Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football Ohio State instant observations as Bulldogs win a classic comeback

SystemSystem Posts: 10,507 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football Ohio State instant observations as Bulldogs win a classic comeback

ATLANTA — Georgia showed its championship mentality on Saturday night. It fell behind by 14 points twice. It looked out of it. At one point, it seemed like the Bulldogs have waved a white flag kicking a field goal down by 14 with 10 minutes remaining.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's GREAT to be a GEORGIA BULLDOG!!!!!

• Options
    Cali_DawgCali_Dawg Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

Heart attack pups 🐶! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think this young team started believing the rat poison. A win's a win though. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We fought all the way back. Scrapped, played poorly, got knocked down, picked ourselves back up and went back to work. Just amazing...

Happy New Year!!

• Options
    cdawg92cdawg92 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

We got lucky but a win is win! Rather be lucky any day than good! Go dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@cdawg92

You didn't get lucky. UGA had better players and better coaches. The only reason why it was a game was because SB IV slipped and threw an INT into an OSU defender's gut.

The last set of downs was key. UGA knew that Ohio State was going to run up the middle out of the shotgun on first down and then throw to the sideline out of the shotgun on 2nd and 3rd down. What does Ohio State do? Exactly that and UGA stuffed it.

Why not line up under center on first down? On second or third down, why not have Stroud FAKE a throw to the sideline and then take off around the edge, running right past the OLBs and DEs trying to pressure from the outside? Why not a quick swing pass or screen to the RB in the flat?

But nah. You try to do the "they know what is coming but can't stop it" thing despite missing your two best WRs. (Not an excuse like Bama. This is coaching, not injuries.) So what does UGA do? They stop it with their superior personnel.

Tell me why Ryan Day is such a genius again? Because calling 3 straight plays that everyone in the stadium knows is coming against a defense with better players isn't smart. Meanwhile Kirby Smart actually is a genius. Wins in 2021 with the historic defense that he built. Loses 15 players, comes back the next year with what may well be the best offense in college football.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

No @97GradyDawg, give the other team credit. Ohio State has a QB, TE and several WRs who will play quite awhile in the NFL. They were going to score points. UGA just had to score more. Everyone has said all season long that Ohio State was the team most likely to beat UGA. Tonight you saw why. Not only did UGA beat Ohio State, but they beat Ohio State playing Ohio State's game: a fast-paced scoring shootout; a gun battle between the 2 QBs. Ask anyone before the game who would be most likely to win that contest and they would say Ohio State. Ohio State is a very good team, but even despite catching a couple of breaks, UGA was just better.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

The DAWGS BEAT the Best BIG 10 team.....how they allowed Michigan to win is a mystery given how the Buckeyes played us. Definitely the BEST team we have played all year...Kodos to the BUCKEYES. GOIN 4 2 N 22...I believe we will have an even better team next year......GO DAWGS!

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

The int was so bad nobody notices it was an easy TD for Georgia (well assuming McIntosh didn't get turf monstered on that as well) assuming Bennett doesn't throw the comeback route option. McIntosh was wide open behind the defense with no safety help.

At the end of the day, the players (and coaches) made the plays they needed to win. They could have made more,but they made the ones they NEEDED to.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That win wasn’t Luck.

There is a reason that there has only been 2 back to champions in CFB in over 45 years…

And this DAWG team went 13-0 and won an SEC title to follow up a NATTY!?!?!

What this team has done this season so far is AMAZING, and they have one more game to win. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Hard work and physicality and determination had EVERYTHING to do with it!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What is amazing to me is if Pod had made either or both of those 2 easy FG’s that he completely whiffed on: most of the drama would have been for not in those last 2 minutes. It would have been a 4 point or 7 point game, lol.

Man, that throw and catch from SB to Superman Brock Bowers with 2 defenders hands within 2 inches of the ball as well as the OSU DE about to kill SB (within a foot of him)!!! That was an unbelievable play by both of those awesome Dawgs.

And the way AD and Blaylock and Smith and McConkey and Jackson and Rosemy-Jacksaint stepped up in that game last night was unreal. I did not see any of our injured and maligned WR drop one single football last night. And that one fumble on the lateral was all on Bennett: that was one **** short arm pass there and that was totally on Bennett.

I saw so many good and bad things happen with our Dawgs on all sides of the ball last night that I am more thankful than ever that they were able to pull it out in the end. That’s the craziest game I have ever seen our Dawgs play and come out with the win, and YES, that includes the Rose Bowl against OU. And just for the record, I flew out to Anaheim and saw that game in person. Crazy.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

For two years people have been wondering if Stetson could lead a game ending drive to win a big game…. Will there be piling on Ringo? He actually didn’t do too bad - Harrison had some catches, which was gonna happen, and Lassiter gave up some targets too. But, it seemed the bulk of their passing success was against our safeties by Egbuka with a few others thrown in. To me, the most frustrating thing to watch on our defense was the failure to gather in Stroud under control, on rushes and get him to the ground. It reminded me of the seccg against Bama, when Hurts came in and the seccg against Burrow. If our defenders approached qb under just a little more control when rushing it would be more difficult for him to evade. I think I counted 3 or 4 near sacks where stroud was able to move and complete passes, when our defenders, in the heat of the moment, seemed to go for the big hit, instead of breaking down and wrapping up. Duggan will present the same issue.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We were very lucky last night. We are a really good team, but we were lucky to win with the missed FG. Gotta clean up a lot in 8 days. Duggan is a much better running qb than stroud. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Observations:

PAC12 referees had me concerned. They don't see the physical football played in the SEC. On the whole they seemed okay. Mostly let them play. I never thought that OSU would play a cleaner game than UGA. I only remember 1 penalty on OSU the whole game. An offensive holding call in the 2nd half.

They got the "targeting" call right. Clearly head turned and shoulder to shoulder. They also got the BB's 4th down spot right. Seeing live I thought BB got a bad spot. Changing those 2 calls shocked me. W/o either of those calls or the CKS time out and this game is a loss.

WR's 8, 10, 11 and 1 making big catches with 84 obviously hurting should be recognized. Injuries starting to mount. 0, 70, 84 and 32 are probably out or sub par for the CFBCG. HOPEFULLY 7, 13 and 33 can be 100% next week. Did Milton get hurt again? He played well but didn't play much.

TCU bullied MI. But MI really had a worst game possible scenario play out. TCU has a big WR (6'4" 215) that should be an easier match up for Ringo. both straight line fast but not super agile. TCU and OSU played their best games of the season. MI and UGA did not.

People forget that OSU was #2 most of the year and rated over UGA. Saw them play a few times this year and they were markedly better last night than what I saw during the year. CJ Stroud, last night, looked like the #1 NFL pick and was the best QB I saw this year.

"There was a 30 min period there where I just played bad football", SBIV The Rollercoaster. Part of the blame needs to go to Monken's play calling. Again head scratching. UGA O running a hurry up play while trying to run the clock down, on the last drive, was as dumb as it gets. Almost cost UGA the game. You could tell CKS was perturbed with SBIV for forcing longer throws when underneath outlets were open.

Thankfully SBIV played well in the 4th. The throw over the middle to BB(?) in traffic as the pocket collapsed was and will be the biggest throw of SBIV's career.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Very nicely done.

As Kirby said after the game, Stetson has got to play a lot better (in the next game).

Not just Stetson of course. There is a great deal of room for improvement. Kirby said Tosu probably should have won (or something like that) which was somewhat a tribute to how well they played and to what a great victory it was for his Dawgs. Taking nothing away from this game or our season, we were at least a little bit lucky to have won.

Today many of us will watch one of the game replays. Doing so - knowing the outcome - should be very instructive. In much the same vein, imagine the team, coaches, and analysts watching film.

This is one hell of a football team Kirby's built. The Dawgs played a tough, talented, fast, strong, athletic Tosu team which meant to win the game and dâmn near did. In the forum game thread last night most posters gave up on Stetson and the Dawgs. There are lessons to be learned here, by our team, and by our fans.

Thankfully, our team and our coaches never gave up. In particular, kudos to our tough as nails, streaky, inconsistent, extremely talented, confident, determined quarterback. He is fully capable of pulling rabbits out of a hat. In reviewing the numbers - and thinking about how great the Ohio State quarterback looked all game - who had the better numbers?

When it came down to it, our Dawgs were always in the hunt.

One more game!

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

For UGA to win that game is a testament to the physical and mental conditioning CKS has built into the UGA program. While there were very flukey plays involved for both teams, for UGA to hang in there and still pull out a win was beyond the capabilities of most CFB programs.

Technically if you take away a gimme 76 yard pass play where the OSU DB fell down, CJS had the better numbers and against what was considered a much better UGA D. He looked extremely impressive while SBIV admitted he "played bad football for 30 mins". CJS will be a top 3(?) NFL pick with a long starting career. SBIV will probably be an UFA who hangs on for a couple years as a back up. The differences between the players was starkly evident.

After 6 yrs of CFB, SBIV is a good CFB QB. As you said "not just Stetson" we all hope plays better. It might even be safe to say that of all the UGA players , SBIV may have played the best last night. That may be a first.

There'll be no rat poison to eat when the team looks at the film of last night's game. Should be a pretty good coaching opportunity to refocus on for the CFBCG.

• Options
    cdawg92cdawg92 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

Na we got lucky the kicker missed. We didn’t block it. He just missed. Lucky, the butterflies in the stomach got the best of him. Have to play better than that against TCU. I don’t care if it’s just TCU. Got to play disciplined.