Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart gets testy in defense of Georgia situational execution: ‘That’s my decision to make’

Comments

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I responded to your comment on another thread. It’s up to you but I sure wish you’d go back and read it. Your comments here are Spot On !! Totally Agree !! I’m FAR from being a football guru, even though I’ve watched it ( listened to it back in the day on the radio) the majority of my near 66 years of life. But there’s One thing I have come to know as FACT. And that is each Saturday in College Football is unique in and if it’s self. You can’t always go by what happened in a previous game !! It seems a size able segment of Dawgs fans thought that because Vandy beat KY solid @ KY ( the same Vandy that beat UF by a solid score today) then quite naturally the Dawgs should just roll over them right ?? Wrong !! KY had very little left to play for going into this game, BUT to upset our Dawgs !! They were a Desperate Team playing in front of their Home Crowd, with Nothing to lose !! So if they Could have beat our Dawgs it would have been a Huge moral victory for them !! Maybe our Dawgs were looking ahead ?? Maybe Because of the way Vandy had beat them earlier our Dawgs viewed this as a Easy win and went in some what indifferent ?? And for those who Do like to make Previous games comparisons, KY has always ( well mostly always) played us tough at their home. I was concerned about this game all week !! I’m so glad it’s a W and in the books. And I think it will have Very Little bearing good, bad, or in between on the Dawgs future games. I will say this and close this novel, Dawgs would be well advised to go in All Business vs GT !! Go in there beat them Bugs and chalk another W !! I Love and Agree with your mantra Just Win Baby !! That’s the kind of comments I really love to see !!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know why, in EVERY OTHER AREA of people's lives, they feel free to question authority or anything they don't agree with, but those SAME PEOPLE get all hot and bothered if Kirby Smart is ever questioned. Kirby Smart is a human being like everyone else. He can make mistakes. He can make questionable or unwise decisions. He is not infallible or beyond reproach. (And no, I wouldn't prefer another coach). But people, from fans to reporters to folks in the nursing home, have the right to question him. Just because Kirby Smart made a decision doesn't always mean it's the right decision.

And we know we need to do a better job in short-yardage situations and win some one-on-one battles. My question is, since Kirby has so much confidence in his O-Line, is WHY we repeatedly can't seem to win those battles? It's more than just SAYING we need to do better -- it's ACTUALLY DOING BETTER.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everything you’ve said here is True, True, and True. Speaking For Me I don’t mind analytical objectivity and constructive criticism. I can be and feel like I am tolerant of those type comments. And because he IS indeed human, even though an Extremely highly paid compared to allot of people human, Yes he’s gonna make mistakes. The same can be said of Coach Monken. And the same can be said of Stetson. And NO he’s not above reproach or certainly shouldn’t be. But ( not saying you) the down right negative and Nasty comments that SOME on here make are waaay beyond typical objectivity and constructive criticism. And are Totally uncalled for. It’s then Bashing on our Coaches and Players. And it’s not a matter of having a right to bash. They do have that right. But You or Me and a multitude of other Dawgs fans here wouldn’t allow a Troll to come here and Bash on our Coaches and Players without calling them out for it. So just because some person is using a Dawgs nomenclature we should be just as zealous in calling Them out when they start Bashing on our Coaches and Players. A True Dawgs Fan can be critical and objective and very vocal about KS or Coach Monken or Stetson or any other Dawgs Player or Coach Without getting down right nasty. So Yes Kirby is Indeed human and there for apt to make mistakes. But he Also as a human deserves credit for when he makes Good decisions And when he over comes mistakes he’s made. The only time I’ve got a bone to pick with folks on here is when they go over board and depart the realm of simply being objective and critical and enter into bashing. They have the right. But I have a right to call them out on it and Id certainly Hope that you and other Dawgs fans would join me in calling them out when they resort to bashing. The man has coached his team to 25 wins out of the last 26 games played so Even though Yes he’s as a human made mistakes he’s managed to over come those mistakes to Win.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very thankful to be 11-0, but I know we CAN play a lot better. We won, that’s all that matters! Just keep grinding, Dawgs!

GO DAWGS!

