Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Where Georgia football stands with regard to the 85-man scholarship count, remaining eligibility

SystemSystem Posts: 10,485 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhere Georgia football stands with regard to the 85-man scholarship count, remaining eligibility

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FactCheckerFactChecker Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Too many errors in this list. Joshua Miller and Justyn Rhett have already enrolled at UGA. The author forgot to list Marcus Washington Jr. in the secondary. Players listed doesn’t add up the 13 number and the number should be 14 with Rhett. Finally, the author said he would give years of eligibility remaining, but only did that for a couple of players. Why not put those years in parentheses after each player? For example, Carson Beck, RJr. (3 to play 3 years).

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A good read. Lots of opportunity for young guys to get meaningful snaps this year. I hope they push hard.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The years of eligibility are included in the final section of the article (including your example shown below):

Redshirt Junior/Three years remaining (8): Carson Beck, Arian Smith, Ladd McConkey, Sedrick Van Pran, Chad Lindberg, Tate Ratledge, Sedrick Van Pran, Austin Blaske, Jared Blaske. *Due to COVID-19 2020 pandemic season.

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

Looks great, I am looking forward to see how the team respond to recent success. I trust CKS to have our team ready to play at Elite level. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    lmattoxlmattox Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Ladd McConkey only has 2 years of eligibility remaining - not 3. He redshirted in 2020 (which didn't count anyway because of Covid). He played in 2021 and 2022 so he has 2 years left. I agree....too many errors in this article.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor, I'd love to see an article explaining exactly how we meet the 85 scholarship limit after spring. With 84 current scholarships and 9, possibly more incoming players.....what gives? Surely RaRa doesn't count as he is suspended? Does Dom still count as he has yet to transfer....(Reconsider Dom)? I'm thinking that if you ever thought HC's are overpaid, especially KS, THINK AGAIN! I wouldn't juggle this craziness stress for any amount!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One thing that I'm surprised that hasn't been covered much nationally (at least that I've seen) is the impact the free-COVID-years have had on younger players. Sure, the superstars heading to the NFL will do so when they are ready but most players aren't in that category and so all of those seniors that would've graduated and moved on are staying on for additional year(s). That has to have a HUGE impact on Freshman coming in (that no longer have that option) .

I would think that this would really affect the schools that players are choosing and it'd be interesting to see how the next few years will be impacted.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mostly good information but some errors. Not sure how LMcC and SVPG can have 3 yrs of eligibility remaining. No mention whatsoever of MWash Jr. Took a spot on the team when he could've stayed another year in HS. Then didn't sniff the field all season. Assuming he is still on the team. "Jared Blaske? I assumed Jared Wilson but Jared Wilson was listed in another category.

We know the OLB coach can recruit. Can he coach up a very young group that appears to be the weak link (this season) of the UGA D? Because of the numbers at ILB expect JWalker to get lots of game reps at OLB until the young guys progress. Walker's availability at OLB depends on what Rian Davis does. In a stacked ILB group does RDavis stick around or is he just here to finish his degree before TP#2?

This article hinted at the additional attrition needed to reach 85 by the June reporting date. OL, DL, ILB, DB, WR can all expect to see hits prior to the final 85.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UGADad20 and @lmattox

No, @Kconnorriley is right. The result of the pandemic year means that everyone got an extra year of eligibility regardless. So if you didn't redshirt, you get 5 years. If you did redshirt, you get 6. That is why JT Daniels will be in his 6th year somewhere in 2023 (assuming someone wants him, which is debatable ... his terrible play down the stretch for West Virginia last season convinced everyone that whatever it was that made him a 5 star recruit coming out of high school is long gone due to injury) and he actually will have played in 5 of those years. It is also why Bo Nix will start his 5th season of college football next year (a combination of a minor injury and Dan Lanning's bizarro coaching down the stretch kept him from entering this year's draft, though granted next year's QB draft class won't be nearly as highly regarded).

Not that it matters. McConkey won't stick around after 2023 anyway. He will have his degree and coming back for another season won't change his draft status. But I do agree that people are doing their level best to ignore the massive negative impact of the horrible decision by the NCAA. 1. There was no reason to grant everyone an extra year. 2. If they were going to grant everyone an extra year, they should have made exemptions to the scholarships limit. Instead, tons of kids wound up not getting scholarships or not having them renewed because programs chose to go with 23-25 year olds who were at least proven depth over 17 year old 3 star recruits. Not that I blame them: were I a head coach, I would go with a 24 year old out of the portal over a teenager to be my 2nd string LT too. So glad that after next season this will finally be over.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a better sight than Monken on the recruiting trail. Rare sighting in that picture. Go DAWGS

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Did Dan Jackson quit? Pretty sure no so why is his name nowhere to be found in this article? Unless he did quit, it's kind of disrespectful to a good player who also has starts under his belt.