Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football 2023 schedule: 3 way-too-early takeaways for next season’s schedule

SystemSystem Posts: 10,555 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football 2023 schedule: 3 way-too-early takeaways for next season’s schedule

Georgia football learned its 2023 schedule on Tuesday night, with games coming against OIe Miss, Florida and Auburn.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

The goal for next years DAWGS, in my opinion, would be to start by winning the first five games by scoring at least 42 points against each opponent and not allowing any opponent to score. The DAWGS are an elite team with elite players that are coached by an elite team of coaches....anything less would be less than an elite start. South Carolina will be the only team that would have a chance to score. the remainder of the schedule is sub par via players/coaching. Auburn will be a train wreck with a new coach and an athletic department in disarray.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Connor,

Can you or a fellow member of DawgNation explain why we lose the opportunity to play Oklahoma next year. If somehow Alabama can play Texas this year, it would seem to me to be not very difficult for UGA to play Oklahoma in 2023. I cannot believe that there would be too much difficulty dealing with the 2031 return engagement even if that date had to be changed. BAWL State, give me a break.😪

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whoever leads the offense next season, presumably Beck at this point, is going to reap the benefits of what this offense has been building upon. I could see Beck surpassing records that SB sets this season. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The 2023 season will see a first in this rivalry, and that’s before any decision has been made on the fate of current head coach Bryan Harsin. Georgia and Auburn are set to play on Sept. 30 next season. The Bulldogs host Ole Miss and Lane Kiffin on Nov. 11 and immediately follow it up with a road trip to Knoxville, Tenn.

The last truly successful Auburn coach, Tommy Tuberville (who went 13-0 in 2004 and recruited all of the key players for their 13-0 2010 team but 2 on offense), started out at Ole Miss. I say that Auburn would be better off with a coach who has proven that he can build a program with his own recruits and survive a disappointing season or two - best candidate would be Kentucky's Mark Stoops - but if he decides that he wants nothing to do with that chaos then Kiffin is probably the second best option. I would have said Dave Aranda at Baylor, but his decisions lately (running off the starting QB from 2021 to play the backup, losing to BYU) give me pause.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Oh yeah. As Florida will still be (at least) a year away and I do not think that a spread coach with a Big 12/AAC background will ever build the OL/DL necessary to compete in the top echelon of the SEC (I look for Heupel to win 9-11 games a year with the Knoxville crowd deluding themselves into believing that they are contenders ... though granted that is better than anything they had since Phil Fulmer was forced out) UGA should go 11-0 in the regular season next year without breaking a sweat.

• Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope BVG sticks it out, but if Beck is front runner for QB1, BVG may leave to try to get more showcase for NFL scouts…

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's been explained a few times. The point isn't the first game. The point is the series. Because UGA's agreement with OK had been for a home and home, UGA won't be able to hold up their end of that agreement down the road when the second game is supposed to have happened because of SEC scheduling and the fact that OK will be part of the SEC; they don't want our previous engagement to dictate everyone else's schedule down the road. My guess is that Texas/AL did not have a home & home agreement with their game, but it was just going to be a one-off kind of thing.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank gosh the playoffs are expanding...until that 9th SEC game is added and SEC divisions disappear....because that's the only way the Dawgs are going to get to play some better competition. Cannot wait.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

OK, I don't like it but the 2023 schedule ain't going anywhere....I'm looking at our roster/offensive focus/schedule and I'm placing Beck in contention for Heisman!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@osmosiphobe

Frankly, since Oklahoma will be a member of the SEC probably in 2024/5, I don't think it would do UGA harm for not having the "return" game as a roadblock to playing Oklahoma in Norman in 2023. The loss of a prestigious early season game in 2023 is worse for college football and the University of Georgia. The replacement with Ball State is an insult even with the addition of a game in Athens for 2023. Appearances do count for something!