Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a Bouie fan. Leave him in the portal, yes. Just my opinion . The best to Bill Norton as he seeks greener playing fields.

I think Carson B will get the nod next season unless Brock puts on a Super Man cape at some point during spring. I still do not have a firm handle on Gunner S. "Many" say he is really good...pitcher's arm and very mobile...UGA needs a solid RPO QB. All three are capable. Great place to be. They all need reps, reps, reps. ..and game time.... 2023 is going to be very interesting with Stetson totally out of the QB picture.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some might protest "too soon" but I will say it ... Todd Monken was a very successful head coach at Southern Miss. That and his SEC ties makes him a logical candidate for the Mississippi State job.

• Options

@UGA66

No, UGA doesn't need a solid RPO QB, or the RPO at all. The RPO is a spread thing. It is a subset of the zone read spread option offenses that were all the rage in the 2000s, but as you should note have since fallen out of favor. When the better QBs from those college offenses went to the NFL, NFL coaches took advantage of the rules changes to incorporate the RPO to ease their transition to the pro game. Then college air raid and pro-style spread teams saw that it was working in the NFL and it to their own offenses in response to opposing defenses figuring out how to stop their passing games. But defenses have also caught up to the "passing spread with RPO" thing too. It is a reason why statistics and scoring were down this year.

As UGA is running a pro style offense and has a ton of talent to do it with, they shouldn't bother with the RPO. It exposes QBs to hits (remember Texas QB Colt McCoy in the national title game against Alabama?) and using it can be a crutch that prevents you from developing a truly special pro style offense around well-rounded QBs and RBs. It would be horrible if the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady - for example - never played for UGA because they couldn't run the RPO. And at RB, the RPO favors scatbacks and third down backs: complementary players. Not true every down tailbacks like Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Todd Gurley, Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs, Najee Harris and Mark Ingram.

And as I mentioned, defenses are catching up with it anyway. Utah was able to stop USC's RPO game with a bunch of guys on defense that for the most part won't be drafted. Sure, a big part of it was USC's players not getting the whole "football is a team sport, not individuals hot-dogging for draft position and NIL deals" but it was still lesser athletes making plays against better ones because they were able to read what the offense was doing and shut it down. So no, UGA shouldn't do what was all the rage for Clemson in 2016 because it isn't 2016 anymore and won't work as well. Instead, UGA should go all in on running the pro-style offenses that Bama did with Jake Coker and Mac Jones in 2015 and 2020. As Beck is a much better athlete than Coker and is taller with a stronger arm than Jones, it should work even better.

• Options
    DefinsDefins Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

So we offer a WR from MS State? Didn't Coach Leach take away their chairs and say they have hands like T-Rex? We must be really hurting at WR.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hunter looks like they don’t have a weight room at Jackson State. He was easily blocked off the ball when playing corner. He should focus on WR.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Too late for Hunter. He now comes from a system steeped in "me first" thanks to Deion (the biggest Me First guy you'll find) Sanders. Sander is the opposite of CKS. CKS is Team First. Not sure after a year at JSU if Hunter is any better than Everette, Singletary or Humphrey. Pass. Would rather keep the guys already in the program.

Wasn't Hunter (and Deion?) all about raising awareness for HBCU schools? I guess that lasted one year until something better came along for them. Not only is Deion leaving JSU he is taking all of the best players he recruited with him. Basically he is gutting the program.

I give Deion 2-3 years as the Flavor of the Month then he'll be off to FL St or ? He will win as long as his players are better than the other team. Eventually he'll be exposed. His ultimate goal has to be the NFL. It will be interesting to watch the rise and probably fall.

• Options
    edited December 2022

@UGADad20

Yeah, Sanders totally should have remained loyal to one of the worst franchises in the sports - the Smith era Falcons - instead of winning Super Bowls with the 49ers and Cowboys. Sanders wasn't the first to escape that dysfunction junction as quickly as he could and he certainly wasn't the last.

CKS is team first? Yeah, tell that to Alabama. Guys like you are hilarious. You don't criticize the coaches for leaving for better jobs whenever they get the chance but you are criticizing the players when they do it. Lots of people speculate that the reason for this is one group is mostly black while the others are mostly white.

But we have still more evidence! You are criticizing Sanders for going from an FCS school to a major program. This literally happens all the time. Let's hear you bash Luke Fickell for leaving Cincinnati - who gave him a shot after Ohio State fired him - for Wisconsin.

Taking his best players with him? Wait ... you mean like how CKS took Jake Fromm and several other committed recruits from Alabama to UGA? (Alabama fans have not forgiven or forgotten this.) Or you mean how Lincoln Riley took half the Oklahoma team with him to USC? Amazing how some people get to do things and remain free of criticism while others don't. Funny how that works.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Travis Hunter was sold a bill of goods and needs to get out of JSU and away from Sanders. Watching the bowl this weekend, there were, at best, 4 FBS level players. And that included both QB’s who seem to be playing out of position. Hunter does not seem to have developed as a CB. Further, he does not seem to have developed physically. His future is a receiver and even then is a work in progress. I really hope the young man makes a better decision this time around and signs with a program that can prepare him for the next level.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think I’m about tired of hearing about Jackson State. Now that Deion is gone I’d imagine it will get back to normal.

And very disappointed in the Arik Gilbert story. I have no idea what was going on and it is none of my business but I wonder about his transferring. Was it him or was it Kirby keeping him out. We won’t know the full story but it is interesting that he is transferring to another school so he can actually play.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

I can guarantee you it was NOT Kirby keeping him out. Don't be disappointed, just hope Arik turns out OK.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thadec is a I think a Bama troll or just a troll in general he loves to come here and try to divide true Dawgs fans against each other, create disharmony, etc. Seems he has amnesia that UGA was after Kirby VERY HARD to come be the DC but Kirby turned it down flat. Then Yeah later when he was offered HC for Good $$& at his alma mater Of Course he took it. As well he should. You made Excellent points about Neon Deion and you kneed thadec in the groin in the process that’s why he got bent out of shape. Don’t you know that thadec fancies himself as being the Guru of All Guru’s of College Football Lol ?? He’s a legend in his own mind Lol !! 😂

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

Raise your hand if you truly thought Travis Hunter was not going to Colorado! Wait only one hand in the very back of the classroom, who is that, looks like, ah yes…Brandon Adams, lol! But we all knew this was going to happen!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fires in the Iron? Conner, are you AND the editor have a bout of dyslexia? Do you mean "Irons in the fire?" 🤣🤣

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think Hunter is afraid of the competition. He wants to be a big fish in a little pond.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He had better bulk up fast as no pro team will take a small as hel* DB.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There's a penalty for playing against weak competition. NFL won't put you in the 1st round - but we'll see.