WRECK TECH!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby has an All-Star Staff, right now. IMO

A lot of the fans on this website are just that, "Fans". And, that's okay. It's just that they don't know what they're talking about. So, don't take em too serious. LOL

Kirby is preparing for a long post-season. He's not the least bit interested in impressing anybody with STATS. They mean absolutely nothing if you miss the "Big Dance" like the VOLS are gonna do this year.

Heupel has been doing all year, what a lot of these fans want Kirby to do. He shot their entire wadd trying to impress the pollsters and the CFP Committee with big point differencials. Now, the VOLS will be comfortably in their seat, watching the Dawgs blow everybody out, the way they've been doing all season, huh, Coach Drink?

While Heupel was bathing in STAT praise (hype), good defensive coordinators have been putting together a database on their offense, and they've figured out how to stop it...or slow it down. If Clark Lea applies the lessons learned over the season, with regard to TENN's offense...VANDY could very well beat em, too.

On the other hand, Kirby is headed into the post-season, having given up very few of the many nuances in their offensive scheme. Not because he had to...but, because he wanted to. It's a strategic maneuver.

Heupel might want to borrow a page or two from "The Master", Kirby Smart and apply that "season strategy"...next year. You can win every battle by a mile and lose the war by an inch, huh Heupel.

I'd be willing to bet, that Kirby Smart and Coach "Drink"...and maybe even Lane Kiffin (group text), shared intelligence with Shane Beamer. Giving him the keys to Tennessee's offense. Payback for last week.

Lol...running up the score is another thing Smart doesn't believe in...but, I think there's more than one reason for that philosophy. It's part Sportsmanship...part strategy. I'm becoming more and more, impressed with CKS's intelligence.

Go Dawgs...sic em.

Are you getting "hot and bothered", that everyone doesn't agree with the question? Lol..Just asking. Because I don't think there's a problem. He did exactly what I expected him to do.

Smart and Monkin challenged the offensive line to "win" their battles in short yardage, 3rd and 4th down situations...against, probably the best defensive front 7 they're gonna face, in some pretty bad weather conditions.

Great preparation for what will be a challenging SECCG and Final 4. Last year,, they didn't do, what they're doing, now...leading up to the SECCG against BAMA. And...they wound up losing.

I was very impressed with the O-line's blocking, for the most part. McClendon had a rough game,, but,, he may have been hurt. Searels pulled him out of the game a couple of times. Frankly, I don't know of an offensive line on the planet Earth...NFL included...that could've moved the mass of bodies Kentucky threw at em on those 1 yard, 3rd and 4th downs.

On the plays in question, KTY had a minimum of 9 players in the box and two more piling on behind them. One or two guys were watching for the pass, which, never came. If Kirby was worried about the points, he would've gotten them. And...he...was...not. And, neither was I.

Like most of you...I know what the Dawgs have and they only used about 30%-40% of their weaponry...not because Kentucky didn't allow it...but, because Smart and Monkin didn't allow it.

All that beef Kentucky had on the LOS and you're asked to move two guys, 2 feet, because they KNOW you aren't gonna pass the ball and they're stacking the LOS. Talk about a challenge? Not much training value there, IMO. But, then...I'm not privy to Smart and Monkin's thought process in those situations. Which is what, I'm sure, led to the reporter's question regarding the 4th and goal.

I know for a fact, there was at least 3 Run plays that Bennett could've checked-out of and tossed easy TD passes...if he were allowed to do it. That's why I know Kirby's conservative "statement plays" were intentional and served a purpose, fans and reporters aren't privy to.

Alternate interview:

REP: Coach what was going through your mind in those "3rd and short" and "4th and short", attempts that failed?

CKS: None of your business, Son! We'll talk about it when I retire, write a book or work for Aflac. That's MY secret sauce. Lol

FYI...UGA is the first team to complete a back-to-back, undefeated SEC schedule...since BAMA did it in the '08 & '09 seasons.

I think they can beat that and make it 3 back-to-back, undefeated seasons. It's iffy, though. Next year, we won't have some key players off this team..including QB. Luckily, Kirby and Todd have had two fantastic QBs sitting on the back of the stove simmering and cooking em low and slow. I think both of those guys are waiting to make a mark on the UGA program.

