Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Florida football decline continues, Gators avoid shutout with last-minute field goal in 30-3 loss

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageFlorida football decline continues, Gators avoid shutout with last-minute field goal in 30-3 loss

Florida finished the season in a tailspin on Saturday, dropping its third-straight game by a 30-3 count against Oregon State.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SufferinginAtlantaSufferinginAtlanta Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    SufferinginAtlantaSufferinginAtlanta Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

The ball was at the 22. If Florida was inside the ten they probably would have gone for a TD.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From a head coach’s perspective, Florida and Auburn have become the two best jobs in college football. Get paid millions to come to campus and coach a few years, then an unparalleled retirement plan…after three or four years, get millions to leave!

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was the only right call he made all game.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well I guess the 436 consecutive streak means that much to the University or maybe Billy didn't want to be THAT Guy! On a evening when the Gators were completely dominated, I guess coach wanted a little bit of a morale victory by saving that non shutout streak.

I heard my friend and 12 million dollar Gator donner Hugh Hathcock has instructed AD Scott Strickland to enter the Gators in to the transfer portal and he has offered an NIL payment to the Sunbelt Conference to pick up the Gators.

I Understand Commissioner Sanky has told Strickland to expedite the request paperwork.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

I really couldn’t care less either way.

Oh how far the Gaytor fans have fallen since the mid 1990’s and the late 2000’s where every Florida fan you encountered acted like college football originated in 1991.

Not a peep from the 1d1ots that used to brag about 17 out of 21 or 19 out of 23…

I warned them back then and it came to fruition just as I predicted.

So they can keep on wearing their jorts and I’ll keep on rooting for the best darn football team in the SEC, my DAWGS!

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Napier's contract has a bonus for not breaking the conceptive win streak. LOL!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The headlines tomorrow in the Gainesville (Florida) newspaper will likely say, “Gators overwhelm Oregon State in the final 37 seconds and win the last half minute 3-0”. Go Lizards!!! 🦎

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

I read they’re putting together a good recruiting class. I don’t see how.

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Congratulations to the gators for their continued streak without a shutout. This is a remarkable achievement and cause for celebration in the streets of Gainesville.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ShoottheHooch

Fundamentally, the issue is that Florida hasn't hired a good coach since Spurrier.

1. The Florida people correctly came to the conclusion that Spurrier underachieved - only one title - because he couldn't match Bobby Bowden, Phil Fulmer and Mack Brown as recruiters. So they replaced him with Ron Zook, one of the nation's best recruiters but couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. Fail.
    2. They then decided to replace him with a (reputed) outstanding X's and O's guy in Urban Meyer. Problem: Urban Meyer was inexperienced. When SEC defensive coordinators figured out his offense - and when Dan Mullen left - he had no act two. Also, Meyer had come up the ranks really fast - 2 years at Bowling Green, 2 years at Utah - so he had never built and sustained his own program before. So after 2 titles in 4 years using a combination of his and Zook's players, things fell apart. Fail.
    3. Florida correctly decided to go with an experienced defensive assistant with long SEC ties, and to ditch the spread in favor of a pro style offense. So, hiring Will Muschamp was actually a great idea on paper. The problem was that not allowing him to hire his own offensive coordinator - and hiring Charlie Weis, who split after one season - sabotaged any prospects of success. Not entirely Muschamp's fault, who was tasked with running a pro style offense with spread personnel with 3 different coordinators in 3 years, but still: fail.
    4. Florida next correctly decided to go with a Saban assistant. Sadly, they chose the wrong one. Thinking: Saban was the real brains behind the defense so hire the OC. But Saban and Smart were doing the heavy lifting of recruiting, building and running a program and Jim McElwain was just an Xs and Os guy on offense because that was all that was needed. Also, if the foundation of the program is defense and recruiting in the first place, why hire the guy who has nothing to do with that? So, they passed up the chance to hire who would have at minimum been "Saban Jr." in favor of the guy who contributed the least to Bama's success. Who turned out to a mediocre recruiter that hired a bad staff. Fail.
    5. Then they decide "hey maybe the Urban Meyer era wasn't so bad after all" so they brought back Meyer's OC. Problem: the Meyer era was bad. Also, they hired the main guy from Meyer's staff that was the least interested in - let's say it again - recruiting and building an all-star staff like Meyer and even Spurrier did in Dan Mullen. Fail.

