Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia stock report: Leaders emerge amid adversity, weaknesses become more obvious

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia stock report: Leaders emerge amid adversity, weaknesses become more obvious

AUBURN, Ala. — Just who does this Georgia football team think it is?

Read the full story here

Comments

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

O line was whipped. They weren't ready for the defensive scheme - who's fault is that- feels like coaching issues? I think the push to have Stetson throw harder has affected his accuracy. Dawgs will lose to UT if something on the oline doesn't change. Where are the deep passes? - we have a few tall receivers - we aren't throwing the ball down the field much. The net result is sideline throws and the defense is creeping up.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think you've hit the nail on the head. They seem to be lacking chemistry/coordination, and the rotation and frequent position swaps can't be helping.

As to the (lack of) long balls mentioned earlier, until later in the second half SBIV just seemed to have little time and was constantly having to scramble. I looked back at the recording, and when you're consistently having to run around a collapsing pocket, it seems to build anticipation of the need to scramble, even when a pocket does actually hold. Can't see that as great for a passer's accuracy...

Net-net: fix the O line, and it's likely a good season. Don't, and it's more of a typical Richt-era outcome, I'm afraid...

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mizzou out-coached UGA... for most of the game....not all. I did notice that Kenny-Mac, though bruised, ran with much more abandon and grit. He actually set up UGA win. Good call by Monken ...this time. Remember, SEC teams want to knock off the champs...badly. They scheme against UGA weaknesses in the OL and secondary. One commenter is right...Tenn. (UT) will beat UGA if they do not do something offensively. You must score TDs against UT. Podlesny won't win that one. Monken is good but he needs more diversity of game plan against specific foes.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If we think we can hang with Tennessee with perimeter throws and trying to run up the gut 1st and 2nd down, it's gonna be a long afternoon. Same can be said about Mississippi state. Mississippi manhandled the brinks truck at home this weekend and guess where we play. We have got to figure out the top 5 linemen and let them play. I understand depth, etc. Not subbing lineman every other down seems like. If they're playing hurt, I can see that. But come on. And like stated before, we're not gonna terrify teams unless we try something deep. Go for it on 1st down. If we don't get it, we know we'll try and run it on 2nd. Until we take the top off of a defense, they're gonna load the box and run 6-7 defenders at stetson every single play. Which is what he cannot handle, I'm sorry, great qb, but he struggled MIGHTILY against being rushed constantly, this game and last.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

C.J. Stroud- one of the Heisman favorites was 13-of-22 passing for 154 yards against Rutgers. Not very impressive.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look, I know that as a DawgNation reporter you don't want to seem to be a troll, but if you're going to do a "stock report" you can't have everyone has Positive or Even after a game like that.

Bennett just had his Stock drop significantly. Big time. I believe that Smart should've put in Beck and seen if he could've gotten us in gear. Bennett's Heisman possibilities are now over. He was all over the place and he is proving that he can't hit that deep NFL-like sideline pass.

Both lines O-line/D-line were subpar. I guess the O-line could've been worse, but we couldn't run the ball (until the 4th quarter in which case Mizz just ran out of gas). D-line was good sometimes just then they'd just punch a decent run.

Coaching was seriously down. You can not only blame them for the 3rd game (out of 5) where we looked like we were sleepwalking, but it's clear that Mizz had an effective strategy to beat us and we couldn't adapt. How about trying something different other than just waiting until they are gassed to win? How about trying some of those plays that worked for us against Oregon? How about putting in Beck? How about something??

Just these few numbers are enough to place some serious blame around:

• 4 out of 13 on 3rd downs. 13 attempts and 9 failed against Mizz. What the heck??
    • 2 big turnovers and Mizz had zero.
    • 4 FGs needed
    • No TDs until the 4th quarter when Mizz didn't have the depth

Oh, and I don't want to hear the word "style points" for this game. There were no "style points". We won ONLY because Mizz didn't have the depth and made some mistakes. We will lose games in the future if we don't adapt.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not sure if any of our current or recent QBs (incl. JT, Fromm, etc.) could successfully compete consistently with the tremendously porous O line we've had. Agree with all who have said we need to open things up on 1st... a bunch. Add Kmac and Edwards as RB1&2, and things look much better... but only if O line starts to gel, which they're clearly not.

• 87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior

As much blame as the Oline is taking, the real issue is that the lack of explosive plays has allowed defenses to stack the box and send pressure after Bennett. Georgia has not produced the types of plays or even threatens to produce the types of plays that force a DC to play two deep safeties and seven in the box. When your TE is your best offensive weapon it doesn't lend itself to explosive plays. Bowers has been a weapon but most of his plays are off of short passes and runs or straight runs off a pitch or handoff. Any decent DC, which are most of the SEC DCs, can take away one playmaker especially when they don't fear you going deep. Hopefully getting Arian Smith and A.D. Mitchell back will open up the offense but until the Dawgs prove they can get explosives I don't see the offense improving.

• FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Enough has been said about the deficiencies that are real and need to be corrected. I have a concern that might not be valid, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... I got the impression that the coaches were determined to establish a running game to open up the passing game. How about reversing that strategy and throw in a heavy dose up tempo on top of that.

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetson is proving himself to be an average passer at best. We need better than average!

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How bout them Dawgs! Undefeated, that's what matters most, this team will rebound. Every game is different, Mizzou played the absolute best they possibly could with a couple of exceptions. Dawgs played about as bad and uninspired as they could have and still found a way to win.

I choose to focus on the big picture and let CKS and company worry about every detail....

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennet was running for his life on most passing plays. He had zero time to survey the field. Fromm or even JT would have been sacked 4- 5 times. His shortness did prevent him from just thowing over the top of the linemen. Finally in the 2nd half we hit some big throws a couple to Blaylock and one to Kearis. With the big O you just throw it and trust he will **** it away.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most of y'all need to just chill. Let us get our deep threat receivers back and healthy before you start freakin' out about the QB and scheme, etc.

Not that any of that matters because it ALL STARTS WITH THE OL. That is what better come together. And if it don't, we better thank our lucky stars we have Stetson and Monken.

I do like the younger guys getting game reps. It all comes down to this in the end: Just win baby!