Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Brian Kelly sizes up Georgia offense: ‘lethal’ tight ends, confident Stetson Bennett

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageBrian Kelly sizes up Georgia offense: ‘lethal’ tight ends, confident Stetson Bennett

ATHENS — It’s fair to say the Georgia football offense has sputtered of late, with quarterback Stetson Bennett not playing his best football of the season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the A game version of Stetson and the Offense show up ( and I think for This game they will) Yes they are very lethal. Can’t have the slow and sloppy starts we’ve seen though from here forward. But I honestly don’t think that will happen from here forward. Stetson and sometimes the entire O seem to play down for rivals deemed as inferior and up for rivals deemed as equal or possibly superior. I think ( sure Hope ) Stetson and the O will come in more like the OR and TN games. Go Dawgs !!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just looking at Stet's SEC stats above, he's not doing very well, especially compared to the entire FBS universe.

My question is: can Stet and the offense lead the team this season to a Championship like the defense did last season?

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have to believe SB has been somewhat hampered by his right shoulder.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The A game SB better show up. LSU has nothing to lose in this game. I would say our offenses are somewhat similar in the fact that both or us can run and both can pass it. Our advantage should be our defense. It has been all year!

• WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

RAT POISON!!!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

The tale of 2 SEC QB's.

1) 3341 total yards from scrimmage. 23 TD's . 6 INT's. 4 years of starting experience (now) at the college level.

2) 3203 total yards from scrimmage. 26 TD's. 9 INT's. 1 start and 58 pass attempts prior to the '22 season.

1) has an OC that many think walks on water. The best TE room in the country. Very good WR's. Moore OL.

2) has been ridiculed as "a TE playing QB", "terrible", etc. With poor OL and injured WR's. New O system/coaches.

1) Pushed as a Heisman "candidate".

2) Pushed as a "bust" at QB.

1) SBIV 2) AR15 Objectivity is not a word in many fans vocabulary.

We are ALL hoping that "good" SBIV shows up for the next 3 UGA games. Should certainly be interesting to watch how it all plays out.

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have no idea if Bowers is a capable passer, but were I Kelly, I wouldn't put the thought in our coaches minds, as Bowers has excelled at everything else he's be tasked to do. GO DAWGS!!!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ahhh..."Objectivity...good word. A word you don't seem to embrace with your "bullet point stew". You can't do a 1 to 1 comparison if you're using different criteria and data points between the 2 QBs. And you are.

I'm not going to attempt it myself. 2 completely different QB styles. Oh...what the hell...I'll give it a shot.

Bennett is a prolific passer in the short to intermediate range. He hasn't had many opportunities at the "long ball" due to few deep threat targets, though Monkin has been creative in providing occasional downfield targets. Uses his legs to extend plays or pick up yardage downfield, when things break down, often resulting in a 1st down or TD. Very poised and confident in his 3rd year as a starter/backup QB in Todd Monkin's Pro-style spread with air-raid principles. Completed his 2nd straight undefeated regular season.

Richardson, arguably the most gifted QB in College Football, has all the tools, but, doesn't know how to use all of them yet. Like a new-born Yearling standing on unsure legs, he needs seasoning and experience. He has to improve his "passing game" and "decision-making" before he will be considered a top QB pick.

Every NFL Team has been watching Richardson's development. Will he develop his passing game??? Can he improve his passing game??? Ultimately, that's up to him. You can't make a man do something, he doesn't want to do...or is incapable of doing.

Below is the current draft analysis (PFF) on Stetson Bennett.

""Currently we view Stetson as a solid NFL backup - but we are pretty confident he can carve out a nice career in the pros. Expect Stetson to be selected in the 5th to 7th rounds of the 2023 NFL Draft.""

That's the bottom line.. There's a lot more, both flattering and critical. But, that's pretty much the gist of every QB's breakdown.

Bennett has been mentioned for the Heisman...BUT,...nobody...and I mean "No Body" has "Pushed Bennett for Heisman". If they had...beginning last year...he would be in the top 2 or 3 in the conversation.

Does he deserve the Heisman??? I think, this year, Bennett deserves the Heisman Trophy as much as anybody, due to his "body-of-work". I haven't seen anybody run away with the award in years.

Last year, Young won it because of timing. He was fortunate to have the opportunity for late-game heroics against a persistent AUB team in the "Iron Bowl", not to mention, his surprising success in the SECCG...while all the other Heisman-hopefuls had bad games and were already fading in the conversation.

They're finding every reason for Bennett's success, but, the right ones....Heart, mental toughness and determination. The stuff, real winners and Football Players (apparently not Heisman winners) are made of. I'll take 1 of those, for every 5 primadonnas you sign. Lol

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO...When Stetson Bennett enters the draft...if he's taken in the later rounds by a team like, say, the Atlanta Falcons (Lol), they'll be getting a Tom Brady type steal.

The "Birds" are playing out of an offense that is almost identical to Todd Monkin's. I've noticed that several teams in the NFL are running out of the bunch TE set with stress on the short to intermediate passing game and running game.

Timing. Timing is everything. And, as with Tom Brady, Bennett is going pro at the perfect time for his game. We'll be seeing him play on Sundays...Mark my words!