Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What social media is saying about Georgia football after another elite signing class

SystemSystem Posts: 10,665 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhat social media is saying about Georgia football after another elite signing class

Georgia had so much talent added to its 2023 signing class that it couldn’t all be contained to a single day. After signing 24 recruits on Wednesday, Georgia added 4-star defensive lineman Jordan Hall and transfer wide receivers RaRa Thomas and Dominic Lovett.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best thing about this Georgia recruiting class, these players want to be at UGA for the program because they know they'll get developed into the best player that they can be.

Georgia fans don't have to worry about a mass exodus of disillusioned players in 1-2 years, because the biggest reason they chose their team was because they simply went to the highest bidder.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

QB room is loaded. Stop talking about it. Even if one leaves, portal is there if a body or bridge season or 2 is needed. That is worse case scenario ONLY if someone gets hurt because who are in the room are legit.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel like I woke up on Christmas morning and everything I asked Santa for was under the tree with several extras!!!. I wonder how Monken is feeling? Our one weakness was at WR and now it's a strengh!! It all changed on a dime!!

I believe evey SEC coach just had that look when realizing our haul that CKS has in the meme where he sees a recruit at a HS game do something special!

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hold up there big guy! Let’s wait until after the CFP, I bet we will have a handful of transfers, especially bc of the players in this class

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m hoping in the long run that our “miss” with Arch Manning will actually be a blessing. Dylan Raiola, the #1QB and overall recruit in the 2024 class is apparently strongly considering UGA after de-committing from Ohio State earlier this week. He’s the only player I have seen with a higher 247 Composite rating than Manning. Cross your fingers and stay tuned. Go Dawgs and Merry Christmas to all!!!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So much for Smart being "too obtuse" to use the portal.

• Options

If you listen to JS today on BA's show he mentioned maybe some WR'(s) currently on the roster may be transfering come spring. OK, that shows a position of strength where some figure I don't stand a chance at playing now these better guys have come in. All you can do is wish them well. The thing you don't want to have happen is a Jameson Williams type thing. But there again it shows the strength that Ohio St had at WR.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We already had some excellent players in the WR room. Whether any will leave is beyond my crystal ball.

Like everyone else - and by that I include everyone including the locker room because we all want the Dawgs to be the best team in the history of the world, every year, forever, and because our players see football as a team sport and not a look at me sport - like everyone, I'm celebrating the great work done by Kirby & Company and the great decisions made by so many high character, I-want-to-play-for-Georgia, I-like-to-go-to-school, smart student athletes.

Also tough, fast, strong, willing to work, gym rat, competitive, iron sharpens iron, team first players.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options

@Jim wallace

You are correct we did already have some excellent players at WR. I never implied we didn't. However whether through injuries or just the better receivers not wanting to come to UGA in the past our WR room was to me, and to others as well, the weakest link of a strong chain. Not saying they were terrible, although I can think of a certain guy who left a couple of years ago who couldn't catch a cold, but that's beside the point. Please don't try to swing my words to the other side of the pendulem. I love all of our guys as well, because they're ours! I can't think of a single receiver that we have that when the're in the game I hope we don't throw it to him. Besides that, it wasn't me who said that CKS brought in these transfer guys because more than likely(paraphrasing) some were going to leave for greener pastures anyhow, it was Jeff Sentell.

If you read my other posts you will see that I'm as bullish on this class as anyone. THere is some talk or was yesterday, again not by me, but by someone who does this stuff for a living that Raymond Cottrell might end up going somewhere else because of these two transfers coming in. I posted yesterday that there is nothing wrong with him coming in and perhaps redshirting for a year and learning and growing and then balling out in 24-26. I stated, I'm greedy, I want every good receiver to come to UGA. I don't want any of our guys to leave. But I'm also, a realist.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed, @reddawg1. The proven talent that could return (assuming Jackson and Blaylock won't) would be McConkey, Mitchell, Rosemy-Jacksaint, Bell and Arian Smith, plus Lovell and Rara.

That's seven guys who could start for a lot of Power 5 teams, plus three (possible, four) very promising freshmen who may play their way into the rotation.

I hope each of the first five guys I listed stays -- most of all McConkey and Mitchell. They're all DGDs. But you couldn't blame one or two for wanting to move on to ensure that they'd get more opportunities.

And I'm not even counting the tier below those guys: Meeks, Morissette, Mews and Speer. They might be tempted to test the waters to see if they could play a larger role at a Group of 5 school.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

QUESTION for everyone: What other position do you think we need to firm up for next year from the transfer portal?

I'm thinking we could benefit at this point for an experienced SS and possibly an experienced OT and OLB. What do y'all think?

• Options
    edited December 2022

If McIntosh and Milton leave I’m a little concerned with our depth and experience at RB eventhough we have some very talented players. Marshawn Lloyd may be a good prospect and we tried to recruit him out of HS. He had more yards rushing and receiving this past season than any of our RBs….and that was behind a much weaker OL at SC. Also, an interesting note is he was recruited at SC by 3 Dawgs (Bobo, Muschamp and Thomas Brown) so we have some established contacts. Overall I think we look good at all positions, but hopefully we will add a few more high ranked OL in 2024 along with 1-2 RBs and the #1 QB. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

I know some of our WRs may be nervous regarding the competition that has suddenly appeared (3 recruits + 2 from TP), but Kirby has been very clear about the conditioning of the 3 young ones. He’s already said they need to hit the weight room and gain strength so they can do what he expects from WRs. This makes me think most of them will redshirt next year and the new “portal” stars will be replacing the receivers we will possibly lose after we win the NC 😉. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As high quality RB and OLB as possible imho. Looks like we might end up somewhat thin at those if God Forbid the injury bug were to hit. Just my opinion.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So what??? Out with the bad...in with good. Regardless of what happens after the CFP...I don't see a mass exodus of talent.

Ya know why? It's all right there in the article and any of a hundred other articles, statements and interviews.....UGA doesn't lose high character, hard working football players that love the game and are willing to "do what it takes to succeed and excel...because they intentionally don't want and don't sign the types of players that don't fit that mold.

It happens, though. Character and commitment are very difficult to identify, in some cases. You usually don't find out what a player's character is, until you put him under pressure. It's important to know how an individual will respond under adversity. Will he fight till he drops...or, tap out.

Bottom line...I'm betting there aren't gonna be very many tap-outs on a Kirby Smart team. He and his coaching staff are the best I've ever seen at the psychological aspect of the game. Pretty dadgum good at all the other aspects, too. Lol

Go git em, you "Big Red Hairy one-der Dawgs"!!!

• Options

"If McIntosh and Milton leave I’m a little concerned with our depth and experience at RB eventhough we have some very talented players. "

That crossed my mind, too.. If it was me...and that happened, I would permanently move Bowers to Half-Back/H-Back. UGA has more than enough talent in the TE room, to cover that position, especially with the receiver group they just brought in. Why not spread it out a little bit.

Plus, I've been really impressed with how Branson Robinson has been coming along and Edwards has improved as well. Running with authority, picking up the running lanes, blocking...everything, but speed...cause you can't teach or Coach that. That requires individual commitment, "along with", natural ability.

• Options
    edited December 2022

I Don't think UGA went all out to sign Manning. In fact I think they only pursued him for the publicity. Everyone expected UGA to recruit him, cause the hype machine said he was the best.

My guess is, Monkin wasn't thrilled about signing him, cause he already has what he needs for the next few years, in the QB room. And, they didn't see where Manning would be an upgrade...plus, through no fault of his own, he comes with baggage. UGA just doesn't NEED that. More minuses than plusses...maybe.