So, last year. Florida had the shot to hire Mark Stoops, proven ability to recruit and run a program from Kentucky. They had the shot to hire Brian Kelly, proven ability to do the same at Notre Dame. Or Jeff Brohm (Purdue). Or from the G5 ranks Luke Fickell: Cincinnati, whose team had 9 draft picks last year, which would have been a great haul for an SEC school. But no, they hire the guy that Dabo Swinney fired as offensive and recruiting coordinator at Clemson (the Tigers began their run of 10 win seasons immediately after) off a 40-12 record in the Sun Belt. I gotta be honest: Derek Dooley had a better track record when Tennessee hired him. And Tennessee was in better shape when Dooley got there.

I am not ready to count Napier out. After all, Kirby Smart lost to Vanderbilt his first season too. And Smart inherited a team that had averaged 10 wins a year for the previous 14 years (and even prior to that had 5 straight winning seasons under Jim Donnan) plus actually had his starting QB for his bowl game instead of losing his top 2. But where you could at least see the reasoning behind Donnan (one of the most successful FCS coaches in history, and actually produced quite a few NFL players from that level), Richt (FSU OC) and Smart (Alabama DC) the only recent Florida hire that made sense even on paper was Muschamp.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

@thadec

Wow, that's the longest list of excuses I've barely ever read.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MACDAWG

Clearly you didn't read it if you think that they were excuses.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

Yeah, I read it, barely. It doesn't deserve my full attention. OK, so now Urban Meyer is a bad coach (he had no act two)? UF was surely feeling the love when he was there and winning. UF was upset when he did everything he could to get out of Gainesville. So now he's trash, because he's been exposed as a big fake and couldn't sustain his success at UF? PLEASE!!!. UGA fans took all kinds of abuse from arrogant UF fans while you were on top with Meyer, under the crazy enabler. Why did you even post this stuff on a UGA blog??

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...I stopped reading, after the take on Spurrier. FLA Fans ran him out of town??? 🤣🤣🤣 They couldn't pay him enough to change his mind about plying his trade in the NFL (Washington)...much less,, come back to Gainesville, when He returned to the College ranks.

I did catch the comparison between Napier and Smart's 1st year. Lol...Napier took over a team with an NFL 1st round hopeful at QB in his first season....while Smart, had a true Freshman at QB, that played his last High School game, 9 months prior to the start of the season. He didn't inherit anything of value in the QB room.

While Richt started the Eason recruitment...Kirby closed the deal, shortly after accepting the UGA job. And, personally, I think Saban is a mini-Smart...not the other way around.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with much, if not most, of what @thadec said. His analysis is as good as any. Where I disagree with him is about Meyer. While I believe the man lacks integrity, I don't think that you can call winning 2 national championships in 4 years, plus coaching a Heisman Trophy winner, a FAIL. I would definitely take that at UGA. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yuh. UGa was 15-4 from 71 thru 89. That is in the past also. So... I guess the gator faithful have to cling to something.

That said, I take no pleasure in seeing UF brought low. No. Wait. I do take pleasure in seeing UF brought low.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always want SEC teams to win bowl games against non-conference foes. Florida embarrassed its University and its Conference. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

You always go with the play that will give you the highest percentage to score....but the fact remains.....the Gators were held scoreless for 99% of the game while the team that has a beaver for a mascot hung 30 points on you.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Just goes to show you how silly and worthless much of the bowl season has become. A 6-6 Gator team shouldn't have even been invited to a bowl. Players rolled their eyes at the invitation and many opted out. Too many bowls for too many undeserving teams. All for the almighty dollar...Good grief...