Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Stetson Bennett celebration speech draws strong reaction from Georgia football fans

Comments

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And here is the response I gave that was endorsed by 7 other readers and cc’d by 4 others AND reiterated to you about OSU holding and tackling JC in 5 other comments in response to your inaccurate and silly article. There was NOT more “complimentary than anything else” in that article and I believe you know that.

who do you think you are kidding?

You and Chip Towers come from the same “journalist” tree or what?!

@MikeGriffith

Your article is lazy as he11 and cherry picks throughout.

You begin your article with the words “neutralize” and “Jalen Carter”, yet not one sentence gives the entire story or even a part of the entire story that was the semifinal game between UGA and OSU.

I do not have a degree in journalism. However,I did attend and graduate from a public 4 year state university, occasionally stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, and also served honorably defending our country in the military for over 20 years, and your narrative and half-baked articles like this one are ridiculous.

Every once in 25 or so posts you put up articles that are complete and thorough and a layman can easily tell that you put some time and effort into it; but THIS is NOT IT.

As a reporter, sports genre or otherwise, shouldn’t you make at least a tiny effort to report on both sides of a story and allow the readers to make up their minds from there about ultimately what you are writing about?

How many hurries did Jalen Carter have in the game where you write he was “neutralized”?

How many times did JC get held by O lineman that wasn’t called by the referees?

I got one for you: DID YOU EVEN WATCH the game for a second or third time since New Year’s eve? I bet you didn’t!

How many pressures did other defensive lineman have due to JC being double teamed? How many times was JC double teamed or chipped at the LOS?

I tell you what, Mike, you are lucky that the AJC has almost a monopoly on reporting and access to our Georgia BULLDAWGS, because if they didn’t, you and most of Dawg Nation would either A)Be out of a job, or B) Not be reporting on the Georgia BULLDAWGS.

That’s all I got for you, sir.

Be better.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would have liked a little less smack from Stetson but to me he can say anything he wants. He's earned it and will go down as one of the greatest Dawgs ever. I bet a lot of the doubters were just trolls from other schools and some of this media on dumb podcasts. Go Dawgs. Three peat.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I admit my skepticism of Stetson during the early days, but he grew on me with his determination and yes, a bit of a chip on his shoulder. We cannot deny his record at UGA....two National Championships being the most noteworthy...two attached MVPs as well. Name another fellow Heisman candidate the past two seasons to accomplish that? Enough.

Beck, Vandagriff and Stockton are now in line to succeed...who will it be?

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, not a good look, should of had more respect for his fans, coaches, team mates and himself. I can only hope he hasn't done irreparable damage to his career. Good luck going forward Mailman.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

I know this is a little off topic, but since the author posted it, I am going to reply.

Jalen Carter was far from "neutralized" in that game. You might want to watch it again. He was chasing Cam New..., I mean CJ Stroud, all over the backfield during the game. UGA sacked him 4 times. They don't do that without Carter wearing out that middle of the line and eating up double teams. Despite all that, there was still constant pressure on Stroud up the middle, by Carter and Bear. The reason Stroud was moving so much throughout the game was part game plan and also necessity, but both were due to Carter's (and Bear's) effects on OSU's plans. Best example is the play Harrison was hurt on.

Was Carter gassed at certain points, yes, but he still logged 50+ snaps. The idea he was neutralized is as lazy as the OSU fan take Harrison's injury even mattered.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If doubting The Dawgs, puts a little gas in their tank and a chip on their shoulder...I'm all for it. Lol

I think I'll go ahead and "doubt em" next year, too. Maybe they'll bring another Natty home.

I don't fault Bennett for what he said about his doubters, anymore than I fault Smart for what he said about Bennett during a halftime interview at the Peach Bowl. Whatever it takes, right?

The fact is...UGA's coaching staff is partially responsible for all the Bennett doubters. They waited till the 2021 Bowl Practice, to actually, publicly express complete confidence in Bennett.

Maybe that was their way of pushing his buttons, motivating him to excel. Who knows. Whatever the case...you can't argue with the result.

I do know this...he is the most successful...yet criticized QB in UGA history. He could throw 10 perfect passes and 1 bad pass, and you'd thought the Dawg World was coming to an end. Listening to some of you, you would've thought Joe Cox was behind center, again. Lol

Oh well...next year is gonna be a blast. The Dawgs, with their 2023 schedule, WILL have another opportunity at immortality with a 3-peat. It's gonna be fun, watching one of those young QBs rise to the top and lead em to the Promised Land...hopefully. I'm pulling for all of em.

Go Dawgs 2023!!! Looking forward to another year of outstanding football...win, lose or draw.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

MG there are a few FANS that are haters and think they know more than KS about coaching a football team but that bullseye target for that comment was on the medias back and you have been one of the leaders in that negativity. Own UP JARSE

• Options

I think his Coaches and Teammates see it the same way Stet sees it. So, maybe he did respect em by saying what he said.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep…..you and many others are spot on. I really like MG, but he knows he’s had Stetson’s number for 3 years. Bennet became a superstar in his first game that many fans have forgotten. He came off the bench with little to no experience running the team and pulled off a miraculous win at Arkansas after we were pounded in the first half. I’ve been a Bennett fan since that game when I realized very few QBs in UGA history could have pulled that off in their first game. For some reason MG was obsessed with JT and never could let go. Thanks Mailman for delivering and delivering and……. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish Stetson the very best that life has to offer. I will always be grateful to him and All our Dawgs that brought these B2B Ntl. Championship trophies to Athens. It’s the stuff of legends. It truly is Great to be a Dawgs fan !! But now it’s time to start looking forward !! Threepeat !! Threepeat !! Threepeat !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DocckDocck Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

I have always been pro-Stetson. Even when he was getting a lot of passes batted down and a fair number of interceptions. I love a good underdog story. But being gracious costs nothing and looks good on everyone.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love that the underdog went out on top. I wish he would have also taken the higher road than others though. Best of luck to you Mailman. You’ll be a legend for sure and perhaps one day give the appropriate thanks to those that did support you, and even more so to those that didn’t.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Listening to his words compared to the article- Stetson was just talking off the cuff. Sure he could have taken the easily out and said “his team mates”. At least he was sober! In context it really wasn’t all that.

• Options

See...that's what Bennett was talking about, right there.

He's never had a problem with batted passes...any more than any other top tier QB. And, I don't know what you're talking about with INTs. That's never been an issue, either.

Go back 3 yrs and compare his STATs to the likes of Young, Stroud, Daniels and the rest. His INTs are pretty much in line with everybody elses...or better.

What you are doing, is repeating "the narrative"...not the facts. There's a difference. Oh yeah...and his sack numbers were low, due to his pocket presence and mobility...as much as the o-line blocking.

Lol...you just didn't appreciate what you had. But, you will.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Bennett was talking to the Media, just didn't come out right, and he didn't say "screw you", he said "screw it", we got two championships, go back during the season, and it was the media that didn't believe Georgia could beat a good passing team, even the playoff committee dropped UGA to #3 in the first poll, they were a lot of doubters, they even gave Michigan the easiest route to the championship over UGA, they set TCU in the #3 ranking just so Michigan and Ohio State wouldn't have to play each other, not going to judge Stetson Bennett over some words on a stage, or him staying on his phone during the parade, not sure he was on the phone the whole time, because I saw him signing a football, seems like it's being over blown. Just my Opinion