Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart clarifies his position on Georgia-Florida in Jacksonville

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart clarifies his position on Georgia-Florida in Jacksonville

ATHENS — The Georgia-Florida game is at the front of Kirby Smart’s mind. He knows that Georgia’s future schedule now features a date with No. 3 Tennessee.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's Filler time!

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Home and home. All the way.

• Options
    MaconDawgMaconDawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

It has been a bazillion years since last I went to this game - was actually in the old rickety Gator Bowl! Kirby Smart is from deep Southwest GA and the game does have a special attraction to our South Georgia fanbase. Folks, the winds of change are blowing hard and this old tradition needs to change with the time. Our HBC wants to move to home and home and he is spot on. The only part I would miss is the evenly divided stadium. A loss, yes; but think how great a night game in Athens would be with those pesky lizards. And it appears for a while we will have back to back games with those even more pesky %#@&^! Tennessee Vols. Ouch, just not have both games away in a season! So in 2023, we will have two AWAY games back to back - Jacksonville is just not a home game!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm honestly fine either way. One thing that doesn't get mentioned is the fact that for better/worse, the crowds are far less a factor given the even split. That means is a lot better for us than playing at the Swamp but not as great vs playing at home. That makes it more of an equilizer. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it is rarely mentioned.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

Home and Home. Jacksonville is home turf for Florida. Too far from Atlanta. Sometimes, money isn't everything. If they want Jacksonville, then every other year should be Atlanta's Mercedes Stadium. I'd rather it just be home and home

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

What about a four-year rotation: Atlanta, Jacksonville, Athens, Gainesville? I'd hate to see the cocktail party disappear forever.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

did you see the UTN vs Bama game? Do you think that game would have the same impact if played in Birmingham or Memphis?

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior

UF wants the game in Jacksonville, let them play it in Jacksonville every other year 50/50 and we play in Athens the alternate year. If Jacksonville means so much to them, make UF put up or shut up. No Jacksonville Atl rotation, don't like it at all. This wouldn't give a recruiting advantage to us at all. Jacksonville and Fla has milked UGA fans forever, time for it to stop.

• Options
    DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Georgia-Florida game played in Jacksonville, FL is in effect a HOME GAME for the GATORS for the last Eighty-Nine (89) years. Either change the location to the Merced stadium in Atlanta, GA for the same number of years played in Jacksonville, or alternate home games every other year like other SEC scheduled games.

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith You’re a step closer to winning your war on Jacksonville.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ForestryDawg You know the Georgia head coach wants the home game in Athens, right?

I just came in from 10,000 feet 5 years ago and said, WTH?

Sanford Stadium is beautiful, the campus incredible, the downtown incomparable -- why would anyone ever want to play any game away from there that could be held on Vince Dooley Field?

Maybe there was a time Jacksonville was "all that," but having been down there 4-5 times it's OK -- but not worth giving up a home game IMO

Kirby has it right.