Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What we learned about Georgia football in first transfer portal window

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhat we learned about Georgia football in first transfer portal window

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Obviously, Kirby has got all of this and is on top of everything else necessary. Just win baby. And go Dawgs!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most of us have been amazed that a QB hasn’t left. There will be 6 running backs 2 seniors, 2 soph and 2 freshman. It will be interesting to see the younger backs work for playing time.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA currently has 91 players on scholarship or signed to come in May/June. If you add Meriweather, hopefully Duce and maybe 1 other February 1st the total could be 94 which is 9 over NCAA limit (85). There will be at least 9 other departures via the portal, medical/academic reasons or non-public early draft entries.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For my money, I'd much rather have Dom and AD stay DAWGS than hopefully make or hope Thomas and Lovett grow into DAWGS. I'm wondering, how is it going to play out for Thomas and Lovett being the #1 go to receivers on their respective teams to being two additions in a very talented receiver pool? I am hoping that both are so confident in their skill set and they are indeed potentially elite players that, given the higher level of competition, they shine even brighter!

It's high time that the presidents and AD's in our leading conferences get together and dismiss the feckless, woke NCAA and create a rules committee to reel in the Transfer Portal and NIL....not to mention allowing biological males to compete in women's sports!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent Question at the beginning of your comments. That is going to be interesting to see how the two new yet veteran receivers work into the Kirby/UGA culture. And I hope and believe that as you stated they will rise to the challenge and embrace the competition from within and without. About your last comments. You are spot on !! And thank you for having the courage and integrity to say it. If the people in power either in the NCAA or within the schools as a collective don’t do something Now to install reasonable checks and balances to these issues, college football will die, at least as it’s been since the game entered into college level sports. NIL is here to stay I think, but there should be universal guidelines and rules established to ensure fairness for Both the players and the schools. Wokeism is gonna be a much, much, more difficult issue to address. But if people of courage and integrity unify and resolve to stand against it, I think it can be defeated. But it’s gonna take those people whoever they might be to become proactive Now as time is definitely not on their side. Side note: Same thing regarding our military. We are Already in deep trouble !! ALL the service branches are Far behind their recruiting goals. And experienced people are leaving the service branches in droves due to wokeism !! Our country is nearly as vulnerable now as prior to Pearl Harbor !! OK all the down voters and off topic voters wear your fingers out !! 😀

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, is Sedric coming back? I thought the deadline was Monday? Did I miss something?

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Brooksie

No reason to/justification for a QB to leave. Only QBs that are considered likely to be 1st round picks after their true junior seasons are going to transfer for playing time while undergraduates. Carson Beck wasn't a top 200 recruit, or a top 10 QB recruit, and was barely a top 50 recruit in the state of Florida so there was no justification for thinking "I could be a first round pick in the 2023 draft if I can get on the field fast enough for a top 10 program" on his part. Gunner Stockton? Same. Was higher regarded than Beck but still not top 150, plus has neither prototypical NFL height or arm.

Now Brock Vandagriff is in a somewhat different situation: #2 QB and top 10 overall. He also has NFL height and is pretty mobile, but not arm strength that would make scouts go "wow" (Beck's arm is stronger, and even his isn't considered to be a Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Pat Mahomes or young Aaron Rodgers cannon by NFL standards). So, not a guy who would say "I can go to any team with a pretty decent supporting cast, have a 99% chance of winning the starting job and enter the 2024 draft as a likely top 20 pick" either.

However, if Vandagriff doesn't beat out Beck this spring then he will likely leave. The reason: unless Beck has a Mac Jones type season in 2023, he is going to play 2 years. That would leave Vandagriff with no shot at the job until 2025 with his eligibility nearly exhausted plus no guarantees that he would even get the job even then. It is just the nature of being one class behind the guy in front of you. Then why come to UGA when a taller QB with a stronger arm was in the class ahead of you? If you go back to 2020 when he committed and saw the Alabama and Florida games that year, absolutely no one believed that SB IV was going to be the starter in 2021 and 2022. Most people expected Beck to get the job either last year or this one, which would have given Vandagriff the job in 2023 or 2024. Or for Beck to turn out to be not particularly good, which would have seen Vandagriff get the job last year or this year. Yes, JT Daniels was on the roster, but his plan was to play 1 season and enter the draft, and the same would have been true of Jamie Newman had he ever showed up.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@reddawg1

For a player to declare for the draft and not tell anyone - coaching staff, media, family, friends - (or tell them but ask them not to disclose it) despite fully knowing that everyone is going to find out 4 days later anyway is extremely rare. It has happened before so you can't say that it never happens. But it is so rare that you would have to wonder about the mindset/mental makeup of a player who would pull a stunt like that.

So why hasn't he announced that he is returning? Because ... there is nothing to announce. It is one thing if a player does something to draw attention to himself, like announce that he is considering entering the draft. But Van Pran hasn't done this, at least not publicly. There has merely been speculation that he would enter trafficked by the usual media and NFL types, and no one should be obligated to respond to things that other people choose to say and write about them of their own accord. Even if Van Pran has done things to spark this speculation by asking the NFL about his grade, talking to potential agents, discussing it with the coaching staff etc. and even having off-the-record convos with journalists, that is the player's business. He is under no obligation to announce that he is returning - which by the way is something that should be presumed anyway - unless he previously announced that he is considering leaving.

So ... after the Monday deadline passed, no idea why Dawgnation kept talking up the "what is Van Pran's status" angle. Even if - or especially if - they are privy to some information that Van Pran and/or UGA has asked them not to reveal.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, you're saying there's a chance!