Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Initial College Football Playoff takeaways show why Georgia needs to win more than Tennessee

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageInitial College Football Playoff takeaways show why Georgia needs to win more than Tennessee

There was a pretty wide gap between how Kirby Smart would’ve taken any College Football Playoff ranking chatter vs. how the general public reacted to Georgia’s surprising No. 3 ranking in the initial College Football Playoff rankings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Georgia could very well make the College Football Playoff in that scenario, it would just need a great deal of help."

I believe the loss to Tennessee in the scenario would have to be a very close score in a well played game along with the other conditions mentioned in the article. It would also help if not only Oregon continues to win with impressive fashion, but Tennessee would have to go undefeated through the SECCG for a one-loss UGA to get in.

I like the idea of UGA handling their business by winning out as @Kconnorriley also described in the article. I haven't revealed anything here that DawgNation doesn't already know, I'm just excited about this game and wanted to put it in writing! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Pac-12 is strong? Yeah, what a joke.

The Bulldogs have a better win than Ohio State.

Yes, but there are other comparison points than that. Look folks. We are 9 years into the playoff and prior to that had over a dozen years of the BCS. The committee isn't going to decide that the one metric that favors your team is the most important. Especially if that metric is going to change from year to year. Also, don't overrate the public perception of Oregon. To be concise, had it been Ohio State, Michigan, Tennessee or Clemson to beat Oregon instead of UGA, UGA fans wouldn't think much of that win over a Pac-12 team with Bo Nix at QB either.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I predicted over the weekend the same Top 3 in the same order as the CFP Committee. Tennessee is playing the best right now, is explosive, and clearly has the best resume of the Top 4. They deserve #1. Ohio State's offense is more explosive than Georgia's and has CJ Stroud. #2 was almost a toss-up for me, but Ohio State won out as #2. They let Penn State stick around longer than they should have this past weekend, but we blew Q3 against Florida and let them score many points. We also struggled against lowly Missouri. So, for me, OSU looked a bit better. I had Michigan as #4, so I was very shocked - like most of the college football universe - to see Clemson ahead at #4. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

None of this really matters at all, but I think it's a fun exercise and lets you know that strength of schedule and performance on the field matter in the rankings. I'm glad we're not #1 as now all the pressure is on the Vols. But, we'd better finish the drill, play to our level, and stomp them in OUR HOUSE!!!

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was mildly surprised that Georgia was ranked behind Ohio State, but I was certain Tennessee would be #1, and I wanted it that way.

Not only is UGA’s ranking no great calamity, it should add motivation to our team. It may not seem like it, but it’s a good thing. Beating the #1 team will be fun.

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

When has Tennessee been relevant in the last two decades? They (Vols) must prove it to me and my Dawgs! It doesn't matter at this point. If you make the top four that's all that counts! Good journalism though!

• Options
    m4dawgsm4dawgs Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I believe it would be fair to say that, with the exception of game 1, that most of us are Dan Lanning fans…

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Clemson at #4 just shows that they're still smooching up to Dabo. They have played subpar all year. No ups and downs. I mean, they even benched QB1. So #4, no. It isn't a shock. Everyone is still fawning for another Clemson/Bama title game.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

I reject the premise in the headline. Not on the grounds that it's untrue that Georgia will not get the mulligan everyone is ready to give Tennessee for losing this game, but on the grounds that is a matter of perception and that perception is faulty.

Georgia's win over Oregon is better than anything Tennessee has done. Against their one common opponent to date, Georgia's result was far superior. Looking at the bottom end of each team's resume, Georgia needed four quarters to put Missouri away, while Tennessee needed overtime to handle Pitt - again, Georgia's result is favorable.

Tennessee's second best win, against an LSU team that wasn't playing well at the time and has a loss to FSU to their name, gets a slight nod over Georgia's destruction of South Carolina, and there's the Kent State game through which Georgia sleepwalked. But that's it? That's the difference between having your ticket stamped and facing a practical elimination game in early November, when the team in the latter scenario otherwise has arguably had a better season?

Virtually everyone in the CFB landscape seems to be rooting for a magical season for Tennessee, and this assessment of where they stand compared to the undefeated reigning national champions strikes me as little more than the latest manifestation of that. Unfortunately, it's now taking a form that actually matters.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The WIN over the Vols in Sanford Stadium on Dooley Field will only make the Dawgs resume look all the better !! Go Dawgs !!