Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Josh Heupel: Georgia emotion, atmosphere too much for Tennessee to handle in 27-13 loss

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageJosh Heupel: Georgia emotion, atmosphere too much for Tennessee to handle in 27-13 loss

ATHENS — A national audience looking in, SEC championship stakes on the line and a capacity Georgia football crowd provided too big of a moment for Tennessee to handle on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We beat a very good team and held the #1 offensive team to one TD when it didn't mean anything. The battle of the nmber ones and we won it. And Bama falls apart ... what a great day! Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, TN wilted under the fan pressure as Smart seemed to feel they would. They are a good team, not great. A stout UGA defense took care of their vaunted OL And TN's pass protection is definitely vulnerable. Emotion raised false expectation for TN as they had beaten Bama...another not so great team with now a second loss at the helmets of two-loss LSU.

As they say, UGA let the big dogs out yesterday....let's see how the CFP Committee handles this UGA win.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Beyond the helpless, deer in the headlights look Hype-el wore most of the night he left another impression on me. Remember the Roots mini series? The episode where a brash, cocky Chicken George pitted his prize fighting rooster against the bird from England? The look on Chicken George's face when it began to sink in that his overmatched bird was in way over his head and was being taken apart. That was the look I saw on CJH's face.

The bad news is that TN is a virtual shoe in for the CFBPO now that AL and Clempsun have lost. UGA will probably need to face them again. This time on a neutral field.

Two RB fumbles. were bad, Need to cut down on turnovers. CKS taking his foot off the gas in the 2nd half. Does he trust SBIV to not make "boneheaded" plays for an entire game? Still very tough games to be played. Still rat poison to be ignored.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

It was obvious that the point was to play keep-away in the second half, which wouldn't have changed if we had a future first rounder taking the snaps. After that first half, there's no reason to think we couldn't have kept pouring it on if it were needed.

As for facing them on a neutral field, we should certainly expect less than the total domination we saw yesterday the second time around. But so far there's been no indication that Georgia isn't simply better than Tennessee. They'll have the historical advantage of getting a rematch after having lost the first time. But until some evidence to the contrary emerges, we have reason to be confident that that won't be enough.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And he still can't admit they were beaten by a more talented, and better coached team..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    TransplantedDawgTransplantedDawg Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

The only thing that bothered me was that touchdown- for some reason we blitzed the SAFETY from 15 yards off the ball- guess where the pass went? That was a terrible call and gave Tennessee a big play and yards.

I didn’t want to give them anything- the only times they scored were off our screwups or terrible ref calls-fumble, 2 DPI first downs, and a face mask on 4th and 28 and subsequent bad defense call

Fans we’re off the chain - Kirby let the Dawgs out!!! Whoot whoot…..

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

They didn't score off the facemask foul. We still got the ball back a few plays later.

As frustrating as that was in the moment, I actually kind of like how it played out in the end. They had something like second and 2 in the red zone, only to end up giving up a sack at around midfield on fourth down. Then we messed around and spotted them the ball, and got it back on downs again. Those Dawgs were like a cat with a mouse at that point.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

They are not a shoe in for the playoff...anything but.

They will not get a conference championship game and for all the talk of teams that have "backdoored" their way into the playoff, it has never been 2 teams from the same division, mainly because there is a head to head data point between the teams, and that data point for Tennessee is ****.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...don't pay much attention to that "UGADad20 guy". It's just one of many "boneheaded comments" by this fringe Dawg Fan. He still hasn't gotten over being WRONG about...well?...virtually, "Everything UGA Football". LOL...He's still trying to validate an opinion he held about SBIV, 3 yrs ago. Don't underestimate him, though...he could be right about something, one day.

I haven't felt like the Dawgs were in danger of losing a game, since last year. I said before the season, that UGA was going to be an "offensive juggernaut" and their defense (secondary in particular), would be as good or better than any defense Smart has ever coached. I said, by the time UGA played UF, Bennett would be a strong Heisman Candidate. They can score, practically, "at-will".

I don't remember the last time, I saw a team, as dominant as the Dawgs are, in all 3 phases of the game. Maybe the Nebraska teams of the '90's. Or Miami teams of the '80's. Or BAMA teams of the '60's & '70's.

So far, the only thing that has stopped the Dawg Offense...is, the Dawg Offense or the coaching staff slowing the roll, in order to impose their will (because they CAN), in the 3rd and 4th qtr..

WINNING = "The Main Thing". Let's keep "The Main Thing", the main thing. Anything else, is window dressing. In a year or 10 yrs, nobody will remember point differentials or how the dogs finished, statistically. The only thing most people will note, is the wins/losses column and awards/trophies.

Blowing teams out, for "the sake of Blowing them out"...does not improve your team. It may be pretty and get you a lot of "ESPN-Love 'n Hype"...but, it won't make you a better team.

Smart and the Dawg Coaching Staff played the season perfectly. Using the Samford, Missouri, Kent State and AUB games to prepare your team for adversity in the 2nd half of the season and improve your depth...is a Master Coaching ****.