It's almost like, the Dawgs are what the NE Patriots used to be. Bad luck in personnel selection slowed the Pats down some, just like it did BAMA...after Kirby left, I might point out.

That is Kirby's secret sauce...personnel evaluation. He is second to none at identifying winning traits and insisting that the players, his staff recruits, exhibit those attributes in their everyday life.

The NFL is watching UGA and it's players and coaches very close. So are College Coaches around the Country. Kirby's doing something, extremely successfully, that nobody else seems to be able to do....field a team that doesn't include TP players at any of the skill positions. All home grown and the envy of the league...hmmm.

Coach of the Year??? Sounds like it to me.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thank goodness that is our last sec road game, of the year. The SEC championship game likely will be the last sec game we have this year, as Tennessee was blown out and had their playoff dreams crushed.

• Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't question the decisions to go on those short yard situations, but the play calling bordered on the insane--doing the same thing over and over again....

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not a smart decision (no pun intended) to NOT get the 3 there and put the game away.

Coaches need to put their ego, pride and greed away sometimes.

It didn't matter if it was a 3 or 4 score game, Kentucky wasn't gonna be able to overcome that, but it was a possibility to score twice and convert two 2 point conversions. Then you look bad for not taking the points.

Just hope bad decisions like this don't come back to get us.

• Thomas77Thomas77 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree. Why go straight up the middle again and again, multiple times when Kentucky proved they were completely (and athletically) capable of stuffing the middle of the line, when there is so much open field available to easily get the first down or points. Get the points, run out the clock, tip your cap to the other team and then blow them away on the next play instead of firing up their defense (and their fans). Glad for the win, coach, you're the greatest. Go Dawgs!

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

When Bennett has no sense of urgency & appears lethargic, not only does his decision making & mechanics break down, the entire offense takes on that personality. I don’t question Kirby’s attempt to spark some life in these guys but I do question calling the same play over & over with a group that on crucial plays was not manning up & getting their butts whipped. It’s been a season long problem. Additionally, putting Carter in to block telegraphed the play & risked injury to the anchor of the defense. Since Carter’s return, the defense has reached the next level. He is the difference between a good vs. dominating defense. Why risk getting him injured on a play that has rarely worked!?

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Indeed it is his call to make even though us fans see that extra three point cushion as the nail in the coffin. While the running game looked great at times the passing game was running on 5 of 8 cylinders at most

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetson hesitates to run and he is a mid tier QB. When he is a threat to run, defenses play softer and it opens up the run and pass game options. I played football and the cold and wind can effect your performance. The other top 5 teams struggled worse than Georgia and we will retain our number one ranking. The final CFP rankings may be: 1. Ga 2. Ohio State 3. TCU and 4. Clemson or USC

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If we can’t agree on criticizing Kirby for the decision, can we at least recognize that Stacy Searels is not the answer as OL coach

• DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach Smart, you've shouted from the North Campus Bell Tower all week about Kentucky being the most physical team we play each year.....I GOT IT! The weather conditions were terrible, Kentucky was just as physical as you had warned us about, so when we were on the goal line with the ability to salt away the game, WHY would we not call a "SMART", no pun intended, play rather than a physical play....especially since our physical plays had worked previously??? How bout a RPO along the goal line with Darnell in the end zone to catch a high pass/ or SBIV run it to the marker....I loved the jet sweeps with Ladd or Brock???

All I've heard from my "HillBilly, **** snorten, Vol relatives/friends is how The Vols would wipe us out on a neutral field! Well, looks like the South Carolina Yard Birds put a resounding end to those pipe dreams....Ole Josh, needs to focus his recruiting efforts on a defence for next year, as we'll have the "gun slinger" QB in Beck and our Defence will be even better.

Thank You BigDawg 61 for being the voice of reason....I see your point, KS was never concerned that we would lose based on our defensive play and the best practice for adversity is real life.....Kentucky presented us the best physical front we'll see all year, thus the best practice we'll get all year. From my comments, anyone can see that I'm no coach, just a fan. I, along with other fans can certainly question our play calling/coaches but the fact remains.....I WOULDN'T TRADE THEM OR OUR DAWGS FOR ANY OTHER TEAM IN AMERICA!