Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Purdue football could prioritize Todd Monken in head coaching search

SystemSystem Posts: 10,457 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imagePurdue football could prioritize Todd Monken in head coaching search

ATHENS — Does Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken want to be a collegiate head coach once again?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

Give Monken 4Mil to stay or whatever it takes. Of course he might want to be a head coach, but at Purdue

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's really a no lose situation for Monken if he decides to bolt. You're guaranteed multi- millions of dollars over 5-6 years. If you fail(get fired), you can always go back and be the offensive co-ordinator for some major program, you've already proven yourself, plus your old team is still on the hook for the rest of the buy out.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My hope is that Monken stays with Georgia - he has a real knack for creative play calling and getting the most out of his QBs. The turnaround this dawg offense has had over the past 3 years is nothing short of remarkable. But let's say for a moment that he decides to leave to be a HC - who in the college football world would be a good replacement? Who would take what Monken has built and continue to improve the offensive side of the ball? Inquirying minds wanna know...GO DAWGS!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Monken moves on, I am concerned that a move to Bobo is almost too simple. We’ve seen his offenses (both at Georgia and elsewhere). He’s has some success, but not sure it translates to the current team.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dude, if I could vote that up 100xs I would. I’ve been a UGA fan for quite sometime and I remember a few regrets at OC. When was the last time we were truly satisfied with an OC?

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jdatl3

If by "toast" you mean ACC champs, 11-2 and one play away from the playoffs. You do realize that Clemson was worse last year - 3 losses and second place in their division - when they still had the OC and DC that you presumably are referring to?

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Clemson lost to South Carolina. They will only get worse until Dabo finds that magic mix again. How long will it take?

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Bryan McClendon doesn't become the OC, he should be the next assistant out the door. Recall that he left a co-offensive coordinator position at Miami to return to UGA, plus he was OC for 4 years at South Carolina. If McClendon doesn't get promoted to OC now, he will see that as Smart and UGA only see him as "position coach for life" with no chance for advancement. It is already too late for McGee to become an OC or HC unless he goes to a smaller school. Rodney Garner was in a similar situation with Mark Richt's staff ... always took the small pay bumps and the titles, but in truth never advanced beyond DL coach and recruiter, where he remained his entire career.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken is in a good place..he can leave and reap the benefits or stay and do likewise. We all knew this was coming...if in fact Purdue does offer soon. If not Purdue....there will be others. The way of football coaching.

• Options
    DeezeDAWGSDeezeDAWGS Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

If Monken leaves UGA for Purdue, would he be "....Landing on 3rd base"? To use the man's own words would only smack the ball back to the UGA Admin. side of the court, and I should actually say "Lob" the ball back to their side of the court. The guy's worth $5 mil just for his Lou Holtz impression alone... And oh BTW, to UGA, chocolate chip cookies are available all over the WHOLE country if you want 'em.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think TM wants all the headaches that go along with being a HC these days. He's got a pretty good gig right now, has other coaches and assistants doing most of the leg work, and he, and CKS close the deal. Not to mention, Athens is as good as it gets for a college town.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think Monken wants to have to recruit. 56 seems old to have to start that.

Pay the man to keep him happy calling plays, and let Kirby kill it on the recruiting trail. And the fact that I think Monken loves Athens.

Pitt Boss has done a good job at Arkansas, but I think it's going to get a lot harder. Jefferson staying helps, but who they're losing hurts more.

Arkansas was the only job Sam would have left UGA for.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Please don't go!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Monken will stay. He's the highest paid OC in CFB and he won't be able to find an easier gig than what he has at UGA.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On the other hand, Monken may want to stay and work with Beck and other UGA QB's that have greater arm talent than SB. See if he can take it to the next level? Like 50 points per game average. Then he would get the recognition as greatest OC in College FB.

Before anyone starts down voting me. I'm glad SB is our starting QB, he brings a certain thing you can't really quantify on paper, that more than makes up for arm talent alone. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, proving all the nay sayers wrong. He's that guy. It's no secret he was told he would never start at UGA. He has overcome even his own coaches evaluation of him. That said, I believe there is better arm talent for next year on the bench that Monken is licking his chops over to work with. Whether whoever QB's will be the winner SB is, is another question.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go Away Purdue !!! Leave Our Coach alone !! Hope he stays !!

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ Junior

Purdue? Maybe they ought to call Jim Chaney... Leave our staff alone, PULEEZE!

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior