Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia Tech hires Georgia analyst Buster Faulkner to be next offensive coordinator

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia Tech hires Georgia analyst Buster Faulkner to be next offensive coordinator

Stetson Bennett spoke glowingly about the role Buster Faulkner played in his development this weekend at the Heisman Trophy ceremony. But Bennett’s possible replacement won’t get the chance to work with Faulkner.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ugh, I was hoping we could keep him forever.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson talks him up and Tech grabs him. Makes sense to me. UGA lost a very good analyst...now OC at Tech. Big move. Wish him well.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JUst doing a cursory look around on the internet about coaching possibles at Purdue, it doesn't appear that CTM is in the 1st group of possibles mentioned. Of course stranger things could happen. I think we're good! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Well, now, that just sux......😕

Great move for him, but the players seemed to really like the guy and with him, Bobo and Monken, we had quite the offensive brain trust!

Really hate to lose him.......

The article doesn't really say, unless I missed it, but is he staying through the final two games or is he moving on immediately?

My guess would be the latter......

Go Dawgs! Why wait?....Hate Tech early!

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Smart move, wish him the best, better pay TM or im sure Bobo is doing his thing.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Guys, we're going to lose assistant coaches if we're any good at all. That just comes with success as teams like Bama deal with this kind of revolving door of coaches almost every year. Yet, they still remain in the elite pool of teams.

You may not like it, but you'd better just get used to it.

Good luck to Buster....I think Tech might actually post a winning record next season. Will wonders never cease!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

ouch, this stings, but I wish Buster all the best. If we also lost Monken, then this would be a huge issue because Buster was our in house replacement

• Options
    HowboutthemdawgsNC22HowboutthemdawgsNC22 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I’m just wondering if CTM leaves and we offer Buster the OC position would he drop tech and come back to us.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike Bobo or Brian McClendon are UGA's in house replacements for TMonken. Both have OC and HC experience.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sheesh. We were just reading about how important he was for SBIV's development...

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I... don't know about Bobo as an actual coordinator. I'm not sure we want to go down that road again. Analyst is one thing, but, in the stands, if we're having a particularly slow day offensively, you'll still hear people yell "Fire BOBO" as a joke.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MontanaDawg is right. You actually want to be the program that is constantly losing coordinators and top position coaches to other schools.

But what this shows is that Georgia Tech may be getting past the mickey mouse nonsense in hiring an alum who spent time on Saban's staff instead of the usual ... they were going to hire the Tulane coach until there was a booster backlash, and the previous hires came from the college football powerhouses Temple and Navy. Prior to that was Chan Gailey, who was actually a good hire but he was run off by the folks who prefer mickey mouse football (Gailey was trying to do at Tech what Jim Harbaugh did at Stanford, but the Tech faithful actually preferred the gimmick stuff as "exciting"). And prior to Gailey was George O'Leary, who saw Tech as a stepping stone job so never bothered to actually recruit or build a staff.

Looks like Tech is sick of getting hammered by UGA and Clemson and actually wants to compete. One good indicator: Brent Key agreed to a lower salary in return for a larger pool to pay assistant coaches. That is likely why they had the money to lure Faulkner.

• Options
    Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

shrugs

I can't say "best of luck" to him, since he's going to a team we play every year, but I don't have anything approaching animosity to offer. I don't much care. I'm pretty sure Bobo coming in gave Faulkner the incentive to take a job elsewhere, seeing as how he was no longer the heir apparent to Monken. The question now is, who will Kirby bring in as the new analyst? Could be, should be interesting.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly. Agree fully. And I echo your question will he leave right away or stay for the next TWO games ?? Also ( Please No !!!) should Purdue lure Monken away think He would stay to see the last TWO games through ?? Like some have said it’s all the product of success. Have to take the bad with the good I suppose.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sure hate to lose Buster. He has in depth experience outside of his time with Monken with the air raid offensive scheme. He also has OC experience. Can’t blame Buster for improving his lifestyle and trying to progress his career. He wasn’t making much at all at Georgia in comparison to the field coaches. Losing him is a huge security loss but as has been stated, with the programs success, your coaches are the targets that everybody wants.

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh, I hate to see Buster Faulkner leave, but who wouldn’t take a promotion and a significant increase in pay? I hate to say this, but with Faulkner now at Georgia Tech, it makes perfect sense for Brock Vandagriff to transfer right over there. At Georgia Tech, Brock will start immediately, he certainly knows Buster Faulkner and Georgia is his home state. Just saying…

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

Good things come to those who are patient....I'm thinking, Mock will not be the OC/QB coach forever. Why would you jump ship to a perennial loser with a lack of talent when you could bide your time, continue learning from the master, and be the aire apparent to the Bulldawg budding dynasty? But of course, it's Buster's decision and I wish him well either way. Note: I don't think Bobo needs the money or wants the stress of the OC position....been there, done that....B Mac has HC written all over him and I look for him to go to a needy power 5 school within the next few years.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Personally, I would be shocked if Monken left for Purdue, or most any other college HC job. He has got a gravy job at UGA with not having to go out on all of the recruiting trips. It would seem it would have to be the perfect college job and I do not recall calling Purdue anything close to that ever.

He has it just like he wants it at UGA. Run the offense, get paid very well, no hectic recruiting schedule, as far as traveling like the other coaches.

The NFL is where I would think he would go back to before being a college HC. I could be very wrong, but I might be right. Or crazy. Or right and still crazy...

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

Just leaving my opinion here, but I’ve noticed one or two comments suggesting Mike Bobo making his way back into the OC room if Monken to Purdue rumors happen to come to fruition.

Look, if Monken takes that opportunity, then good for him. I would be extremely disappointed at our loss of, IMO, our best OC since Mark Richt was calling plays prior to the tragic decision of turning it over to Bobo in 2007. But to those suggesting Bobo as a fallback OC, I couldn’t be more against that hypothetical possibility.

Oh what a short memory some may have. Remember 1st and 5tupid in Columbia with the best RB in our backfield since Herschel Walker was roaming the sidelines? Bobo was a disaster as OC for years because, despite overall good numbers as far as points, his situational decisions, halftime adjustments and lack thereof, as well as tactical decisions were historically negative and he always had a game or two every season where he’d try and outsmart himself and it turned disastrous for the Dawgs on the field. There is a reason that the AD forced Richt’s hand in politely showing Bobo the door and he left for CSU. And that wasn’t a secret, BTW. And how did things turn out at CSU? Yikes.

Anyone suggesting Bobo is like suggesting Coach Smart bring in Willie Martinez to replace DC Dan Lanning at the end of last season.

No way, no how.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The fact that Buster is going to Tech should be all we need to know about Monken leaving or not. Surely, if CTM was leaning towards leaving Buster would want to be in the mix at UGA.