Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Purdue football could prioritize Todd Monken in head coaching search

2»

Comments

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why wouldn't they want to hire him. If anybody can make SB4 look that decent they deserve a head coaching opportunity at a Power 5 school

• Options
    DawgCity85DawgCity85 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

No mention of Buster Faulkner as a possible replacement at OC if Monk leaves? He has previous OC experience and seems to be an intricate part of SBIV success at QB given that Bennett thanked CBF first at his walk on award ceremony with no mention to CKS or Monk.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

That's why they call it "prospecting"....if you're going to go to the trouble, expense, and transition to take a risk at fleeting success, I suspect that a man as intelligent and as experienced as TM is going to stake his claim where there are the BEST prospects....given Purdue vs Georgia, UGA wins as there is no contest when comparing prospects on hand and probable prospects coming in. A man's toughest competition iis always himself....how much is he willing to push himself to become the best, even when he is already the best.

There are plenty of examples of GREAT QB's but without GREAT receivers, RB's, TE's, and especially OL's....that GREAT QB is nothing more than a sack target on a losing team.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Monken could have been gone. Was he hoping for a better place to go to? Maybe. Purdue? I mean I don't think so. Ohio St maybe, Clemson maybe, another mid-to-upper program like a Tenn, A & M, UCLA even. I mean Purdue is OK, but usually just a flash here and there like Southern Miss. I could be wrong but I certainly do not see it. I disagree with Griffith on this one. He can do better, than Purdue. IF HE WANTED.

Monk does not want the 365 recruiting and all of the traveling, especially all of the travelling. So, Purdue? Thanks but no thanks IMO. And maybe pretty much every college HC job in America. He could have easily been a college HC before the UGA OC job.

He rarely goes on recruiting trips for UGA NOW and THAT IS WHY he is STILL at UGA. 100% why. That is their deal. Monken will stay at UGA and run an awesome offense like Kirby wants and needs and get paid extremely well to do it and Monk only has to go on a few recruiting trips. Or Monk would have been gone.

Monk knows that is what it takes to be in the top programs and thats just not him. Like Luke. Monk would have to have assistants do most all of it for him. Unless Purdue was cool with him just running a prolific offense and not going on many recruiting trips.

If Kirby wasn't cool with their deal then instead, Monk would be in the NFL, or somewhere chillin' with Dan Mullen IMO, while Kirby is criss-crossing the globe eating their lunch.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it was Mullin the other night who said that they had just finished up some tiring stretch when he was an assistant with BAMA and he said, Saban went out recruiting at some recruits home instead of going home and resting and he could tell that Saban was enjoying every moment of it. He loves the grind. Kirby does too. Not sure Monk would.

• Options
    IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

got tons of talent coming in , the freshman the he had a part in recruiting will show out next year ,, stay ,, its all wrapped with a bow tie for ya todd ,, lol

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How often does a Coach get the opportunity to 3-peat, and put on 3 rings in 3 years.

He ain't goin' nowhere. Lol. 3 Natty's in 3 years would be historic. I'm sure there are some players considering, coming back, for that.