Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ohio State thrives off underdog role, ‘we have something to prove’ against Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageOhio State thrives off underdog role, ‘we have something to prove’ against Georgia

ATHENS — Ohio State football is not accustomed to being the “underdog,” but past Buckeyes’ teams have embraced it, going 8-2 in that role since 2012.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BackHomeBackHome Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe it’s me, but sure sounds like “the [other] team up north” still rents a room in their heads.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia better be ready. That is a very talented team.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

we'll see who the confetti falls on them or us.

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

Look at the record of the teams they played. You will feel a lot better about our chances GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Time to unleash the Kirby Death Machine!

Let that defense go wild in their backfield and let’s see our secondary lock em down.

I want to see Georgia up by 27 at the half and not take their foot off the gas.

go dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

It will be interesting to see how the Dawgs respond after winning the SEC Championship. They are in a completely different mindset than at this time last season. In contrast, the Buckeyes are now hungry, focused, and very vengeful like the Dawgs were last season after our loss to Bama. We (specifically our defense) had something to prove last season, and boy did we ever!! Now the Buckeyes have something to prove.

Will that 'edge' prove critical on New Year's Eve? On paper, the Dawgs should win, but we all know stats are for losers when emotions and motivation are part of the equation. I think this game will be much tougher on the Dawgs than people think. Hopefully, we'll be ready and focused.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

You got that right....now after 25 games being the favorite to win.....(look at who they play)...TOS is now THE UNDER DOG...that's uncharted territory and given they just got their rear ends handed to them at home, I'd say The Dawgs are now living rent free....my only question, as well as CJ Stroud's....when Jalen Carter picks me up will he slam me or just smile????

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ancely

I keep seeing everyone claim that schedule strength is this massive advantage that UGA has over Ohio State. Do UGA fans not realize that UGA only played 2 teams that had fewer than 4 losses this year? And one of those was Oregon, a 3 loss team with Bo Nix at QB? Michigan, Penn State and Notre Dame were pretty much as good as anyone on UGA's schedule this season.

Yes, UGA plays in the SEC, but this is the worst the SEC has been in years. The SEC West champion lost to FSU at home and also lost to 5-7 Texas A&M (plus had a 4 TD home loss).

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

not an apples to apples comparison. The SEC cannibalizes itself. So to compare win to losses isn’t necessarily fair. Look at the overall talent and physicality level of the teams in each respective conference and you’ll get a better feel for why many of us feel this way.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here's a comparative breakdown of each team's season based on number of wins their opponents held.

0-win opponents: UGA - 0, OSU - 0

1-win opponents: UGA - 0, OSU - 1 (Northwestern)

2-win opponents: UGA - 0, OSU - 0

3-win opponents: UGA - 0, OSU - 1 (Ark St)

4-win opponents: UGA - 0, OSU - 2 (Rutgers, Indiana)

5-win opponents: UGA - 4 (Kent, Aub, Vand, GT), OSU - 1 (MI St)

6-win opponents: UGA - 2 (Mizzou, FL), OSU - 1 (Wisc)

7-win opponents: UGA - 1 (KY), OSU - 2 (Iowa, Maryland)

8-win opponents: UGA - 2 (SC, Miss St), OSU - 2 (ND, Toledo)

9-win opponents: UGA - 2 (OR, LSU), OSU - 0

10-win opponents: UGA - 1 (TN), OSU - 1 (Penn)

11-win opponents: UGA - 1 (Samford), OSU - 0

12-win opponents: UGA - 0, OSU - 1* (MICH, *loss)

UGA has several more upper-end opponents (7/5), and, while each school has 6 schools on its books this year for opponents that have won 6 or fewer games, the records of the ones that UGA has gone against have better overall than those that OSU can name.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is it the worst or most competitive? Very obvious also that the strength of the west has been passed to the east. No more hand out games for Bama either. Could that be why you're saying "down season", because Bama had 2 losses? To that point, I'll still take the SEC cannibals over any conference out there. When one of our mid-bottom teams beats one of the top teams from another conference, handily, then I wouldn't say that this is one of the worst seasons. Just shows that the SEC is only getting stronger. I mean, even Florida beat a good Utah team. Ohio state had to get lucky and sneak by northwestern, (a 1 win team). So to say the SEC is having a down year, is also saying that you're not paying attention.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

Wypler said last week at an Ohio State media availability. “You can tell the intensity is different, the vibes are different, and everyone is moving with a different sense of purpose. “We have something to prove and that’s given everyone a little extra motivation.”

If you didn't have that intensity to play Michigan, your biggest rival and "the game", that sure doesn't say much for your coaching.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 326 ✭✭✭ Junior

@osmosiphobe Your breakdown provides pretty straightforward facts and not just subjective analysis. Nice job.