Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia a monster favorite over Kent State, Carson Beck among backups who are a good bet to play

SystemSystem Posts: 10,521 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia a monster favorite over Kent State, Carson Beck among backups who are a good bet to play

ATHENS — Georgia is a monster favorite over Mid-American Conference foe Kent State on Saturday, but the real intrigue will be the game within the game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I won’t be surprised if our Dawgs play some what sloppy again. And I won’t be disappointed either as long as they score BIG over Kent St. I would much prefer if they held Kent St. to a FG at most, a doughnut would be even better. As far as sloppy play goes, like many other Dawgs fans, No it doesn’t give me any pleasure. BUT let our players go out and have some Pure Fun as the going Will get tougher later on. And let the Coaches tinker around with some more or less experimental plays if they want to. Above All get as many backups in the game as possible so if nothing else they can have a “Real” game experience that’s not G Day. For guys that have Never played in a real game every snap is a little helpful. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh I hope that we see more of BVG later in the game ( but not To late) and even some of Gunner. Just make sure Beck gets plenty of snaps. He’s looking Very Good by the way at least so far. Run the score up as quickly as possible and get Stets out of there !! This game won’t help improve his skills much ( maybe his stats 😀) !! Let Beck go with the Ones for a while then gradually start pulling guys out and See if Beck can keep continuity with backups starting to filter in. This would be good in the event of God Forbid injuries down the road. Course to be honest I kinda like to see some of BVG with All the Ones to !! Glad I’m not the HC to have to make these decisions Lol !!

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds like the situation with Gilbert may be a rerun of last season. Hope not, but….

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken will have a game plan: strike early and often then open the gates for the rotation of non-starters. No need to put up a basketball score...60 pts would be good. Need to see more of Beck and BVG. They are the future. I know Bennett needs Heisman stats. He can get them before being pulled. Lots of others need reps as well.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Gilbert sticks it out. He would be a real weapon; he just needs time to learn all of the offense.

I hope the starters don't lose focus because of the opponent.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Definitely, the paramount objective is to start quickly employing the offensive goal of taking the opposition out of the game by scoring enough to cover the spread via 50/50 run pass, play penalty free for 60 minutes and to provide as much experience for the 2's-4's as possible. Defensively, the number one goal would be to hold the opposition scoreless for 60 minutes, play penalty free and provide as much experience as possible for 2's-4's.

The cream cheese icing for defense would be sacks and hurry ups. limiting rushing/passing yards, have fun. Offensively SBIV needs at least 300 yards passing and 2-4 TD's, continue to spread the ball around to as many receivers as possible, and have fun with plays you will never or rarely ever use again....reverse with Ladd passing to Bowers or Washington.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

WOW!! MG actually wrote, “The Georgia quarterback is a bonafide Heisman Trophy candidate…”. Quite a departure from the article he wrote a mere 4 weeks ago quoting the Chick who trashed SBIV on the Finebaum show. MG essentially agreed with her that the only reason SBIV was starting is that there is no better alternative. SBIV has been good for a long time, as evidenced by the coaches starting him, but has not gotten media credit, especially from MG, because he was a walk on without the so called expected measurables.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Please don't keep Bennett in the game just to pad his stats for Heisman recognition. An injury against an overmatched opponent when the game has been decided is one of the WORST. There will be opportunities for Heisman moments against the rest of the SEC schedule.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is one game I'm not going to waste time watching. Start Beck and get Vandagriff in there as well. Give Stet the day off from this patsy. I'll read the synopsis later on Saturday while watching TN vs FL.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can't really tout SB for Heisman and then not play him.LOL! He will play at least the 1st half unless we get up by 30 or more before halftime. Somewhere between 30-40 point lead is the sit SB number. You can't play or not play is a better way to put it "scared of an injury." Don't worry, once Kirby feels comfortable that Beck couldn't throw the game away even if he tried, he's in. And like it or not, style points matter.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dangerous talk. Bad habits on the practice field & game can show up & be hard to break the rest of the season. The Dawgs need to practice & come to this game just as ready as they were with Oregon & Carolina. 42-0 at the half then let Beck, Vandagriff & the remaining future Dawg starters hang 70+ on these guys. In fact, lets Have the goal of emptying the bench & letting any walk-on that’s dressed get in the game. The experience gained by playing the entire depth chart is priceless!!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"In fact, lets Have the goal of emptying the bench & letting any walk-on that’s dressed get in the game."----@Betheredge

Haven't you guys been listening? According to Nolan Smith, in an interview last week, that's exactly what CKS has been doing, since he took over in 2016. It's why there was zero drop-off from the 2021 defense to the 2022 defense.

"If you are on the field (regardless of qtr or opponent), you are a starter and you will be held to that standard."----Nolan Smith

There's not much to critique this year, so, I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the show. LOL. The only thing I see changing this year, is the perception that the Dawgs are a BAMA Carbon Copy.

True, Smart picked up some coaching and administrative tips from Saban. But, I believe he also imparted some knowledge to Saban on defense and recruiting. If it was possible to take the Saban/BAMA formula and duplicate it...it would have been done, long before Kirby's Dawgs. How many other coaches has Saban graced College Football with? And, NONE of them have come close to the level of dominance UGA has shown this year...including BAMA.

Maybe, Kirby is better than Saban. I wasn't very successful in convincing people that UGA had the right guy at QB, last year...or that UGA's offense would be a juggernaut in 2022...or that the defensive secondary would be greatly improved, preventing a defensive drop-off...or, that the defense would be dominant, but, different (less sacks...more INTs from pressure and coverage).

So, I don't expect anybody will listen, when I tell em that Kirby is the new GOAT in-waiting, Saban's days are numbered (retire this year?) and Dabo Sweeny has shot his **** (he won't bring Clemson back to Glory anytime soon, if at all). BTW, Clemson is NOT the 5th best Team in the nation. IMO...they will lose 2 or 3 games, at least.