Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia stock report: SEC title cause for celebration, Ohio State pairing cause for concern

SystemSystem Posts: 10,466 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia stock report: SEC title cause for celebration, Ohio State pairing cause for concern

ATHENS — Georgia football “checked the box” on Saturday and is ready for greater heights.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    keetl21keetl21 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

OSU is soft as a pillow, can stop the run and can't stop the pass, they've not played a defense like ours, I see a 45-17 game.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can live with our DB or saftey blanketing a receiver and both are looking for the ball and their guy makes a better play on it or if it's thrown in such a way as their guy is the only one to make the catch. But what I hate is when our guys are close to the receiver and their backs are to the ball and they have no idea where the ball even is. That's a interference call or a TD or long yardage pickup just waiting to happen. I know they aren't coached to not look for the ball.

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

The criteria for seeding teams 2 to 4 should be different than the criteria for determining who makes the playoff. "Who's in" and "who's #1" should have a lot more to do with what you earned on the field. But the matchups should be determined by odds. The #1 seed should get to play the team with the lowest chance of beating them, or the team that they would be most favored against.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennett's stock is up? Soaring....274 yds passing, 4 TDs. What is it you are looking for Mike?

Yes, my concern vs OSU? Passing defense. They are a passing nightmare for most opponents...except Michigan, who targeted Stroud. Mike's feature photo at the lead-in of this article I hope was to make a point? Ringo needs improvement. We know! This photos was in very poor taste. Mike, this is UGA's win...not LSU's. I have heard you say openly and I quote: " I am not a Georgia fan." This is a Georgia DawgNation site, Mike. We are not objective here.....we ARE Dawg fans. Very subjective. You feature an LSU TD when UGA just scored a major victory OVER THEM after several years of SECC drought. Come on,man. That photo should have been Smith on a 95-yd TD run! Your bias is out there alright. I have wanted to say this for some time.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Starks is inexperienced. He hasn't figured out that the better teams have better QB's. Guys that can thread the needle. He has cost UGA a few times this year going for (and missing ) INT's instead of breaking up the pass. CJ Stroud/OSU will be using that in their game plan. He will get some hard coaching from CKS this week. Not sold on the new DB's coach. He must've been hired for his recruiting.

KRingo is eating way too much rat poison. His technique is lazy and his focus is lacking. The good news for UGA? UGA has multiple guys waiting in the wings for next season that look to be better coverage guys than Ringo.

Hopefully having a 4 wk break will allow McClendon, McConkey, AD and any other players sufficient time to fully recover from any injuries.

The Mailman (The Rollercoaster?) had one of his best games. Glad he was "on" saturday. He showed improvement throwing the ball over the middle. But for a little context. SBIV's 4 TD passes were 3 yds, 3 yds, 14 yds and 22 yds.

Somebody wanted to compare SBIV to Justin Fields against Clemson in the "20-'21 PO semi. Fields had 6 TD's. 45, 56, 12, 9, 17, 8. In other words JF's had 2 TD's that each were farther than all 4 of SBIV's combined. Plus 4 more TD's. And most of that was with broken ribs. That should end that discussion.

Would love to see a breakdown of SBIV's completion stat's by 0-10 yds, 11-20 yds , 21-25 yds and over 25 yds like they do in the pro games. That would be a very interesting analysis. You can bet that OSU is looking at that analysis when they create the defensive game plan.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m very concerned………..for Ohio St. fans jumping off buildings when our Dawgs go into Benz Stadium and beat them like a drum !!! Go Dawgs !! I Believe !!!

• Options
    BackHomeBackHome Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

Doesn’t matter who we play. Play to win. They’re good? Great. We’ll see a good game. Lose? Tip your cap and get better. Beat ‘em, and let the Dawgs leave no doubt who owns the junkyard.

