Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football pass rusher Nolan Smith feared to have suffered season-ending injury

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football pass rusher Nolan Smith feared to have suffered season-ending injury

Georgia might be without its star edge rusher for the remainder for the rest of the season, as the pectoral injury he suffered in the win over Florida is feared to be season-ending, according to a report from Jake Rowe of Dawgs HQ and Matt Zenitz of On3.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate to hear this news but not unsurprising. As the season progresses injuries are the typical collateral damage...but they offer no excuse for failure. All teams lose key players...Thank gosh Kirby recruits as well as he does...

This is when our resiliency is truly tested...are we the conqueror or the conquered???

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

NSmith's leadership will be missed on the field. No mention of MJ Sherman by CR. UGA does have some bodies to throw at the position.

I would like to see UGA try Mykel Williams at that position. Undersized (for DE) players like NSmith, Chambliss and Sherman have not had much success at all getting to the QB this season. Williams's combination of size, strength and athleticism would be nightmare for OT's to handle if he were cut loose to rush the QB on every play..

Another problem for UGA that I haven't seen anyone talk about this week. Substitutions. UGA likes to play a lot of people. But TN tempo makes sub'ing difficult. If UGA is unable to sub, UGA DL gets worn down, TN O takes off.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well the good news here is we can make excuses if we lose and be like the Bama fans! OK, a little sarcasm there. Agree with Montana, we have the depth and I believe the guys behind Smith will step up. Hopefully he has a George Pickens style recovery and can help us later, if not prepare for the draft.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang it.

🙏🏻 for Nolan.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I was hoping it was only a pectoral strain, which could have seen him be available even this weekend. But if he's having surgery, it's a full pectoral muscle tear. I really, really hate that for Nolan and the team. I'm actually more concerned about losing his leadership than his play. Others will step in to fill the gap and even WITH Smith all year, I think we rank last in the SEC in sacks -- and that's after getting three against UF. With Jalen Carter back, we'll still get QB pressures, but it's the leadership of Nolan -- on and off the field -- that the team will miss. Last year we lost Adam Anderson right after the Florida game and kept it moving. I know this year's defense is not on par with last year's, but maybe we'll still maintain our high level of play. Go Dawgs!

• MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited November 2022

It seems like we always lose a critical player after playing Florida.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hate it for Nolan. I wonder if this was related to the injury he suffered in the first game against Oregon (I believe it was)? If you recall, he made kind of a clothes-line tackle that stretched his pectoral and caused him to come out of the game. He later returned and finished the game, but perhaps the muscle was already weak from that injury and a similar strain caused it to rupture. A torn pectoral is a tough injury to recover from and he will likely be out 4+ months recovering. I hope it won't impact his draft status, but if it does, he might be able to come back for one more year because of the covid grace year. That would be the only silver lining for Dawgs fans.