Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Heisman finalist or not, Stetson Bennett celebrates leading Georgia football to SEC championship

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageHeisman finalist or not, Stetson Bennett celebrates leading Georgia football to SEC championship

ATLANTA — This time last year, Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett sat next to Kirby Smart and had to hear his head coach field questions about whether or not he should Bennett should be benched.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s see, the Mailman delivered in the last 3 big games and was named MVP in all of them. He shouldn’t just be a finalist for the Heisman…..he should win it. I’m glad the network showed the definition of the award and said Stetson was deserving. I know the Heisman usually goes to a “statistical” leader, but that’s not mentioned in the award description. I hope the judges read the rules this year. Go Dawgs and Bennett for Heisman!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do believe the score could have eclipsed 50 had UGA not gone into conservative mode. Bennett played as well as most Heisman contenders in my estimation. I have no idea how the selection committee will assess his performances as compared with the other top QBs? As far as team overall success...UGA is #1...and Stetson had a lot to do with that success.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know sometimes over the course of the season Dawgs fans have had times where they got frustrated with Stetson. I’m included in that. But for some context just think on this Ohio St. lost to Michigan. USC lost their Conference Championship. TCU lost their Conference Championship. Clemson lost what two I think regular season games. Michigan just scored but they were only up 14-13 over Purdue going into the half. SO all in all This Dawgs team has done Extremely Well. 13 straight wins. And Stetson Bennett with his good, bad, and in between has played a Large part in that Over All success. So he Should get invited to NY, but I doubt he will. But I also doubt he will care very much as long as the Dawgs keep winning !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson should win it but he won’t. There are waaaayyyy too many heisman voters. The votes should only come from former heisman winners and a very select few distinguished sports writers/reporters. I hear some people say they have a vote and I think most of them are a j o k e. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

I have criticized SB IV endlessly. I have never given him a bit of credit, attributing his success to the players around him and flaws in the teams that UGA played. I do not recant any of my criticisms. I believed that they were true at the time and still do.

That being said:

USC's Caleb Williams lost to Utah twice.

Ohio State's CJ Stroud lost to Michigan and "wasn't great" against Penn State or Notre Dame.

Michigan's Blake Corum is injured, and they beat Ohio State and won the Big 10 title game without him.

Max Duggan lost to Kansas State.

Hendon Hooker lost to UGA and South Carolina.

There is no statistically dominant RB this year.

There is no statistically dominant WR this year.

Now there is a guy that I would personally award the trophy to: Michael Penix. He is the NCAA passing leader for a 10-2 Washington Huskies team, their second best season since 2000 (their 12-2 season was their best). Sadly he got no Heisman hype because it was all wasted on the fraud Williams.

So, that leaves Stetson Bennett. His 3425 yards puts him at #10 in the NCAA in passing.

His 20 passing TDs achieves the minimum for consideration.

UGA is 13-0 and #1.

And UGA has no (other) statistically dominant players. No WR or RB with 800 yards. (Only McIntosh and Bowers have 700, and just barely). No one with 10 sacks, or even 5. The DB with the most INTs, Chris Smith, has 3.

So, of the guys actually being considered for the award - which again regrettably does not include Penix, who Mel Kiper now has rated ahead of Bryce Young as a draft prospect - Bennett IV is the most deserving. So, give him the award.

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Mailman should be in Heisman House commercials soon.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When you're the MVP in multiple games during which your team defeats teams with Heisman quarterbacks and/or Heisman contenders it might be time to think maybe you're a Heisman candidate.

In the SECCG Stetson put on a clinic. Part 1 was passing. Part 2 was ball handling, play calling, and game management. Stetson's first half passing clinic - rapidly finding and immediately hitting the first open receiver - was beautiful. Stetson executed a surprising first half game plan to perfection, following through in the second half to precisely meet his team's needs. His QB rating for the game should be through the roof.

On the other hand maybe Bryce Young should win again. Nick says he's playing practicing good again, finally. /s

Go, Dawgs!