Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Closer look: Why Georgia OL improvement wasn’t enough to win Joe Moore Award

SystemSystem Posts: 10,491 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageCloser look: Why Georgia OL improvement wasn’t enough to win Joe Moore Award

ATHENS — The Georgia offensive line works together better than last year’s, but not quite well enough to beat Michigan for the Joe Moore Award this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of course you're going to dominate the LOS all year when you only play one good team. By contrast Georgia's OL had to face and defeated 6 teams currently ranked in the Top 25.

This slight will only act as a motivator. My hope is Georgia dispatches ToSu in fine fashion and gives delusional Wolverine fans what they've been clamoring for - a rematch. Be careful of what you wish for!!!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m very impressed with what the Dawgs OL has been able to accomplish so far this season. When you consider that they are breaking in a new OL Coach, I think they have exceeded any reasonable expectations.

the UM - OSU game is usually one of the more high profile games of the season, and even more so this year with both teams going in undefeated. The Michigan OL put on a good performance in that game and it sounds like it was just enough (winning by five votes) to edge out the Dawgs for the JMA.

There’s not one player on the Dawgs OL that I would trade for Michigan’s best one. These guys play great together, and they’re putting together a run of impressive wins (along with the entire team) that could be historic.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Got it, so the recency bias that was generated by beating a highly overrated OSU team win them the award. Michigan loosed 2-3 games if they play in the SEC and gives up 20+ sacks. Period.

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 100%. I know if the same players were on another unnamed SEC team, they win the award. Bad tackling and overloading the line of scrimmage by OSU resulted in 2 long touchdown runs.

Only one thing left to do…win the whole freakin’ thing.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe the Dawgs line is truly more cohesive than last year an probably deserving of the award. However, I have to think the red zone touchdown under performance had to hurt during the final vote.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Considering the whole OL room... position depth, ability to plug and play 2-3 deep with no significant drop off... I'd take Georgia over any OL anywhere, any year. Once again, our guys care little about any awards other than team trophies. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

The problem with stats is that they don't take into account who those stats were against. Unfortunately stats figure heavily in most awards these days, since it is so hard for "voters" to watch every game. Maybe stats always have been used. That and whatever regional biases exist in the voters. I wonder what the stats for O-line would look like if you factored in the combined d-line performances of the teams those stats were generated against. Even with that, the differences in conferences could also be a factor. The worst SEC team's D-line might have poor stats because of primarily facing SEC competition, but could still be really better than the best team from another conference. It becomes an impossibility to factor everything needed to be objective. And these days, you can't even use post season matchups due to all the opt-outs. I wonder if we hear about that affecting Ohio State when the post-season is over. Unavailability ( for whatever reason ) is a part of football. In the last several years UGA has been without some of their best players for long stretches, but never has made excuses. Even the O-line has enough depth and quality that there hasn't been a noticeable performance hit. The 2's and 3's and beyond have shown the ability to be ready. I can't go so far as to say that we can't be beaten by a good team, but it won't be easy for anyone to beat us in any phase of the game. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yawn.

The only award that counts is won on the field of play.

I love to hear how the people who give out these awards think about things as is explains a lot; from a certain point of view the only game that matters all year long in college football features Tosu and Big Blue. Twice in two years Tosu has lost to the "best offensive line in the the world," because, well, how could Tosu possibly lose unless Big Blue had the best line in history! See how that works?

How'd Michigan's line do last season against the only good line of scrimmage they played? If you think that means the Tosu line you're not paying attention to the games.

I love articles about AntiRatPoison™, so at least there is something of value to the "award."

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

i love the way you put that.

let’s send em home from LA as miserable, dejected losers for the second year in a row.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Petesdawgs

No they won't. The reason is because when you beat Michigan, it will be due to:

A. your DL being better than the Michigan OL

B. your OL being better than the Michigan DL

It won't have anything to do with whether the UGA OL is better than the Michigan OL. You know why? Because the UGA OL will never play against the Michigan OL. Whether the Michigan OL is better than the UGA OL is irrelevant.

Like I said in yesterday's post: anyone who believes that the 2021 UGA OL could have actually blocked the future NFL players on the UGA front 7 last year - a front seven where the likes of Jalen Carter, Chris Smith and Channing Tindall didn't even start - stand up. Why? So we will know who all the reflex UGA homers who care absolutely nothing about facts or logic are. Including - as I mentioned previously - the best front 7 that UGA played last season (Clemson) held UGA to 3 points on offense, meaning that they needed a pick 6 (and several other big defensive plays) to barely escape that game.

Now keep in mind: I am not saying that the Michigan OL is necessarily better than the UGA OL. I am skeptical. But what do you want the Joe Moore Award people to do? UGA hasn't had a single 1000 yard rusher since D'Andre Swift. All those 4 and 5 star guys at RB and UGA's RBs average 4 to 5 ypc, which is honestly subpar. There are the red zone and short yardage issues that commenters below discuss. And keep in mind: they have these issues despite having the most talented group of TEs in the country. Michigan doesn't have Darnell Washington - they certainly don't have the ability to put a Darnell Washington and a Brock Bowers on the field at the same time - yet their #2 tailback still gets 7.5 ypc.

You want everyone to give UGA every single award because they're the #1 team in the country but that just isn't reality.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" The Wolverines’ impressive performance against Ohio State, rushing for 252 yards and averaging 7.2 yards per carry in their first win in Columbus since 2000, may have put the unit over the top."

I guess we can put up or shut up in 2 weeks against Ohio State. Will we be able to run the ball as effectively as Michigan did? Time will tell...if we do then we win hands down. If we don't and struggle to find an effective run game then maybe the voting committee was correct in giving the award to Michigan. I'd say the Dawg OL has got something to prove come December 31st.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

No, they won’t admit to being wrong. They WILL start campaigning for Notre Dame to be ranked in the preseason top 10 for the 2023 season. I guess it’s something that only those high-brow North Easterners understand because I sure don’t.

GO DAWGS!