Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Week Two CFP Rankings: Georgia No. 1 but nothing changes; reading Tennessee tea leaves

SystemSystem Posts: 10,501 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageWeek Two CFP Rankings: Georgia No. 1 but nothing changes; reading Tennessee tea leaves

ATHENS — Nothing has changed for Georgia football, no matter if the program jumped from No. 3 to No. 1 in the CFP rankings released on Tuesday night.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These guys sound more idiotic every week. They should do themselves a favor and just go with no comment. Their logic changes weekly and often contradicts itself. Just clowns.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good grief.

1. The 2018 playoff field was 3 undefeated teams and a 1 loss conference champion as the #4 seed.
    2. Not only did UGA have 2 losses and was not a conference champion, but they didn't beat an actually good team in 2018. Their best wins were 10-3 Kentucky and 10-3 Florida.
    3. UGA's claim to fame in 2018, "almost" beating Alabama, was rendered moot by Bama getting thrashed 44-16 (really 51-16 but Dabo did what Saban didn't for Texas in 2009 and took a knee). UGA would have had no shot against Clemson, who was better at every position.
    4. Finally, UGA would have been the #3 team in the SEC West behind Alabama and LSU. LSU beat UGA by 3 TDs. The idea that the 3rd best team in the SEC should have made the playoff is ridiculous.

No, UGA did not deserve to make the title game in 2007 and they did not deserve to make the playoff in 2018.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are they serving long drinks at those commission meetings? LOL

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

It’s a close race for the most clueless “experts” in college football…the ESPN talking heads lead by Kirk Herbstreit or the College Football Playoff Committee lead by Boo Corrigan.

• Options
    RationalDawgRationalDawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    RationalDawgRationalDawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...I think we're all on the same page with this particular "CFP Committee"......Blind leading the blind. (SMH)

If you want in, you better win... or if you lose, make sure it's to somebody they already hold in high esteem.

The Committee and most of sports media (if not ALL) were absolutely convinced that Alabama was going to dance to the CFP, simply because they had 2 players that WERE highly valued (Young & Anderson). I still haven't figured out why. LOL.

Yeah, Young's good, but, who the heck did they think he was going to throw it to...Burton? With that O-line? Seriously? I've already gone over all this, after everybody's Spring Practice. Not gonna rehash it, but, it is curious. If I saw it, why didn't all these highly-paid experts with megaphones see it? OR...did they?

Saban and his Coordinators get an absolute failing grade this year. The crazy thing is, they were very close to being in the same position, last year.

Then....The CFP Committee was absolutely convinced Tennessee was the best team, even though, every Sportswriter and Coach thought UGA was the best team (AP & Coaches Poll). We all know how that worked out. LOL

The interesting thing is there appears to be a conflict between what we've all come to expect from the Committee's logic and what this Committee's output has been, so-far.

Maybe it's time for the CFP Committee to "put in writing" all of the criteria a team is required to meet in order to qualify for the "Final 4". That way, we're all on the same page....or would that put too many talking heads out of business? LOL

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

I want another shot at Oregon so we can shut Nix up for good. The playoff committee is a bunch of buffoons.

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great - on one hand the committee is using “the emotion of the game” and “one of the top offenses in the country” as an argument, while the other hand ignores stats and simply looks at the score of a common opponent.

This may be a foreign concept, but how about we throw a little logic into the discussion.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2022

That "comparative opponents" talk is nonsense and pure baloney. UGA and tennessee have played one common opponent, florida, and Georgia beat the snot out of them while tennessee barely survived. I am lost on the love for tennessee when their schedule is made up of nobodies and a mediocre Alabama team, against whom they squeaked out a win in the last play. Ball State, Pitt, Akron, florida, UT Martin, Kentucky. Sorry, that does not equal strength of schedule.

I find it funny that the volunteer web site still shows the ranking "at game time" of teams they played, trying to look like they beat real contenders. Yes, that was a good win against LSU but LSU still has losses to FSU and the same tennessee team we throttled. And they took that same mediocre Alabama team to overtime before winning.

tennessee is overrated. Big Time. And they were exposed by an actual top tier team.

