Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ladd McConkey, Georgia’s leading wide receiver, announces his football plans

SystemSystem Posts: 10,680 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageLadd McConkey, Georgia’s leading wide receiver, announces his football plans

ATHENS — Georgia’s top wide receiver will return for another season with the Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best news I’ve heard today! Reeeeeally like this young man and the way he plays!💯🤣

Lots and lots of heart!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

Seeing a lot of sighs of relief ... but not sure why McConkey of all people was considered likely to transfer or head for the draft in the first place? As for the draft, a 760 yard season for a 6' 185 lb guy who runs a 4.5 40 equates to about a 5th round pick. He would need to come back and put up bigger numbers to get into the first 3 rounds.

As for the portal, Jermaine Burton left because he was only catching 25 balls a year. (Despite the "Burton should have stayed" chatter, Burton set career highs in receptions, yards and TDs in Tuscaloosa.) Dominick Blaylock and Kearis Jackson (the draft in his case)? Same difference. Those guys only caught 15 and 21 passes in 2022, giving either of them less than the 2nd string TE (28) and less combined than the starting tailback (43). But McConkey had 58 catches and 7 rushing attempts. If he doesn't get dinged up during the season, he gets even more. McConkey benefits from what UGA does on offense and has no incentive to go anywhere else.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was hoping McConkey would return. That's a huge boost to an already talented receiver room.

Now, if we can get A.D. Mitchell for another year? Best receiving corps in the SEC - Very likely...

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Entirely rational decision on Ladd's part, just like Dom and Kearis made rational decisions given their situations.

Someone commented on another thread that our WRs were flying the coop. Nothing could be further from the truth.

While we're losing Blaylock and Jackson, we're adding two transfers who are probably more dangerous, along with our best group of freshmen WRs in several years. Plus the returning receiving corps will be more experienced and, in AD and Arian's cases, may be healthier.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, what do you mean by this comment? "There have been questions about the future of A.D. Mitchell."

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm confused about Sedrick Van Pran.

Dawn of the Dawg lists Van Pran as declaring for the NFL, but I haven't seen that reported anywhere else.

And if he hasn't declared for the draft yet, doesn't that mean he's staying because the deadline for declaring was Monday at midnight? What am I missing here?

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, this is awesome news! Thank you for coming back, Ladd! Let's win a couple more championships!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Get ready for the "DAWG Air Raid"......WR's speed down the field, TE's across the middle and RB's out of the backfield.....and when defenses aren't looking, RB's slashing through the holes our huge O-Line has made......I'm counting down the days till Sept 2.....228!

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So glad this DGD is returning! He has been absolutely amazing for the dawgs ever since he cam out of nowhere last year and impacted his offense! So glad we get another season with Ladd! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    jg74jg74 Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited January 2023

@thadec Burton had a so-so year at Alabama considering the QB he was playing with. Although career highs, he did so barely in 3 additional games. Remember he was hurt for a few games at UGA. But he was trying to look out for himself.

As for Blaylock and Jackson, the probably made good choices for themselves.

As for AD, I would love to see what a healthy year could mean for him. He has a leg up on any newcomers because he knows the offense. But he has connections in Texas since he is originally from there.

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

burton would have got more balls this year but he got to watch the playoffs. All about me kind of guy good for bamer

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yesssss !! So glad to read this about Ladd !! Big fan of his !! Go Dawgs !! Go Ladd !!

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like AD wants tor transfer to a team in Texas to be near his son???? Rumor.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate