Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart offers heartfelt message following passing of Georgia icon Vince Dooley

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart offers heartfelt message following passing of Georgia icon Vince Dooley

Georgia lost an icon on Friday as Vince Dooley, the program’s all-time winningest coach and long-time athletic director, passed away peacefully at his home on Friday at the age of 90, with his wife and four children by his side.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AugustadogAugustadog Posts: 10 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options

I would hope that someone within the Athletic Dept is chartering a plane and gathering up the black jerseys to make sure they are in Jax by kickoff.

• Options
  • Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh I sure hope so !! That would be an Awesome tribute to a Awesome Coach, Georgian, and Man. RIP Coach Dooley. You Will be missed and remembered. Coach Dooley is the primary image of my earliest memories of the Dawgs. Thank You for all the many Wonderful Memories Coach !!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now get the long overdue statue done at Sanford Stadium. I had the pleasure to meet Coach Dooley after the game at the Outback Bowl when we defeated Wisconsin in the late ‘90’s.. I walked away thinking that man has more class than anyone you’ll ever meet. Jim Donnan just walked away with nothing to say but Coach Dooley stood for a few seconds to say a few words to my wife and I, thanked us for our support, just ordinary fans. A truly classy Southern gentleman. Prayers 🙏 lifted up to the Dooley family! RIP Coach!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No freaking way. Red, all the way. That's what the Dawgs wore for home games, when Dooley was coach. Bring the black jerseys and dump them, all, in the St. John's River, for good.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When did the Dawgs EVER wear the hideous black jerseys, when Dooley was coach? That's right. NEVER. Red and silver, all the way.

• Options
    edited October 2022

While what you say is true. Your opinion about the black jerseys being “hideous” might not be shared by all Dawgs fans or even most Dawgs fans. Black is and has been for centuries a traditional color for mourning. I don’t see any harm at all In wearing them. And as they are in fact a part of the programs uniform ensemble and Coach Dooley just passed away I think wearing Black jerseys would be very appropriate and a team wide sign of Respect and Mourning from Dawg Nation at large. Speaking of Respect I mean You no disrespect or sarcasm. It’s just my humble opinion like We All have. Whatever uniforms Kirby and the program decide to wear this Sat. I’ll be just as proud of them and pulling for them to lay a Big Stomp on the chomp !! That would be very pleasing to Coach Dooley I’m sure !! 😀 P. S. I’m assuming your a Navy Vet, Thank You For Your Service.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

I absolutely hate the black jerseys, but I have to agree with you @navydawg that under these special circumstances, it would be totally appropriate to do something like that to honor Coach Dooley. You made your point well, as you usually do in your comments. I do think that if they choose to use the black jerseys to honor the memory of Coach Dooley, it would be strange to break them out again in the future for no particular purpose. GO DAWGS!

RIPCVD

• Options

Thank You !! And I always appreciate your well thought out comments. For the record I’m a Traditional Uniform as far as the colors to. But I don’t mind the Black jerseys every once in a Great while. I say I don’t mind them I can certainly live without them to !! Maybe using them to mourn extremely VIP Dawgs like Coach Dooley would be a good thing. BUT that might also open a can of worms to as people in the future could and would Rightly ask Who warrants the wearing of the Black jerseys ? So you know on second thought maybe it’d be better to leave them in the storage room !! I wouldn’t want Any Dawgs VIP to be snubbed and their family’s feelings hurt at a sensitive time like that. What I Hope for is our Dawgs to utterly Crush the Mud Lizards today !! Coach Dooley would Love that !! Best Wishes to You & your family !! God Bless !!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

Red jerseys, Silver britches, Black Arm bands

If we have "retro" jerseys in our wardrobe then all the better.

Go old school as a sign of respect.

But most importantly, beat the tar out of Florida as the ultimate tribute!

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach Vince Dooley, the definition of DGD. I mourn his loss, and even more, I celebrate his life. May all who loved Coach Dooley find peace in knowing that we all will one day be together with God.