Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Many Dawgs fans see the Smart era as UGA football’s best ever

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageMany Dawgs fans see the Smart era as UGA football’s best ever

Are we witnessing the all-time “golden age” of Georgia football?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think there is no questions this is the best 7-year period of Georgia football. But the competition is fierce, plus with portal and NIL, how long this will last remains to be seen.

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

To this point, obliquely, I propose that we erect a statue to Greg McGarity, and place it on the corner opposite the statue of Vince (reserving one corner for Kirby). It was he that, recognizing that Kirby was "ripe" to come out, and that a delay might loose the chance to get him to Athens, and who had the cahones to fire one of the most loved and popular in Georgia History, Mark Richt. That alone may make him the greatest AD in Georgia history. As the late Furman Bisher said, Selah.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s a little hard to compare these things sometimes. Dooley & Richt didn’t have the playoff opportunities that the top four teams now have. Coach Dooleys 66,71,82 & 83 teams certainly would have made the playoffs. Coach Richts 2002 team would have & the 07 team even with the 2 loses was probably the best team in the country.

On a side note Ray Goffs 92 team & Jim Donnans 97 teams would’ve probably have been in a four team playoff.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill! A lot of history included that I was unaware of so I am very appreciative of your research and interviews! Always a pleasure to read your work! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great comments and good perspectives!!

Would have been a perfect article to read on a Sunday until I saw Dan Wolken’s name in the article; Dan Wolken is a political hack posing as a sports journalist and I could care less what his opinion is of our Dawgs in this era and back to back or whatever.

Dan Wolken spouted off about changing the CFB schedule and moving it from the Fall due to global warming just this past Summer:

https://www.outkick.com/dan-wolken-college-football-climate-change-threat/

he also produced numerous articles and tweets under his sports “journalist” moniker wanting to have the entire 2020 AND beginning of the 2021 seasons cancelled due to hyperventilating COVID fears not to mention criticizing Head Coaches of teams that didn’t wear their face diapers to his liking; If he could have had his way we would not have even seen our Dawgs play football in 2020 OR 2021, their Championship season.

Anyway, I agree we are definitely in a “Golden” era of college football with our Dawgs and as a Generation X’er, I like reading about other generation Dawg fans perspectives!

I could definitely do without the comments from the “woke” sports journalists from USA Today or any other rag corporate media conglomerate. They don’t care about us Dawg fans or the DAWGS team or the SEC and I am perfectly fine with it staying that way.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks, Bill!

Awesome read and fantastic comparisons of the great eras in UGA. history!

And, yes, it IS a great time to be a Georgia Bulldog!

To paraphrase I. Yamamoto, the Commander of the Combined Japanese fleet during WWII:

“Coach Kirby has awoken a fearful giant and filled it with a terrible resolve!”

Go Dawgs! Four time National Champs!

• Options
    Run_Lindsey_RunRun_Lindsey_Run Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

50 years a Dawg fan .... there has never been anything like what is happening at UGA like the present. The past was filled with many years of promise disappointment and downright heartbreak or even disgust. Kirby, his staff and the mindset of the players has changed all that. I have heard many people say that next year's team will be far superior to this years and that the defense may very well surpass 2021. It is indeed a wonderful time time to be a Dawg fan. I plan to enjoy every snap, every run, every pass, every sack, every turnover, every sideline shot of UGA, every Kirby leap into the air, every touchdown and every win along the journey. The first Natty was incredible. The second was over the top awesome. And next year ... well, boys, IT'S TIME TO GO HUINTING AGAIN, because the Dawgs are going for 3 in 2023!! GO DAWGS.