Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs and their fans show Vols what it means to be ‘elite’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,650 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageDawgs and their fans show Vols what it means to be ‘elite’

“This is one they’ll be talking about a long time.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Glory, Glory to our Dawgs! I am so proud of EVERY single one of them and the coaches and fans!!!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Think about that, and let’s take a moment to appreciate what Smart has brought to this program. These are the glory days; enjoy every moment."

Bill you are so right'

I will add the six sacks by the defense, especially that great defensive stand that drove the Vols backwards with each play resulting the more dawgs than Vols in their backfield made Coach Russell proud.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's interesting that every article has mentioned the patches they wore for the 2 that passed away, but didn't mention the cool (in my mind at least) painted signatures of both coaches along the sidelines. I thought that was really neat and creative.

I also loved seeing Nolan Smith really hyping up the team. That type of energy can't be understated.

So, starting tomorrow, Georgia needs to focus and not get over confident. We still have 2 tough SEC away games left that can easily turn against if we allow it. We also need more than just wins, but we need solid wins. Bennett needs to keep his consistency going, we need to get massive running yards and we need to show that we are indeed the #1 team.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

kirkhilles: It's in the Blawg up above: "Both legends also were honored with markings on Dooley Field ..."

• Options

It was SEVEN sacks, actually: Carter’s tackle and caused fumble in the end zone counts as a sack.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love the mention of appreciating where the program is and what Kirby has accomplished. We all know these things ebb and flow so enjoy the ride on the top and savor each moment. As Warren Zevon once said while dealing with cancer - make sure to savor every sandwich and these are some mighty good sandwiches right now. Go DAWGS

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 358 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Couldn't agree more that these are indeed the "glory days." It was a complete day for all the various units... offense, defense, and special teams.

The only real downside, which would have made this a much more lopsided game were it fixed, was dropped passes. While less than usual (esp. for Ladd... what a day!), Darnell and a few others continued to drop "on the money" balls that would have really impacted the game even further. This needs to be addressed at some point, since (presuming we make the CFP) there will be days when the defense may not show up as well if we have further injuries or face a foe with a better O line.

All that said, very little to otherwise complain about... an "elite" day for the Dawgs!

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Gibroni88 The official box score says 6 sacks.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article as usual Bill...

And what a great day for our recruiting efforts!! I know there were a bunch of '23, '24, and even '25 recruits in the stands.

Monken's game plan was fantastic. Defense - 6 sacks, a bunch of pressures, secondary played lights out, and thank GOSH Mr. Carter was back in force!

• Options

@BillKing The official box score says that the fumble in the end zone on the **** sack by 88 was not a safety and that it was brought out of the end zone to the half yard line as well, Bill, but we all know that did not happen.

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

What a game day atmosphere and what an unbelievably LOUD environment in Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium. Those Vols were definitely INTIMIDATED.

The reviews by the officials were the biggest bummer on an otherwise great game. It was not just the blown calls (the obvious safety that was somehow ruled a fumble or advanced out of the end zone AND the missed targeting against UT on the Stetson rushing TD at the right pylon), but the length of time they took to review the plays and still mess up the calls was staggering. The first quarter took almost an hour, thanks to the refs. We can only be grateful that those calls didn't cost us the game. Some of the PI or non-PI calls were also questionable. It's so frustrating as fans to have to endure that.

I also appreciated the sideline signature tributes and others to Coach Dooley and to Charley Trippi. It would be great if they could have the red sideline tributes again in place for the Tech game. Finally, the flyover of the HC-130 during the pre-game was cool too!

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

I would be remiss if I did not comment on Thorson's bomb of a punt and the tremendous effort of Nyland Green to be sure it went out at the 1 yard line! That was the greatest punt I have ever seen in person and was a huge momentum play in the game. Just fantastic at 75 yards and a true coffin corner (you don't hear that term much any more but it sure applies for this one) kick!