There was no-way the Dawgs were going to see any adversity from any of their 1st seven opponents, unless UGA's coaching staff created it schematically....and, that's what they did.. Genius!! Now, they are prepared to play all the Tennessee's and OSU's you can throw at em.

I want to thank and congratulate all of the Dawg Fans that attended the game in Athens. I've never been prouder of Dawg Nation, than I was yesterday. That was the loudest I've ever heard it, "Between the Hedges". Had to turn my TV down. LOL

Go Dawgs...2022 prediction...UGA 15-0 record...UGA SECC...UGA CFPC...Manning flips from Texas to TENN or UGA...Saban Retires...2023 will be the 1st time BAMA and AUB begin a season with complete coaching overhauls.

Oh yeah...and, UGA will Shut-Out Miss St and Kentucky...but, the Coaching Staff will ratchet down again, for the Tech game game, in preparation for the SECCG. Beck and BVG may get a lot of playing-time, in this game.

Git er done...Big D!!!

• Options

LOL...How old are you? BAMA and LSU played in the National Championship game in 2011. Same Conference...Same Division.

Never say, "never.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

I see UT is now accepting moral victories 🤣 take solace coach, your offense has scored the 4th most points on UGA's defense this season..behind powerhouse Kent St (22) SEC powerhouse Missouri (22) and an average Florida team (20). That should help you sleep a little better this week😂🤣😂

• Options
    edited November 2022

UGA could've kept pouring it on? Then why didn't they? Makes sense to keep scoring doesn't it? Running dive after dive into the line is not playing keep away when you are punting on all but 1 of your 2nd half possessions. Edwards, Milton and Robinson averaged 2.5 ypc for the game (24/60). CKS was trying to run out the clock but looked to be afraid to let SBIV take any chances throwing the ball. Safe to say if he had a 1st rd QB he would let him throw a pass in the 2nd half. SBIV played pretty well vs TN (1st half). Better than he has in multiple other games this year. His stat's (TD's, long ball accuracy, QBR) are down this season.

There is no doubt that the crowd noise had a huge impact on the TN O. Multiple pre-snap penalties. Also UGA blitzed very little this year. Hence the 10 sacks in 8 games. Saving those looks for TN produced 6 sacks yesterday alone. That element of surprise is gone as is the uncertainty of how the UGA D would cover utilizing man to man D w/Ringo shadowing Tillman (BTW nice to see the UGA staff following my suggestions from last week LOL).

UGA is better but the better team doesn't always win. Expect TN to play better having played UGA once.

• Options

Littledog61 "LOL...don't pay much attention to that "UGADad20 guy".  This coming from the guy that guaranteed SBIV would have "a break out season (in his 4th starting in college) surpassing his '21 stats and be favored to win the Heisman in '22." Dumb and Dumber. LOL

• Options

Where have YOU been, Little Lord Fauntleroy? LOL. Everything I told you would happen, has happened. So far. Not many people can say that, this year. You, not thinking Bennett is worthy of being in the Heisman discussion, says everything anybody needs to know, about your Football IQ.

I called the BAMA losses after Spring Practice. I said that BAMA would lose at least 2 or 3 regular season games and one of those losses may be to Texas. I said that Young would probably get injured early in the season, due to a lousy offensive line unable to protect. I said that BAMA had nothing in the WR room even remotely in Williams/Metchie or Smith/Waddle territory and that's the "room' they rely on the most to move the ball. Everybody else...and I mean everybody...was saying this may be "Saban's best team" and wondering if UGA could possibly be good enough to lose to em in the SECCG. The biggest thing, that hasn't happened yet, is my assertion that this would be Saban's final season. He may stay on as AD, but, doubtful.

As far as Bennett...They were already touting Bennett for Heisman after the Samford game. He was 3rd on the list. It fell off for a few games after he was injured in the Missouri game. That was a setback, but, Kirby was also putting his finger on the scales WRT offensive scheme in order to slow UGA's offense, which hurt everybody's Stats.

Why did he want to slow UGA's offense, you ask?

Kirby wanted to create a little controlled adversity and improve depth at DB/DL and OL/WR. Which he succeeded in doing, on all counts. UGA was never in any danger of losing a game. The Dawgs can score, virtually at-will.

It's because of the depth Smart built during games 4/5/6, that the loss of N. Smith, AD Mitchell and several others, was barely noticed. There were a number of players with the Flu that couldn't play, including 2 defensive linemen that had to be replaced.

Kirby Smart, IMO, is a brilliant strategist. He won the game against TENN through steps he took 3 yrs ago, after the SECCG with LSU. He should get Coach of the Year. Again.

The Heisman talk, for Bennett, has started heating up again. Bowers' name has been thrown into the pool too. it has started cranking up again after his showing in the Tennessee game.

You're still down on the guy, huh? I don't think there's anything Bennett can do...or anything, anybody can say that would convince you otherwise.