Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia flexes championship resiliency, turns back Florida 42-20

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia flexes championship resiliency, turns back Florida 42-20

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Georgia showed why it’s the No. 1 team in the nation on Saturday, overcoming three turnovers in an emotional rivalry game victory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A little scary in the 3rd quarter when both offense and defense had difficulties and started to look panicked—Bennett even reverted to ‘bone head’ form on a very risky throw that led to an interception. However, as you say, nice bounce back by all concerned. Go Dawgs! 👍

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Losing Nolan Smith and A. Mims is rough. Good to see Carter back - so explosive and powerful.

Concerned about SBIV - should have had 1 TD and 4 INTs. Four of the first six passes were into double coverage. Throwing behind receivers resulted in another five drops. He looks comfortable in the pocket, though, and he does a nice job of feeling pressure. Gonna need to be sharp next week. Need more AD Mitchell and less McConkey, I think.

Always good to stomp the gators, though. The "must-win" game of every season. Starting defense is game MVP. So relentless.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 351 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hope Nolan Smith and Mims will be ok and can return for Tennessee. Nolan is our defensive leader and is needed out there.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA is a 4th Qtr club. Time and again they have come through late in the game going away. Simply cannot do this against TN...I do not believe. Need to be healthy as well. Losing Nolan Smith...hurt. It was evident. Jalen Carter was also a major factor in this win. We really need AD Mitchell back. Stetson is not a pocket QB...run it Stetson. Ample opp. to do so and even gave up an interception. Overall his stats were good, though. Shout out to Daijun Edwards and Kenny Mac...Yes, Kenny, I forgive that very costly fumble. Good RBU showing.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2022

On to TN....they are boat-racing KY and we're going to have our hands full next week. Thank the Lord this game is in Athens. To win we need 3 things to happen: 1 - get pressure on Hooker. 2 - DBs must play sound, not miss assignments and limit too many chunk plays, and 3 - we have to run the ball. If we get in a shootout with them, we don't have the QB and WR's to keep pace. Hate to admit it but I'm a little nervous about us stopping that TN offense.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We're going to need more than resiliency next week against the Vols. Stet MUST play flawlessly, and the defense MUST communicate quickly and make adjustments immediately or it could be a long afternoon. With Nolan Smith most likely out next week, another leader will have to emerge to take over. Tennessee looks pretty invincible and incredibly dialed in.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2022

Agreed MontanaDawg. If we get behind 2 scores especially early then all the resiliency in the world won't help us. We need to get up early against TN and break any momentum for them in the 1H. They will fold if we do so.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Costly victory for UGA. Losing DSmith, NSmith and Mims after already losing OT #4 (Greene) starting to create some thin positions IF guys are out for extended periods.

I believe some FU players said, "this is going to be real" and "we should be able to run the ball". Honestly the ONLY time I heard Brenton Cox's name mentioned was when the network talked about scholar athletes. Might be smart to focus more on playing than talking.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m expecting a defensive game plan set up to slow the Vol offense down. I have no idea why Kentucky is so quick to allow the ball carrier up. There are many things a team can do to disrupt tempo that have nothing to do with faking injuries.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

KY was having some pretty decent success running the ball vs TN. Then for no apparent reason that the Ole Recliner Coach could see they almost completely abandoned their run game and started chunking it exclusively !! And That’s when they got in a ton of trouble !! I think like 5 INTs at least two of those were pick 6s !! Dawgs have a Much bigger, stronger, more athletic O line than KY. Dawgs also have a Very Versatile group of RBs, each bringing their own style of run to the table. RUN the ball !! Pepper in enough Easy passes to keep them from wanting to crowd the line of scrimmage. But Run the ball Until or Unless they show that they are able to stop our run game Consistently. Dawgs bread & butter have been primarily Bowers, ( Allot of Bowers) McConkey, and Washington, with a dab of K. Jackson, Rosemy Jack-Saint added in. Well the Vols are gonna be Expecting Bowers and will have Defensive provisions set up for him. The “New” Dawgs O id pass First and More Often then pepper in some runs. That’s been the Dawgs MO over the last 8 games. So flip the script on em !! RUN the ball more and pepper in Easy passes. Then when you’ve lulled em to sleep hit Bowers deep !! If nothing else it will keep their Quick Tempo O off the field a little longer and maybe give our Defense a few more precious minutes to get some oxygen !! If we start slinging the ball and missing the 3 and outs will come much quicker, our Defense will get gassed quicker, game over we lose. But I honestly Believe our O Line is Much better than KY and our stable of RBs Much better as well. Look at the TN vs UF game. Yes UF lost but only by 3 points and they kept the game that close by Running the ball. The Vols won the game based in some part to Richardson turning the ball over. Run the ball More, throw it Some but less than usual and our Dawgs will beat the Vols !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Consider team talent, what it means, what it doesn't mean...

Notice where we stand nationally and how the teams having talent similar to ours have performed.

Do the same with Tennessee. Also with teams having talent similar to theirs.

It's true Tennessee is red hot and on a roll. Somehow they've found ways to maximize their talents and play four quarter games.

Our team is very talented, and very deep, but also very young. Injuries have hurt us badly. In order to beat Tennessee we must keep their defense on the field. Kentucky abandoned what was working; we must play to our fundamental strengths. We must be dominant on the line of scrimmage.

Against Florida we too often looked sloppy. That won't do next Saturday. We also made far too many unforced errors particularly in the defensive secondary, but not just there.

Stetson must be much more precise. Our receivers must hold on to passes thrown their way.

Exactly how and why Tennessee is doing so well this year is beyond my pay grade. I give enormous credit to the Tennessee coaching staff. I'm also expecting hoping to see Kirby & Company punch those guys in the mouth. However the key to beating Tennessee will be body blows which means Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington blocking and running over people as well as a very strong running game.

Kirby has said several times we've not played our best game yet. Fact is we haven't had to.

From Kirby down to the water boy it's time to step up big time.

Go, Dawgs!