Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia tight end Arik Gilbert enters name in NCAA transfer portal

Comments

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wish the young man the best as he continues his journey. I hope Kirby and company learn that when a kid passes up the opportunity to sign with Georgia initially, do not give them that second chance. I am saying this as my opinion to say they did not want to be in Georgia from the beginning. If they did, they would have signed the first time. Plus, Georgia has proven they do not need players out of the transfer portal. The team went 13-0 and is playing in the CFP. You get better buy-in from players you recruit than out of the transfer portal. It shows trust and the coach's commitment to making them better players.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Of course, we can't really do anything more than speculate. Considering the amount of support that he appears to have gotten at UGA, part of me wonders whether it's a matter of needing to be in a smaller program with less pressure. That doesn't make much sense, though, as even a college run at a smaller program is something you'd think would be geared toward the LEAGUE. I've said more than once here that we don't have any right to his business, but you do wonder what goes on in people's heads sometimes...

• Options
    ChiefChief Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's a good theory. I'm not sure it adds up with his teammates' celebration at his touchdown this season, exactly, though. I'm also not sure that CKS would have kept someone who didn't meet the standard on for so long, or go out of his way to tend to his needs. So, maybe there really is just something going on with the guy that doesn't have so much to do with his behavior or entitlement. Unfortunately for us, just like with the question of how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, the world may never know.

• Options
    johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm surprised Mike didn't find a way to get Jeremy Pruitt's take on this subject...

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Brings back a memory....back when I was in the dating scene.....I met and dated so many talented, beautiful women, invariably most were like AG, Butterheads......everything was GREAT, But Her Head. I can't imagine where he'll go but I do wish AG well.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I completely get where you’re coming from on this. I would ask you to think back to when you were 18 and ask yourself if you wish you could have had a mulligan on something.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey, do what you have to do young man its your life.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best of Luck to you.

probably for the best, it’s time to move on and focus on the next two games.

God bless.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Transparency...This was needed after almost two years of this grown man in Athens dealing with off field issue's.

Kirby, his staff and the University went beyond their grace to help this man overcome his issues. Best wishes on this man's path to wherever life leads him.

Now...Kirby can recruit another scholarship man that is willing to work in school and on the plating field to the betterment of UGA and most importantly...himself

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, I guess Georgia had enough of the personal issues with Gilbert. Seriously, he probably should forget football at this point, going to another team can't do anything but present more issues for the kid. At Georgia, he was closer to his family than anywhere else. If that didn't help, who knows what the answer is. Maybe he tries Georgia Tech? At least then, he would still be close to home. Kirby and team seemed to do everything they could to make things right for him, so sad. Great talent, that couldn't shake whatever demons are after him. I pray for him that he will find peace.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    brinkmanmsbrinkmanms Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

Later. Gator?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish things had worked out for Arik and UGA, but alas it didn’t. So I wish him well with his life. And I sincerely salute Kirby and UGA for doing all they could to help him. And I salute the patience with him of Many Dawgs fans. Though this might appear on the surface to be a total bust for UGA it’s not. Be assured recruits and their families were/are very aware of the lengths that Kirby and UGA went to trying to help Arik, and it gives those recruits and their families confidence that Kirby and UGA go 110% in looking out after their players. I’m not gonna bash on Arik as I don’t know why things didn’t work out. He’s leaving and UGA will move on forward. I hope for his sake that his life can come together and he to can move forward.