Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

REPORT: Greg Sankey stresses SEC football preference for single division

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageREPORT: Greg Sankey stresses SEC football preference for single division

ATHENS -- Greg Sankey was still talking about the SEC going to a single-division format during his appearance in Greenville, S.C., on Thursday, the timing of the commissioner’s message making perfect sense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

The SEC needs to take a leadership role and let the NCAA and the CFP Committee know that as soon as the CFP format expands the SEC will no longer hold a conference championship game and instead determine a conference champion based on the expanded conference results.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not in favor of that at all. Trying to be like the softies in the little 10 and wack 12 is not what the SEC should be. Not only that, but will likely ruin a bunch of long standing rivalries. Should just go to 9 game conference schedule. 8 in each division then one crossover. Now as far as divisions go, should definitely think about moving around teams to different divisions. If we went to no divisions, I think it would get even more boring as far as who's playing in the championship game. Also could be even more controversial in my opinion. But that's just my take. Sure that Sankey is only looking out for the $ in college sports. Keeps up like this and before long the NCAA will be become minor league NFL.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the split division. If you want to earn a SECCG win. TN did not win. Do not whine if you lose. Had TN beaten UGA, they would be playing a 7-2 LSU team as well. Oh...then we are all smiles.,..I see.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, what is the result that is wanted here?? After all, with divisions the two best teams don't always play in the SECCG. What is the perfect solution?😎

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

I still don't understand why teams like Texas, Texas Am, Oklahoma, and Missouri get to move into the SEC. Yeah, it's about money, I get that part, but it does not make sense otherwise, plus, it destroys more than a century of pure Southeastern football.

Why were these teams allowed to shred the Big 12? I also read that UCLA and USC are moving to the Big Ten. It's sad that the dollars triumph over all tradition in the end.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Tom_Bomadil you can stick with tradition and have Harvard vs. Yale. Or you can go with the $$$ and have Georgia vs. some other Power 5 team and all the glory and prestige that goes with that. You cannot have both. That shipped sailed decades ago. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

College football is already a free minor league for the NFL. The NFL should be helping to fund our universities, IMHO. 😉

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Heck yes we want a single division AND a 9th SEC game!! That's a no brainer Greg!!

Our schedule next year has turned into a joke. We will be penalized for having such a weak schedule.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Not sure how you equitably schedule a no divisions SEC. Had all the conferences just stayed patient and not rushed all the teams jockeying around, you would have most (if not all ) the best teams making it to they playoffs w/the PO expansion.. And preserved the regional rivalries.

I guess it was strictly a money grab(broadcast rights). But the BIG10 seems to have come out the winner. UCLA, USC (LA TV market) and probably ND (national following) trumps the TX and OK additions. Adding Clempson adds nothing from a TV market standpoint. Adding Clempson makes Clempson with the SEC $$$/team and hurts UGA and SC recruiting by putting another SEC team in close proximity. .

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Single division only really makes sense if every team plays each other during the season. Otherwise, it has the same potential issues as a divisional system where different teams will have in-conference schedules of differing difficulty.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

A real mess any way you look at it. Like everything else...it is all about the $$$.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do we look penalized with our weak schedule this year? That only comes into play when you are on the cusp. If you are on the cusp when there are 12 teams that make it, well that is a major difference of how things work now too.

Just win and the WEAK SCHEDULE DOES NOT AND NEVER HAS MATTERED. It actually HELPS you JUST WIN.

If you DO have a loss, yes it can matter a lot. But if you do not have a loss, it simply does not. Penalized? Come on man. Not if you win! And certainly not if you win and you are in the SEC.

Sure it could come into play if LSU shocks us and the world and manages to beat UGA in the title game. Well, maybe it would. No, I change my mind, it probably would not this year. So there you go, UGA has a pretty weak schedule THIS YEAR and can lose their biggest game and will almost certainly make the playoffs.

So, to sum up, a weak schedule has always worked for undefeated teams and always will. Maybe even if they had an early loss, or only a loss to a top team or just in the title game. And come a 12 team playoff, it shouldn't really matter when you play in the...SEC. Only if you are on the bubble has it and will it ever matter. 4 teams it makes more sense. 12 teams? Schedule out of conference cupcakes baby. And just...WIN! Hasn't failed anyone in the SEC yet.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man this is tough. I see the need for a change whether 4 team pods or single division, but I also see how divisions could still work just as well most years. Always can be a fluky one and just because a stronger team than the other div champ is not in the title game, I mean come on, with 12 TEAMS making it in, that team and ANY others in the same boat, would also make the playoffs.

I mean if it is to get the most teams possible from the conference into the playoffs first and foremost, with 12 teams getting in, that is zero problem, no matter the conference format. I am sure there are other issues I have forgotten because I work a lot, family etc. but if we add 1 team to each division, the SEC will still be very strongly represented in a 12 team playoff.

I like the divisional aspect I must admit. I was around for the single division and I 100% prefer 2 divisions. Gives teams a tremendously better shot of winning the conference if you are not in the current beasts division. With a single division, dang the current beast or 2 is going to be impossible for mediocre or lower level programs to EVER have a chance to win...anything. While some will rotate in and out of the top and bottom half of from year-to-year, basically take half of the conference yearly once the 2 newbies join and throw them all away basically. They will all have HALF the chance or worse even, of EVER winning ANYTHING, than they do NOW. Just a fact.

Too many top programs to match, or do better than, to make it happen. I mean wow, if you are in the East currently, in the future you will have TWICE as many teams to be better than and that includes the likes of Bama, A & M, Ole Miss, AU, LSU, etc on top of UGA, TN, FL, etc.

Going to be a tough road to hoe, probably 5x as hard and for many of the mid-to-lower tier SEC teams, this is a greek tragedy for them. I mean still great for their bank accounts, but devastating for their chances of their schools or programs EVER winning anything or even coming close. I mean, its hard enough for them now. So yeah, throw them in there with all of the big boys and watch them fade to near obscurity and lose what little chance and respect they have now.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can remember several times, over the years, that UGA was in the same position Tennessee is in.

Before the SEC went to a division model, you could have a perfect record and still be the runner-up. Head-to-head matchups weren't a guarantee, so, other criteria was taken into account. I don't remember the entire formula, but, it started at win/loss records...then head-to-head...then...

The point is...there's no scenario that I can think of, that would guarantee the SEC puts forth it's "best team" EVERY year.

You can't guarantee that the actual Conference Winner is the best team, absent a head-to-head matchup with, what is presumed to be, the "2nd best team". That happened through natural course, this year, with TENN vs UGA under the "2 division system"....It may not happen in the "zero division system".

Without a Conference Championship game, there's no way to ensure the Conference is well represented. Besides, the CFP hasn't presented any fast and hard rules, criteria or standards, for Conferences and Coaches to follow.

How can they possibly tailor Conference Champion criteria to match CFP criteria...when the CFP can't even tell you what they are looking at, without contradiction. LOL

IMO....Drop 1 game and have a 4 team playoff at the end of the year...then a Championship game between the 2 winners. A Conference Championship Playoff (CCP) would generate tons of money and interest. Not just in the CCP, but, during the season, as well.

Right now, UGA and TENN would represent the EAST. LSU owns 1 spot in the West, but, the 3rd position would still be battled over, with BAMA holding the edge.

It could be...

UGA vs LSU. & BAMA vs UT

Then....the winners of those 2 games meet in ATL for the Championship game. As you can see, there would probably be a rematch or 2. The rematches can take place in a CCP or in the CFP, but, not both...maybe. Lol

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So now that it is tennessee that could get left out, this matters? It hasn't mattered in the past.