• Options

Ohio St. doesn’t play in the SEC. They had a Very tight game vs. the only other ( other than Michigan) good team in the Big Flop and that was Penn St. Then when they played Michigan they got curb stomped. People quickly bring up injuries to try to shore them up. So the Dawgs haven’t had injuries ?? Yeah right. But the Dawgs have won 13 straight games. And in the SEC at that !! And utterly curb stomped an OR team that turned out to be pretty decent in the very first game when things were totally unknown for Both teams. Yeah, Yeah, I’ve seen the slow starts and sloppy play. No, No, I don’t like those. But the other thing I saw 13 Straight Times was our Dawgs go on to Over Come the slow and sloppy times to WIN !! All the stats in the world won’t make a difference vs that W !! So When our Dawgs go on to Win Another Natty, the losers can sit around and say But, But we had better stats !! Some things can’t be measured in stats, That’s these Dawgs !! Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

I complete agree with you and I was thinking that about all of our backfield during the game. They're playing soft coverage in hopes of getting a pick but that just leads to them getting burned. I think when Kirby nips that **** in the bud we'll have much tighter coverage.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

I completely agree with you and was thinking that the whole game - They're playing soft coverage in hopes of getting an interception but it just results in them getting burned over and over.

KS and team will nip that in the bud and get it corrected by NYE.

• Options

If you go back and watch the vast majority of the sloppy plays and getting burned in the secondary happened After the Dawgs had got the score up. Not to say that didn’t happen some before as yes it did. But the worse damage occurred after the Dawgs got the score up. Why ?? I think that it was a two fold thing. 1) The DBs wanted to show boat in the SECCG by Trying and Missing to get INTs instead of batting the ball down. Yeah when it’s a Sure INT go for it !! But Only when it’s for Sure OR the whole game is resting on getting a turn over, like little time left on the clock and the rival has the ball. 2) The DBs GROSSLY underestimated the skill of the backup QB. Coming in I did to !! I figured they’d feast on him. My bad !! The DBs bad !! But and in closing if there’s Any CFB Coaches I’d want repairing these issues it’d be the combo of Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp and their indoctrinated assistants. I’m Confident they will fix these issues. You’ll see a Far Better Defense vs Ocryo St. than you did with LSwho. Watch and Enjoy !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GoodOlDawg

Kendall Milton vs Elijah Holyfield makes no sense. Elijah Holyfield was a 5'10" 210 lb RB who ran a 4.8 40. He wasn't going to get drafted no matter how long he stayed in school. Also, the only reason why Holyfield was even able to sign a UDFA deal was his rushing for 1000 yards. Had he stayed his senior year, his stats would have gone down, making getting even a good UDFA deal like the one he signed with Carolina unlikely.

As for Milton, no RB has rushed for 1000 yards for UGA since Todd Monken took over. Everything that Smart and Monken has indicated is that UGA has ditched the "feature back" thing and is instead making them interchangeable role players. So, no UGA RB is going to get drafted in the first 2 rounds, and they may not get drafted in the first 3. (Cook went in the last pick of the 2nd round last year because he was a 5 star brother of a guy who would be a Hall of Famer if he could stay healthy.) That means that it is in their best interests to jump to the NFL as soon as possible so they can be coached up as well-rounded RBs instead of just spot players in order to get their second contract. Why? Because NFL RBs are basically done by 28-30. So if you use up all of your eligibility and aren't a 1st round pick, you may not get another shot at a big deal. Zamir White, as a 4th round pick, is getting $1.1 million a year with a $750,000 signing bonus on a contract that will end when he is 27, meaning he will only get 1 more deal. Milton is 20, meaning that he can potentially squeeze 3 contracts out of his NFL career by leaving early.

RBs can't get into the first round by rushing for 500-800 yards. UGA's current offense doesn't allow them to get the # of carries or put up the stats needed to get drafted high. NFL scouts and GMs don't care how many national titles players win, unless it is about taking fliers on guys in the 7th round because they got good coaching. So yes, this is going to impact whether UGA RBs leave for the NFL as soon as they are eligible, and also whether blue chip RBs choose UGA in the first place.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20

I think you're Justin Fields-SB comparison needs more context, Fields had a little advantage throwing to 3 future 1st round NFL wide receivers and to a future NFL 3rd round TE and RB. Quite the offensive assortment on the field at the same time. No doubt BB and Washington will be top round TE's and KM will be a top 3 round pick too. SB just doesn't have the quality WR's Fields had. I like LM and AD but they aren't looking like 1st rounders. So, 3 - 1st round WR's for Fields to none for SB. Let SB throw in that system to those receivers and who knows.