Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Coaches make Stetson Bennett a second-team All-SEC pick, key Georgia players overlooked

SystemSystem Posts: 10,712 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageCoaches make Stetson Bennett a second-team All-SEC pick, key Georgia players overlooked

ATHENS — SEC Coaches saw fit to make five Georgia players first-team all-conference picks and designate Heisman Trophy finalist Stetson Bennett as a second-team selection.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The oversight might just be motivation, shoulder-chip-wise.

Thorson didn't get enuff punts to get recognition. Teehee.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

McIntosh was 13th in the SEC in rushing yards. You cannot become an All-Conference RB by rushing for 55 yards a game. That I would even have to say such a thing at UGA, which used to be one of the programs called "tailback U", is amazing.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for making Stetson a better player. Don’t give up now, we got 2 more games to go.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Heisman finalist and second team all-conference. Yeah, that seems like a pretty fitting cap to Bennett's time at Georgia.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody that knows anything about football...the SEC, in particular...knows that you don't judge a RB by YPG anymore. Especially with so many SEC teams holding 2 or 3 quality backs, they rotate.

You use YPC and YAC...as well as receptions and reception yards. And, if you really know what you're doing...you grade their blocking and ball handling skills. There is other criteria, besides what I mentioned above. IMO, It's rather simplistic, to boil it down to YPG.

Yards per game is useless in analyzing RBs in today's game. You can feed a RB the ball 40 times in a game and your guy might pick up 200 yds...or, you can feed a RB the ball in 3 different ways (i.e., 15 Carries, 2 Catches, 3 Wildcats) and HE might pick up 200 All-Purpose (AP) yds. Is the first guy better?

The 1st guy averaged 5 yards/touch. The 2nd guy averaged 10 yards/touch. But...they both had 200 yards.

Do you believe Gibbs is a better AP Back than McIntosh? Based on what you saw, over the season...assuming you watched BAMA's games. I don't buy it. He's a good little back, when he's able to find a lane. But, he's no bruiser. He can't do both...and K-Mac can.

• Options

Lol...the season ain't over yet. Gotta keep your head down and stay focused. We're Fans...that's our job! 🤪

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Good to see the recognition for our Dawgs. But, yes some were perhaps overlooked. McIntosh is a true all-purpose back and definitely a key to our success this year. The problem for individual recognition is that we have multiple very good backs, all contributing and all getting yards. During the SECCG they even mentioned the 3 backs over 500 yards rushing now. That's a 3 headed monster!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To be a Dawg under CKS's leadership is to be a team player. You have to buy in to something greater than one's self. Yet look at the results, you may not have the greatest individual stats but your worth is rewarded by being an NFL draft choice.

Gotta love CKS and these Dawgs....

• Options

Exactly, man..well said.

Go get em Big Red. All you boys are #1 in my book.

• Options

You know...I've often compared Kirby's Program to an NFL Franchise. Saban, too. And, like Belichick, Saban's Karate is no longer strong. But, don't count Him out. I expect he will transition his offense to more closely emulate the Dawgs (and various NFL offenses). They emphasize the running and "short to intermediate" passing game.

In other words...control the line of scrimmage. The edge game is old news. Defenses are now, big & athletic enough to defend the perimeter without giving up the middle.

But, lately...I've been wondering...if UGA played the Falcons 10 times, in a year, how many games would Atlanta actually win? Lol...I know that the Dawgs would have the better QB and Receiving group. And, possibly a better Offensive Line.

Defense?....Fuggidaboudit. Lol...Dawgs win 7 out of 10.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally agree. And it's great that12 Dawgs were honored despite the tendency for Georgia players to share statistics.

That said, I'm dumbfounded that Broderick Jones didn't make the first team, much less the second (AP had him on the first team). And find it hard to belief that there were six linebackers who had a better year than Dumas-Johnson.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great post! Agree 1000%!

And this would be so in spite of what Mel “stats are everything” Kiper thinks!!

Remind me…..what did he say about Travon Walker and how low did he pick him to go!?