**Quick add - tennessee's remaining schedule is Missouri, South Carolina and vandy.

• Options

I'll start this post out with my picks for the Final 4:

#1----UGA, #2----MICH, #3----OREGON, #4----TENN

That's right!...It's gonna be "UGA vs TENN" and "UM vs OREGON" in the Semi's.

I'm not going to try to dig into the CFP Committee's logic, anymore. It would be a hole to "Nowhere". LOL

They aren't following their mandate (Fans, Media and Coaches), this year. Of course...who can blame em after the way that group of people blew their assessment of team UGA, Team BAMA and Team Texas A&M prior to the season.

I don't think they've taken the time to hammer out rules, standards and checkpoints for reviewing each Team's "body of work". Everybody's using their own playbook.

The split in the room is apparent in their output. I think the only thing they agree on, is to disagree. Seems they are using data from the last 3 years to support some of their decisions....i.e., Clemson #4 in last week's Poll??? C'mon...Clemson hasn't been relevant since 2020.

SATIRE: One Committee member to another.....: "I'll agree to voting TCU #4....if, you don't vote BAMA lower than #9. We need BAMA ranked higher than Ole MISS this week." LOL

On top of their failure to maintain the CFP Committee's integrity and prestige....Now, they are plugging for Heisman Candidates. They more or less, made Max Duggan (QB, TCU) an overnight Heisman front-runner.

Why call out that specific QB? They didn't say a word about Bennett, Young, Nix, Stroud, or any of the other QB's that drive high octane offenses. All of them are doing great things in their respective offenses, with a talented supporting cast. Well...maybe not Young, but, it's not HIS fault.

Why is Duggan's "body of work" any better or more vital than all the other QBs? Why did the Committee feel the need to use his name, in support of voting them #4?

This CFP Committee smells rotten. Somebody fairly influential, is probably getting something in exchange for steering the Committee in one direction or the other.

• Options

@MikeGriffith

Mike, anytime you have human influence in anything that can be wagered on, there is danger of corruption, and I think the CFP Committee's first 2 Polls were a Red Flag (I've said the same thing about game officials, Coaches and players). Something odd is going on inside that room. I just can't believe their football IQ is as low as they've displayed, so-far.

Why don't you get some of your staff to do a little digging on each one of these Committee Members and see if you can figure out where "the smell" is coming from.

In fact, next Tuesday night, @7pm, I'm going to put on Lynard Skynard's, "Oooh, That Smell...can you smell that smell...the smell of it surrounds you". Excuse the spelling, "Lynard Skynard" doesn't look right. You get the idea, though. LOL

BTW, I know you think I'm out-to-lunch, but, Saturday is going to be a close game vs MISS ST...On purpose. Kirby and Monkin are gonna dial back the offense for this one (similar to the AUB, Kent St and Missouri games), to manipulate media hype, among other reasons. Kirby knows how to play the media and use em to his advantage. The talking heads and ESPN, do love their numbers or STATS.

They'll start questioning whether the Dawgs can win it all, which is what Kirby wants. LOL Nobody is gonna touch UGA this year. I believe I told you that about 6 Mos ago.

Kirby's team attacks "a season"...not just "a team" on their schedule. They plan their season, so that the Dawgs peak at the right time. CKS said that while planning the 2020 season, some of the Coaches felt that Bennett gave em a better chance against some of the teams on their schedule, than Daniels did. He said that starting Daniels against Clemson was not a unanimous decision. That's just an example of some of the things they look at and what goes into season-planning.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Two Words-- Mississippi State... or Stay Focused... or Resist Hype... or Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So many just don’t remember how we complained about the BCS ERA computer rankings not having enough human thought to account for momentum. Almost like just enjoying the moment being Dawg fans isn’t enough

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ESPN had a little show on last night with inside video and hot mic of the UGA -Tenn game fron UGA's perspective. I really enjoyed it. Lot of Kirby on mic pregame and after the game, locker room talk. Not as much hoorah type talk as you might think pregame and not as much celebratory after the game. Kind of tells you where they're heading!

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Snif. .. Snif... Hmm, smells like cheese.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nice to see that "thadec" is living his anagram well ("the cad").

• Options
    KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate