down the road. Making them earn game time is genius. Richt let too many play based on talent alone. Good for a season, bad for program building. Notice how little concern we have over programs with less talent? Used to be they'd bite us now and then, but Kirby has set a high bar that only elite teams can approach. Lesser teams get trampled under.

Anybody notice the tweets about transfer players with no stats? They (and prospects) are learning an important lesson: Trust the process! Some people are concerned when players go to other programs so they can start early, but if the guy in front of you can't hold off a true freshman, how good is he and that program? And how much will you improve through your career? You can get some good players, but overall your program will suffer. I think players serious about the NFL will continue to come here. Good luck to the rest. We don't need any NIL-greedy players anyway. That will all settle out quickly and won't be as much of an issue as everyone makes it.

The competition for game time will keep players from being complacent. UGA is distancing itself from other programs and it is showing. Alabama is the only program that I can see sustaining the excellence (of course). However, we do have one big advantage: Kirby Smart. Smart is well liked by coaches, and his manner of treating them compared to Saban is why you see well-respected coaches coming here. Of course they will eventually leave, but Kirby always has another coach in his back pocket and his demeanor is what keeps them wanting to come here. He reminds me of Belichek (and Saban) with the way he can redo his staff and still keep the high standards. I think Kirby is a little better.

My greatest fear is burnout from Kirby. He operates at a very high level and I fear a Bob Stoops type burnout. I wonder though if he Muschamp and Bobo have some kind of pact where they take turns running the program for a few years each just so they can each get some rest. Lol, they could easily coach another 20 years without burning out like that. Heh, why not?

Go Dawgs!!