Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart gets testy in defense of Georgia situational execution: ‘That’s my decision to make’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart gets testy in defense of Georgia situational execution: ‘That’s my decision to make’

LEXINGTON, Ky. — Georgia was not great with how it executed in specific situations on Saturday. The Bulldogs struggled to score touchdowns in the red zone and were stuffed in three key short-yardage situations.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    shamymaxshamymax Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

Shamymax

This game tells me me that Kirby had no confidence in Stetson in this game. The jumbo packed formation doesn't work against big defensive linemen, (remember the 10 goal line plays against Florida a few years ago.)

There are no gaps. And finally, will Monken ever call a tight end slant on 3rd down. It's like he's never heard of the play. And DB'S TURN AROUND!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“We haven’t been winning those matchups on third down and one,” Bennett said. ”We gotta win those matchups and we got to start going back to that." When, Stetson......when? The wind excuse falls on my deaf ears. KY plain beat UGA's OL. Warren M...said....rather quietly...we were lucky to win! Ditto.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

25 Wins out of the last 26 games played and “Some” people seem to think that They know how to coach better than he does I don’t blame him for getting a little testy. And frankly I find it refreshing !! Go Dawgs !! Go Kirby !!

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Red zone, gotta be better at that,” Bennett said. “Gotta be better at third and one, fourth and one, goal to go for the one. Gotta be better at all those things. Just in general, whatever that specific play needed to be better at, we needed to be better at it.”

agree with his comments but what I just don’t see from him is any recognition of his continued poor decision making. The unnecessary turnovers and really poor throws into unwinnable situations by Bennett are more of a concern to me than the inconsistency around short yardage plays.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options

Off topic in a way but UAB is giving LSU all they want in the First Qtr. LSU 14- UAB 10 So I don’t understand why some Dawgs fans are shocked that KY made a game of it in Their home stadium. I can’t help and dont care what Vandy did the previous Sat. ( the same Vandy that beat UF by a solid score today). KY had pretty much Nothing to play for to salvage their season BUT beating the Dawgs. If they could have beat the Dawgs it would have served as a very soothing balm on a season gone very bad for them. A Desperate team is a Dangerous team ( See Maryland vs Ohio St. today). I was very concerned about this game Well before today. So though not pretty I’ll Gladly take this Win. NO Saturday is like ANY Saturday in College Football. That’s the mystery and grandeur and glory of it all !! Our Dawgs Won !! Enjoy it !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

It’s not going for it on 4th down, fine with that. It’s the continued poor play calling. We are so stubborn running the ball up the middle on short yardage and when it doesn’t work we just double down to try and prove a point. We have better athletes than any team we play so spread the D out and create space. Good Lord Kirby it’s not that hard to figure out!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey guys.....GA Tech just beat #13 NC...21-17. Maybe UGA will have more than a scrimmage. I doubt it, but maybe. I only have eyes for the LSU game.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only a reporter would question why you go for it on 4th down at the 1 yard line with a comfortable lead. Even knowing the result, kicking a FG would have been a mistake.

I do, however, detest the grind-it-up-the-middle play. I'd much rather see a well planned option run play and fail than a bet you can push through.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most of these comments that complain about this win make me laugh. No, they are laughable.

What coaching staff would you trade Kirby and his staff for? Me? I wouldn’t trade Kirby and his staff for an “all-star” staff picked from every D-1 team in the nation. From recruiting to player development to game planning, they are the best!

What other team would you put in Red and Black that would be better than our Dawgs. Not one!

Complain if you must! The Dawgs are Numero Uno! The best coached, most well rounded team and no other team is close!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It was the wrong call before the play, during the play and after the play. You take a three score lead and line up for the kickoff. I appreciate all that Kirby has done, but math is not his strong point.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just win baby! Heard all of the same stuff last season too. JUST WIN THE **** GAME! TENN is losing 31 to 56 to SC with 8:02 to go in the 4th as I am typing this. Every game will not be a beauty contest and just win it. Was tough condiitons against a very physical team in their place AND they wanted nothing more than to knock off #1 UGA at home! They covered our receivers and TE's fantastically! We WON despite everything not going well. Thats is character and what champions do !

• Options

Amen !! Well said !! Like I commented on another thread here he is 25 Wins of 26 games played. Now among those wins there are some that were Great Dominating Wins, some were Nasty Stinky Wins, some were Ah So-So decent Wins, but the common denominator in the Official Record Books are they are ALL Wins !! If people would go back and look at mighty Bama in their Best Years, they would see similar type wins mixed in there. I have SOME Dawgs fans upset even angry with me for calling out all the Whining, Griping, and Groaning. YES I can understand and accept being objective about the game, and constructive criticism about the game. To Me those type comments are just fine. But Some of these folks go waaay beyond simply being objective and offering constructive criticism, No they start Bashing on Kirby, Coach Monken, and most of all Stetson. Sure they have A Right to do that. But I have a Right to call them out on it to !! I readily admit I’m ALL Dawgs Fan !! A Dawgs Fanatic !! A Total Dawgs Homer !! I can Easily Remember hoping and praying we’d beat GT !! And having one of my uncles Dawg me when we lost to them. And beating UF seemed so far fetched it seemed Nearly impossible !! So to say that I’m grateful to Kirby for All he’s brought to UGA would be a huge understatement Lol !! To Me there’s tactful and much better ways to call out mistakes that Kirby or Coach Monken or Stetson makes than the way SOME of these folks do. They get Nasty about it. Then get upset and angry if you call them out for it. Well about as well ban me from the site then, because when they get Nasty in their bashing of our Coaches and Players, I AM gonna say something if I see it. I come here to CELEBRATE Wins with fellow Dawgs Fans, not Gripe and Groan and Moan as if we Lost the game for goodness sake !!! Lastly and To Me ONLY Arrogant Bama fans expect to blow out every single team they play in every single game and Even That is real young Bama fans that don’t know any better Lol !! The older Bama fans Remember when our Dawgs used to whup up on Em !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

The fact is, Kirby Smart has a play-not-to-lose streak in him instead of play-to-win just as Mark Richt did. Come on, even with the game on the line and Kentucky within striking distance, Georgia continued to run the ball up the middle, three and out. What happened to any semblance of the passing game? Worse play calling I have ever seen. They did the same thing against Tennessee.