Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,671 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NCMtnDawgNCMtnDawg Posts: 43 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sounds like he doesn't think they have a chance

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

He hasn't played all year anyway and they still have two 1,000+ WR's and a QB who are miles better than any on the LSU team which put up over 500 yards through the air on UGA.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't expect Smith-Njigba to play after all this time off. They've still got elite receivers that we are going to have to cover.

We didn't get enough pressure and disruption on LSU's Daniels, and for the most part, he stood back there and completed plenty of passes. And so did Nussmeier when he came in. We won't survive the night against a guy like Stroud if we don't seriously disrupt him, sack him, and cause havoc. And I don't know where our secondary went after playing so well against TN (and in man coverage), but we don't seem to play zone well at all. SO, we've got to have both disruptive pass pressure and adequate coverage in the secondary. That's how we dominated Bama last year in the Championship game. Our defense smothered Bryce Young.

Again, the line of scrimmage will probably be the deciding factor.

• Options
    DogcoachDogcoach Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    DogcoachDogcoach Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

We now represent all of the SEC in the playoffs. An awesome responsibility!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

And that ends Ohio State's chances. Yes Marvin Harrison Jr. and Emeka Egbuka are very good players with NFL futures but - as the Notre Dame and Michigan games demonstrated - their offense needs a third guy. It won't be C.J. Stroud as he isn't a dual threat like Justin Fields ... he has only 75 yards (0 TDs) at 2 ypc. Plus Ohio State's RBs won't do much even if Williams, Henderson and Hayden are healthy. And bizarrely for a spread passing team, OSU doesn't use their RBs or TEs in the passing game the way that UGA does (former LB Cade Stover has 400 yards receiving, but isn't someone that UGA is going to have to scheme or dedicate resources to cover).

Yes, Ohio State will score. But - unlike last year - we can confidently say that UGA will score too. Ohio State does have better athletes on their defense than Oregon, LSU and Tennessee. But this isn't - for example - a defense from their Jim Tressel era that defeated a loaded Miami Hurricanes team and had 10 year NFL starters at every position - DE, DT, LB, safety, CB - like an SEC team.

Mind you ... Ohio State would have had a tough time beating UGA even WITH Smith-Njiba. It would have required either Ohio State playing their best game of the year or the UGA that showed up at Missouri rearing its **** head. Without him? No chance. Ohio State is a spread team. They don't have the personnel or mentality to just line up against UGA and pound them with their running game. Their only shot is to spread out UGA's defense with the pass and you can't do that with just 2 guys. UGA will be able to mostly stay in their base defense, and will also be able to mix up coverages and blitzes on key plays.

So, start planning the parade you UGA fans! This is era of UGA so revel in it.

• Options
    edited December 2022

Mistaken post that I did not make on purpose. So I will just edit to say congrats UGA.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Success = Taking CJ Stroud out of the game's equation. Neutralize him. Michigan did to some extent. Eliminate the RPO as best you can. OSU has pretty good WRs. Their defense can be beaten as Michigan showed us...putting up over 40 pts. OSU is definitely beatable...as UGA will demonstrate Dec 31.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And why is this a story? Entered 3 gams and 5 receptions, Wasted space but I got **** in and am responding.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I won't lie and say that I'm sad about this news. I wouldn't mind if they lost another offensive starter or two. Not sure if what @thadec said about Stroud's rushing numbers is true but if so, hopefully our defense can find a way to contain him. No matter what or who plays for OSU, though, our defense is going to have to play light years better than it did Saturday. And I, for one, am not just buying the old, "Kirby will fix this," as if it's just automatically going to happen. I'm not worried that Kirby and the coaches CAN fix it. I know they can. My concern is how in the world did it happen in the first place. You don't "accidentally" give up more than 500 yards of offense, including more than 500 in the air, and against a back-up QB at that.

• Options

@UGA66

CJ Stroud isn't much of an RPO guy. While Ohio State does some RPO, like the late Dwayne Haskins that started Ohio State's current run of great QBs under Ryan Day, Stroud is merely a passer, not a dual threat like Bryce Young, Jayden Daniels, Max Duggan or Caleb Williams. So the "run" portion of the RPO is whether to handoff to the RB or throw, not the QB keeper. So because the defense will only have to defend two options, OSU shouldn't even bother with the RPO against a fast defense like UGA. They should do more to get their running game going i.e. formations with both their tailbacks and their TE.

• Options

It is a story because had he been healthy, Smith-Njiba would have been the best offensive player on the field for either team. And with three first round picks at WR on the field, Ohio State would have finally been able to run their actual offense, which they haven't been able to all season.

With Smith-Njiba, Ohio State actually has a shot at beating Georgia. I guess were Ohio State and UGA to play 10 times, Ohio State would win 4. Or maybe 3. Or something in between. Without Smith-Njiba then 10-2 Alabama is more likely to beat UGA than Ohio State.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure I would ignore preparing for this WR based on what the OSU coaching staff says. As the game approaches and he feels good he may want to play.