Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett’s storybook Georgia football career might continue with final stop at Senior Bowl

SystemSystem Posts: 10,496 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett’s storybook Georgia football career might continue with final stop at Senior Bowl

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett might be donning his Georgia football helmet one final time, according to Senior Bowl sources.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Absolutely should be there.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just don’t ask him up on stage.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let's do a quick blind comparison.

245/380, 3328 yards, 8.8 yards /attempt, 185 yards rushing, 36 td responsible/5 int, QBR 163

333/500, 4537 yards, 9.1 yards/attempt, 382 yards rushing, 52 td responsible, 5 int, QBR 168

310/454, 4127 yards, 9.1 yards/attempt, 205 yds rushing, 37 td responsible/7 int, QBR 161

One of these is the presumed #1 player in the draft. A second is the Heisman trophy winner. The other is Stetson Bennett.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

No interview please.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Freedom of speech seems to be a thing of the past. Bennett can say what he wants. If you are butt hurt about it, too bad. He was dragged thru he mud for at least a year and proved erveryone wrong. I'll be rooting for him.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@rxmaster

On that point, Bennett and Young are virtually the same size. I'd bet Bennett is faster.

• Options
    busterchapbusterchap Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett completely disrespected thousands of fans that had not disrespected him at the Natty celebration! Time to get that chip off his shoulder and act like a grownup!

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA CAN'T WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WITH STETSON BENNETT AT QB!

How many times did we see that on these pages? I remember all of you. You are who SBlV was speaking to.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe

Lots of similarities here.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I didn't see or hear Stetson Bennett on Saturday but based on what I've read about it and the comments afterward, I'll just say that it seems that Dawg fans believe he can say or do whatever he wants now -- except maybe kneel during the National Anthem. But maybe Stetson Bennett can get away with even that since he was sooooo disrespected these past two years. Speaking of disrespect, though, I don't follow the logic of the Senior Bowl guy. Bennett was the defending National Champion quarterback, he led his team to an undefeated season this year, won the SEC championship and his CFP semifinal (Peach Bowl), and is something like 27-3 as a starter. Yet, after ALL of that, it still took a lights-out performance in the NCG for him to even be CONSIDERED for a spot in the Senior Bowl which, I note, still has not yet issued him an official invitation as I type this a week after said NCG. God help him if he had just played OK against TCU. Maybe Stetson was right after all -- just screw it. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I watched the parade on TV. SB4 was signing autographs, chatting with kids, waving, etc. He was on his phone. But what person his age isn't?

I can't read minds, but I suspect when he talked about"you", he didn't mean the people cheering him. He was addressing his critics. I also suspect his "jimmies and joes" comment was intended to give back the love his team mates had for him. We've seen him choke up in front of a microphone. We've seen his emotion before.

And, me son suggested SB4 might've been working out with John Barleycorn.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Have always been in SBIV's corner. Still am. I can't really find an excuse, though, for his behavior on Saturday. There's not a lot he can say to change the minds of writers, bloviators, talking heads, fans, etc. that weren't supporters of his. But he can surely change the minds of people who supported him through the last two years. I don't know, but I like to think he wasn't directing his comments toward fans at large; rather to specific people/groups. I was close up at the beginning of the Dawg Walk and saw him pass by all fans (and out large group of you boys) - walking down the middle without any interaction with fans that I could see vs others that at least fist bumped and high fived fans. I can tell you from the disappointment my 8 year old son expressed, he noticed. The reality is that he hurt his brand a bit with people (like me) because he took a needless swing in a moment that was supposed to a celebration. It was selfish and ill-advised - in poor character. I'm still a fan of SBIV but I don't think he acted mature or professional Saturday. I hope in retrospect, he will see how cheap and selfish it was and grow from it as a person.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    hootche10hootche10 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior

In SBIV's last 4 quarters as UGA's QB: (4th against OSU and first 3 against TCU)

28-37 passing

494 yds passing

21 yds rushing (2 sacks against O.State included)

6 TD's passing

2 TD's Rushing

8 total TD's accounted for

Impressive stats for any QB

• Options
    hootche10hootche10 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior

Correction: The sacks against Ohio State did not come in the 4th quarter as I recall so he may not have had any rushing yds in the 4th quarter against OSU.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I, like I believe most Dawg fans, just want the DAWGS to to win. Just win. I don't care who the starting QB is, if he's winning. THe drama we had as fans was by-in-large due to the drama inside the UGA coaching staff.

Let;s take a step back and remember what happened. Fromm leaves and we were supposed to get this great QB from Wake Forrest, right? THen before the season starts in August he quits. Then the coaching staff says OK well Mathis has been looking the best in practice, I'm talking about practice! CTM I;m sure with CKS's blessing names Dwan the starter. It was a fiasco. It was clear from the get go that he was overwhelmed and unprepared. SB comes in and saves the day. Now everyone is like OK this guy has got some game. He wins the next week , the next and the next, then we play BAMA, things look good for awhile and then not so good. SB winds up throwing 18-40 in passing with 3 ints. Uh-Oh Houston we have a problem. Is he the guy who can take down BAMA? DOesn't appear so. He goes onto start well against FLa but gets injured and on one play we lose SB and Jack Saint.

So, with SB being injured JT Dainiels is now miraculously healthy enough to play and he throws for 400 yards and beats Miss St on a night we ended up with 8 yards rushing. So, now you have dire hard UGA fans divided on who should be the QB. JUst fans who want to win. That's all.

BUt this division among the fans was as I said, by-in-large to the coaching staff, a QB quitting, and injuries. JT beats Cincy in the Peach Bowl leading us to a last second victory throwing for 400 yards. Kirby names him the starter going into the next season.

JT leads us to a victory against Clemson, but he didn't look good and come to find out he had been hurt in that game. I believe. So here we go again with the injury bug at QB. SB steps in and light it up against UAB(but it's UAB) JT comes back for the next game against SC and throws for 300 and leads us to a big win.

THe next game was Vandy and we were up 34-o in the 1st quarter, both QB's played and did OK, but JT must have gotten reinjured or still not over the nagging injury he had becasue SB starts against ARK and then Auburn. Both were wins but SB only average 150 yard passsing in those 2 games. NOt exactly stellar.

So, up until this point it;s perhaps easy to see why DAWGnation fans are split between who they believe is best suited to lead the team. It was never this cut and dried, black and white thing that some people on here are trying to make it out to be. SB beats Fla but it was more about the defense in that game turning things around that weren't going too good. SB just had a so-so day. Barely over 50 % passing. So, the jury is still out on the QB.

THe net game is Missouri and SB starts and does well throwing for a little over 200 yards and comes out early with the game inhand and JT comes in and he deos well also, throwing for a little over100 yards with around a 75% completion rate. So, again, it's still not a clear cut situation to us fans. BUt the next week SB starts at Tenn and we beat them, SB was good, not great, but it's at this point that I believe CKS said SB was our guy.

Starts and wins against Charleston Southern and Ga Tech were good performances. We have our hopes up going into the SECC game against BAMA. Everyone knows what happened there, we got boat raced and while SB performed well overall he had two costly turnovers that factored into the loss. Many devoted fans still questioned if he was the guy. WE beat Michigan SBwas flawless, andthen BAMA with SB looking great late.

THe rest is history as they say. But it was never as black and white as some want to make it. Even after the NC game and SB coming back, KCS still recruited Caleb Williams and it wouldn't have been to ride the bench, either.